Author Topic: Frabill Hideout?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing? Hunting? So many decisions!!!
Frabill Hideout?
« on: Jan 29, 2004, 10:29 AM »
Hello out there. I just ordered a Frabill Hideout and it'll be my first shanty. My question is, how do you anchor it down, or is that not going to be a problem? Frabill's site makes no mention of anchors. I guess I'm getting to be a sissy in my old age, but the wind this year seems brutal. Also they claim it to be a two man shelter. I fish with a friend and we fish two holes each.... will there be enough room for that? We fish for panfish only.  
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

Offline Sasquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Frabill Hideout?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2004, 09:49 AM »
I have a frabill shanty.  I anchor it with a 20 inch piece of PVC pipe.  Get a pipe about 2 1/2 inch diameter and cut it to around 20 inches.  Drill a hole in the middle and run a short piece of rope through then knot it (can use a washer to keep the knot from pulling through). I drill an ice hole upwind of the shanty and use the pipe to span the hole.  Works really well and takes no extra equipent to set up.  On tip that I discovered was that a long bungee cord (one that is not too stiff) can be incorporated into the rope to keep tension on the anchor.  That way you don't have to worry so much about the line going slack an the pipe coming out - the closer you drill to the center of the pipe, the less likely it is that you will have the pipe point upward and pull out.  This is a good technique, try it.  Cheap, simple and no extra tools.

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing? Hunting? So many decisions!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2004, 08:39 PM »
Received my Frabill Hideout and it has worked out very well. As for anchoring it, I tried several suggestions, but the one I'm most pleased with is the anchors I got from Cabelas. They were around $25 for the pair and I used them today. Worked great!
Easy to put in and take out, plus they can be used as ice spikes if needed in an emergency.

Semper Fi :D
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2004, 09:05 AM »
I use screw in anchors. They are OK and small to keep on hand. I may have to try the others though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.