The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake 5  (Read 2380 times)

Offline wvmountaineer

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake 5
« on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:49 AM »
Went out Sunday around 10:00. There was about 1 foot of new snow on lake and 3 inches of slush. I think there is so much weight on the ice, just because as soon as you make your hole you are standing in an inch of water, then after awhile you are standing in slush. Beside that caught 4 kokanee and three perch between 20 to 40 ft.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Lake 5
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:51 PM »
I was thinking of going up there tomorrow...I hate standing in slush though....I didn't know there were any Kokes in that lake...  I just thought it was Perch, Crappie, Bass, and Trout....

Where were you fishing on the lake?

Offline wvmountaineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2008, 07:32 PM »
I have only seen and caught kokes and perch but then again I am only using glow worms and swedish pimples tipped with maggots, along with some oats and zoom mixture to the bottom.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:47 AM »
My bad man, I was thinking of Lion Lake when I wrote that...

Anyway, I went up to Lake 5 yesterday and (having only fished there once before) I went out to where it was obvious others were fishing.  It was a bit cold yesterday morning -5 at 7am, so I set up my new ICE CUBE(which I love) and my video camera and away I went.  Caught 8 perch, and 12 Kokes.  I got three kokes before putting the camera down and the rest I watch take the bait.  If it wasn't for the camera I don't know if I would have gotten the fish, never felt the bites just saw them pick it up on the screen.  Also saw some very nice size Kokes swim buy and completely ignore my offering!!(DAMN)

The guys next to me caught a hog perch, biggest I've ever seen(doesn't mean much...I don't normally target them)...

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:25 AM »
what is zoom mixture?  I assume a mixture of oat and something else?  Never heard of it.  Do you notice a difference in success when using it?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:32 AM »
what is zoom mixture?  I assume a mixture of oat and something else?  Never heard of it.  Do you notice a difference in success when using it?
Zoom is just a different kind of oatmeal...it is all I usually use, I've never tried anything else...  I tends to be smaller than like Quick Quaker Oats...

Offline wvmountaineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:24 PM »
I was told that zoom and oats mixed together gave off a shrimp like scent to kokes and perch, how this person knows this I will never know but he wins a lot of the tournaments, and fishes on the flathead commercially. Yes I do catch more with a little mix in the water it just takes awhile for the fishfinder to settle down.

Go Mountaineers we destroyed Oklahoma

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:41 AM »
I believe that the Zoom/Oatmeal actually resembles the forage that Kokes eat when it is fluttering down through the water column.  Scent doesn't make sense with Zoom/Oatmeal....   Kokanee are very sight oriented.  Have you ever noticed how big their eyes are compared to the size of their head and in comparison with other Salmonids.

Heading back to the 5'er on Sunday to try again.

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:44 PM »
Went out to Lake 5 yesterday (Saturday) for a couple of hours. I caught zip. Some folks I stopped to jaw with had a half dozen middlin' perch and a couple of other guys had a few perch and a couple salmon. Same words from everyone - "pretty slow". There was about 3-4 inches of slush on top of 7 inches of ice. This was my first time out there so I will go out and make a better surveillance later. Hopefully we can get some pretty cold weather to refreeze the top slush on these lakes around here.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Went to the "5"r, on Sunday with two of my buddies, I caught about 8-10 small to medium perch, and 3 Kokes.  My buddy Kevin limited on Kokanee(20), and my buddy Joe only got 2 Kokanee.  It wasn't bad, just a little snowy, and the slush was still, slushy.... ;)

If you guys want to meet up there sometime that would be cool with me... its only 20 minutes from my house.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:18 PM »
Went up to Lake 5 on Sunday with my daughter and a couple buddies.  My daughter caught her first Kokanee all by herself(she went last year but I helped her with the hookups), she had 3 on the ice before I had any!!  Fortunately I caught 11 more before heading home.  My buddy Kevin limited again(20) and Joe got (3).
I will add a picture of SweetPea(my daughter) later...

P.S. Slush and water on the ice was TERRIBLE!   :blink:

Offline wvmountaineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 07:20 AM »
I pulled up to the Lake Saturday and thought there was a tournament. There was about 13 cars lined along the road because there is no public access as of yet. The fishing was slow low numbers and no limits from anyone. Ice was about 10 inches no slush. I turned the lights out when I left about noon, and put the closed sign up.

Neptune I might be up there again next Saturday

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:16 AM »
Well, I know that there are alot of people trying to catch Kokes on Lake five that don't do real well.  The guy I fish with is very good at it, and he has been limiting every time, including yesterday and Saturday so...

I may be up there next Sunday, the 26th, not for sure yet...but thinking on it...

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:47 PM »
Hitting 5'er on Saturday morning, anyone want to meet up?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Went up there at lunch today.  Needed to get away from the idiot brigade at work...

I had 2 hours to get there, fish and get back....  40 minutes total time driving(both ways), and 10 minutes out to the holes and back, so about an hour worth of fishing.  I got 3 on the ice lost one in the hole and lost two under the ice and missed many other hits....

I'm definitely going back tomorrow morning!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.