The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0
« on: Sep 27, 2022, 08:18 AM »
I guess they're discontinuing these so they're on sale. I grabbed one. Anyone else here have experience with these?
I doubt they can replace your $600 Vexilar but these can run on AA batteries so I'm thinking it should be good for hole hopping.

https://marcumtech.com/product/showdown-troller-2-0/

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2022, 08:28 AM »
I have a few of these.great little units.marcum had sales on the complete kit including the performance pack last year.i did not like the performance it seemed less sensitive and lost my jig unless the gain was way up using the Aa batteries but it works great with the 12v.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2022, 09:19 AM »
...seemed less sensitive and lost my jig unless the gain was way up using the Aa batteries but it works great with the 12v.
Hmmm. I'm hoping to carry it around in my coat pocket.
Why would it work better with the single 12v battery than with AAs?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2022, 09:42 AM »
Not sure maybe the cold zaps the aa batteries faster.my buds is the same way.i use energizer rechargeables in mine.dont get me wrong its a great little unit.only marcum product ive ever had good luck with.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2022, 09:55 AM »
I did some research on AA batteries. It seems that alkaline and rechargeable Ni-MH AA batteries tend to run closer to 1.2v while being used (even if claimed to be 1.5v). Either way, it's only 7.2v-9v vs the external battery being 12v. That might explain the performance drop that you describe.

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2022, 09:09 AM »
Thanks for the post Brian, and the info Doc, going to watch some videos on it at lunch. Have everything but a depth finder/flasher. Will get the 12V wire harness with it. Like having to recharge and carry 1 battery vs 6, when I'm able to.
Jake

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2022, 09:53 AM »
Thanks for the post Brian, and the info Doc, going to watch some videos on it at lunch. Have everything but a depth finder/flasher. Will get the 12V wire harness with it. Like having to recharge and carry 1 battery vs 6, when I'm able to.
Jake

A flasher is an investment ...spend some cash now...or save up ...and it will pay off in the long run 3 fold . My Vexilar FL18 was purchased in 2003 and running strong ..other then normal battery replacement it owes me nothing.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2022, 10:29 AM »
I talked with Marcum and they confirmed my suspicion about the voltage difference.
He said that they perform best with at least 9v. Well, "normal" AA batteries operate at 1.2v so 6 x 1.2v = 7.2v
I asked if lithium batteries (which operate at 1.5v) were ok to use in this unit and he confirmed that they were and that the internal circuitry in them wouldn't interfere with the performance of the unit. Those will bring the voltage up to 9v.
So I guess I'll try disposable lithiums to confirm that it performs as well as with the 12v battery and if they work well then I'll get some rechargeable lithiums.

Thanks for the heads up on the batteries, Dr.Speckler.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2022, 11:54 AM »
Brian VT...are you in a Power tool battery platform...Amazon is loaded with the "power wheel " adapters ..with pig tail ends for Milwaukee..Dewalt ..etc
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2022, 11:57 AM »
That's certainly another good option. And I'm also into RC airplanes and helicopters so I have lots of LiPo batteries I could use also.
Those will be fine when sitting. As is the normal deer feeder battery.
But I'm mostly hoping to use this unit without an external battery. At least while I'm hole hopping and scouting new terrain.

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2022, 08:25 AM »
A flasher is an investment ...spend some cash now...or save up ...and it will pay off in the long run 3 fold . My Vexilar FL18 was purchased in 2003 and running strong ..other then normal battery replacement it owes me nothing.

Would you recommend getting a more serious flasher versus this version Diehard? Thanks for the advice, gotta check prices and the classifieds!

Jake

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2022, 08:44 AM »
Would you recommend getting a more serious flasher versus this version Diehard? Thanks for the advice, gotta check prices and the classifieds!

Jake

Yes Yes and Yes . My recomendation would be the Vexilar FL18 ...it will give you years of service ....as it is practically bullet proof ...tons of video on its use/set up to learn from . Low power mode for weedy situations...bottom  zoom from 0-6ft . If your looking at used some really good advice below...Check the cord for nicks and cracks ..as some folks use the transducer as a wrecking ball to pucnh through refrozen holes ,

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2022, 09:01 AM »
Thank Diehard, very much appreciate all the advice. I will be watching that and looking into Vexilar this weekend. Was able to get a really good discount on a Popup Shanty, so its easier to justify the price on a Flasher then, or so I tell myself  :roflmao:

After looking at prices an being close to black friday, I might hold my wallet till then. Saw Farm & Fleet offering 100$ in 2021 off the FL-18 Pro Ice setup, so around 380$ versus 480$. No hardwater for me to use it on yet anyway. :tipup:
Jake

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2022, 12:17 PM »
Thank Diehard, very much appreciate all the advice. I will be watching that and looking into Vexilar this weekend. Was able to get a really good discount on a Popup Shanty, so its easier to justify the price on a Flasher then, or so I tell myself  :roflmao:

After looking at prices an being close to black friday, I might hold my wallet till then. Saw Farm & Fleet offering 100$ in 2021 off the FL-18 Pro Ice setup, so around 380$ versus 480$. No hardwater for me to use it on yet anyway. :tipup:
Jake

I'd recommend keeping an eye on Vexilar's reconditioned listings. I, and a few others I know bought flashers and cameras that way, could not tell they were ever used and come with a warranty like a new one would. I did have have pay shipping, but thought no tax was added.
https://store.vexilar.com/products/reconditioned-products.html

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2022, 12:38 PM »
Thank you for that JR! If I don't find one on their reconditioned site by black Friday I'll pull the trigger on whatever's on sale then.
Jake

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2022, 01:28 PM »
Mills Fleet Farm had a good deal last season on The FL18 Pro Pack ..with free shipping keep an eye every day on the Best Deal thread...also check your PMs if I kick accross a deal I will PM you ..FWIW I tend to find deals every place any time ...Black Friday tends to be blah for anything ice fishing related in general ... but the deal you mentioned my buddy pick it up for that price 350 ish from Mills Fleet ...just remember the the FL18 Blue Genz box does not fit in a bucket ...but usually can be had for a little less. Scheels will price match ...so should you find a good price but shipping kills the deal ..try Scheels cutomer service ..they are fantastic.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.9750

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.