Author Topic: Most favorite jigs for panfish  (Read 7017 times)

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Most favorite jigs for panfish
« Reply #30 on: Aug 19, 2015, 10:01 PM »
I see a lot of you guys go with some pretty small jigs when the bite gets slow, didn't really try that last year when it slow.  With the smaller jigs are you getting a lot of smaller fish?
    Big red shack I agree with you 100 percent I should have at least 4-5 rods rigged ready.  I just have to convince the wife. Lol ::)

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Aug 19, 2015, 11:11 PM »
Super small jigs don't mean small fish. When the bite is off often the big fish are still there just not in a kamikaze mood. Since they don't have hands to feel with they'll often mouth something to get the feel and taste it while it's there, easy pickings when it's slow. Watch fish in an aquarium, half their time is spent tasting the fresh crap from the fish above them, seems the only way they can tell edible or not

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Aug 20, 2015, 06:56 AM »
Swift, thank you keep those tips in mind.  When I was younger I used to fish all the time, then I got married.  Well that didn't go so good.  So I figured I would try it again.  (My wife is sitting next to me) and let me tell you how wonderful that is.  Lol. Have two boys and they ruled the roost little league coaching for 12 years, then football and of course they had to try basketball.  I am a archery fanatic, so that's about all been doing.  Getting back into the fishing and didn't realize how much I missed it.  The hard water has got the whole family hooked, including the wife.  A friend told me about ice shanty, so I started reading articles to try and catch up on new techniques.  Just how much the gear has changed is unreal.  Really appreciate how the guys are willing to share the secrets and know how's. Thanks everyone really a great and helpful site.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Aug 20, 2015, 07:52 AM »
a lot of times when atmospheric pressures are fluctuating the fish just won't feel like eating big. They will look for smaller meals. Sometimes the natural foods will be so abundant that they will be stuffed on them and really couldn't fit another bite, but then our tasty little morsel bounces by so they might take it. But at other times, they like a great big active meal. So be ready for those times too cuz often, they won't waste time with little dink snacks. A pimple, or kastmaster or jiggin rap or something like that will be just the trick.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #34 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:50 AM »
tungsten. 3 -5 mm. 
deeper i fish, the bigger/heavier i use. 3 mm takes too long to fish schools in 25' or more. night time i use larger size and glows.
i use 3 brands the most and trying another this season. no clam stuff here of any kind. its all junk in my eyes. no lead jigs either. they are banning them in some states already.
one of my "go to colors" is mad rat by kodiak.
another is school bus yellow by wolfram.
another is alien glow dot.
another is black w/glow dots.
white glow with black dots or stripes by bently and the others.
blues, greens and gold metal work well too.
mainly i look for jigs that have a glass bead after the body to help hide the hook shank and offer glow for low light and night fishing being it gets dark so early in the winter.
trying brantner this season. i placed an order when they had their wedding discount and they look great and supposed to one of the best glows available.

little atom plastic, for the most part, is what i use in plastics. the wedgee is my "go to". great action and good for schools that are in a feeding frenzy. when they are just looking at bait, then spikes only. primarily i use spikes and trying the plastics to see what they do with them when thy start slowing down. like late to mid winter. one lake i fish shuts down completly before spring and so i fish a different lake with different stradegies.

for removing them, another thread has been started just for that. the fish tooth pick sounds good, but i use a pair of short jaws hemostats and keep the jaws opened some so they push the hook back. i don't clamp them. they are handy for removing inserting jigs (when your jig box is over filled) back into the jig box slits. i keep 2 jigs per slit.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Aug 20, 2015, 06:38 PM »
3300 thanks for the info.  Gives me some more options to look at.  I'm really looking at the plastics this year, give me a shot see how well they work for me.  Like I said just getting back into the ice fishing, it was late when we got out last year.  I'm looking forward to hitting first ice this year.  Just Trying to get everything ready so as not to be running around at the last minute. Great tip on using hemostats  for jig box.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:48 PM »
About all you need. Toss in some http://www.kjbplastics.com/joomla/ for whatever your're trying to imitate and you'll be fine

