Author Topic: Hard hunting season so far......  (Read 2957 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hard hunting season so far......
« on: Nov 17, 2007, 01:41 PM »
My guiding season was the hardest I have ever had.  That is another story though.  I saw plenty of easy deer during moose season.  Tracked and dragged deer for other people but had yet to see a deer that I could shoot for myself.  Well until today that is.  My folks are leaving for Anticosti in the morning so my dad could only hunt a half a day. 

my day began with an emergency squat that almost turned into a nightmare.  You all know how it is in the woods when you really gotta go.  Well my handgun slipped off my belt while in positon and almost went in!  I saved it though!  I sat for an hour or so and then met up with my dad to do some 2 man drives.  Well with the second to the last drive done at 9:30am, we decided that he would go high on the hill and I would take the bottom in hopes that the last push would have sent something onto the hill that we did not see.  So we went into action.  Dad went high and I went low.  I just poked along because his scent would be blowing right down the hill to me and any deer on the hill would have come my way.  After about an hour, he called me on the radio and said he was out on the powerlines.  I was about 2 minutes from being out into the pit.  I came around the corner into the pit and saw what I thought was my father facing away from me.  I thought it was him until the freaking buck turned his head and took a step. He stood long enough for me to wheel around on him and then he took a jump.  I fired, he landed, I fired again and he was off to the races.  I put some more slugs in and went to look for blood. When I decided it was a clean miss, I got ran over by a doe. 2 shots fired, 2 misses.  Well I guess I did kill a birch tree dead!

I am pretty embarrassed but it makes for a good hunting story.  By the way, the distances for both deer combined equal less than 50 yards.  ::)

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
Re: Hard hunting season so far......
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2007, 04:44 PM »
The joys of hunting!!!!   We have all had our fair share of misses!   One of my buddies friends shot a 8 pointer with a 21in inside spread.  dressed out at 200 even.  BIG deer!   im off in the morning to wack a small 4 pointer my buddy has been seeing.   haha  i make it sound so easy!!!  I just like fooling myself.... thats all!

~Stefan~

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:08 PM »
Dont feel bad. Ijumped 6 good size does together yesterday emptied my gun on one of them at 15 yards. Well geuss what no blood no hair now that is pathetic

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:14 PM »
I do not believe in buckshot. but had I had it in the gun, it would have been 2 shots and 2 deer. 

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:15 PM »
by the way...this all happened in zone M.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2007, 07:34 PM »
Thats the same unit i livein and hunt this was the firstime i ever had a shoot gun in the woods without buckshot in it. lol I must not have been aiming all that well trying to single out if there was a buck with them. I saw him once durring archerey and he was sporting some real nice head gear wide 5x5.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2007, 08:19 AM »
I was on the western end of the zone.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2007, 03:55 PM »
And I am no better with the buckshot! Shot a bug on the edge of dark last night nice little rack on himabout 10 yards out from me. Well no flashlight felt pretty good about theshot went home had dinner headed out with a few people found some blood and hair decided to let it go until morning. spent six hrs looking for him today. blood trail is stop and go with ocassional hair were he jumps over object then all of a sudden it just stops. I feel horrable that this has happened I hope it clotted up enough. So I can find him to finish the job and it just doesnt go to waste.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2007, 05:38 PM »
That is too bad.  Hope you find him!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.