Agree, also like the 4mm for when I want to get down a little quicker. Gold works great on all species.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Aug 23, 2015, 11:16 AM »
I understand what u guys are saying about going to smaller jigs when the bite is slow.  Now when you guys start fishing are you starting off with 2 different sizes and watching what's getting the most bites?  I just never really tried going to small jigs like that, makes sense, can't wait to try.  I always tried the different colors,  are selection of jigs here back in the day were mainly tear drops fished a foot off bottom, what we were taught. 
  Now for the question that has always bugged me(maybe u fishing gods have the answer) lol. How come two holes maybe a foot apart, and one hole produces fish 10-1. I even switched poles just to c if it was the bait. Same depth same bait Y.
   Son had first scrimmage yesterday, unfortunately me and the wife both had to work. Thank god grandparents, they were there for him.  Well he didn't start but was in the game shortly after it started, both ways. Had three tackles and 4 assists. But from grandpas report he was very impressed, which says a lot. Can't wait till this Friday, another game. Oh dad and mom will b there. Just a proud dad sharing with new friends.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Aug 23, 2015, 05:58 PM »
usually I have a few rods rigged and ready to go. I'll have a small horizontal jig, a vertical teardrop and a spoon of some type. usually they will be personal favorites or whatever I was using the day before. What I use first will depend on what I'm targeting first. Usually perch, so I'll start with a vertical teardrop or blade and a waxie or other grub.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Generally start with the 3mm/#16 hook as my base and may go smaller if need be. Rarely need to go deeper than 10'-12' but will start larger if the water is deeper or at night. Black, Gold, Red with Glow Red at night is about all that's used. If they're biting they'll hit nearly anything, if not they tend to lean towards smaller offerings and I'm already there. Golden wither way

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Well I can see I'm going to need to get me some smaller jigs and see what happens, just never really thought it really mattered.  See I was wrong. Are you guys still putting waxies on the smaller jigs or tipping with plastics/rubber?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Aug 23, 2015, 10:06 PM »
Well I can see I'm going to need to get me some smaller jigs and see what happens, just never really thought it really mattered.  See I was wrong. Are you guys still putting waxies on the smaller jigs or tipping with plastics/rubber?
Plastics all the way. Often heavily trimmed to imitate whatever they're eating, nymph, scud, leech, minnow.......... Plastics are easy to work with

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Aug 23, 2015, 10:58 PM »
Thanks swift, appreciate it.  Where ya getting the plastics from, any recommendations on your favorites?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Aug 23, 2015, 11:26 PM »
http://www.kjbplastics.com/joomla/  Depends on what you're trying to imitate but use the Hummer, V, Tri-tail and Sm Globe a lot in the more natural colors. Earthworm, Pumpkin, Crayfish and Black see plenty of daylight action. 50 packs are a good deal, plastic has plenty of action and very durable. Had fun with the Torpedo on horizontal 1/64 and 1/80oz jigs, decent pinhead minnow imitation

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Aug 24, 2015, 07:45 PM »
 The guys that are using the plastics are you guys putting any scent on them?  I never fished plastics ice fishing.
Just wondering how you guys are working them.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:07 PM »
been using ice mr. icehole, pan fish scent and dr juice pan fish scent. i use it on all bait even with live bait i add it to the jig body. i wait to see what they do w/o it 1st tho.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Pautzkes Liquid Krill & Bog Baits Leech Oil for nymph, scud, and leech acting plastics, or whichever Smelly Jelly fishy scent I happen to be carrying that day for minnow looks. To me even the scented plastics still smell like plastic and it needs to be covered, doesn't take much on a small presentation

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Aug 25, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Thanks guys appreciate your answers. What line you guys going with? And pound test.  What is the advantages with the ice line.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Aug 25, 2015, 08:43 PM »
http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/assomicron3.html In 2#, don't need a full spool of it just attach 2 or 3 times your normal working depth and replace as needed

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Aug 25, 2015, 08:51 PM »
2# super high tenacity by asso from link swift provided. use a backer line and then spool up witth ice line of about 50-70 feet. comes in 50 yard spools. if you do it right and can use less than 50 feet each reel you use, you can do 3 reels and when its worn, say one season, strip and flip it and use the other end if you want to save even more cash'ola.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Aug 30, 2015, 08:16 AM »
Any of you guys using spoons for panfish?  I was watching a video where these guys were using spoons and hammering them.  I just thought they were to big. Any suggestions on spoons and size would be appreciated.  And are you guys tipping with bait or plastics.  Do these spoons have treble hooks?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Aug 30, 2015, 09:26 AM »
slendor spoons from custom jig and spins (IS sponsor), try what works for you. i use lots of spikes on a treble and some on the straight hook converion/chain single hook.
i only use spikes when not using plastic.
only time you don't tip a hook is when it has a bead on the hook of the spoon.

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Aug 30, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Heres my go to:
Clam Dingle Drop XL in glow red tipped with a maki plastic
Northland Impulse jigs, comes with a plastic minnow already rigged and has scent inserted in it
A Rat Finkee tipped with a crappie nibble
Custom Jigs and Spins demon
A northland Forage fry jig tipped with a minnow for crappie

I have 4 rods all rigged with the jigs listed above so if ones not working then I move on to the next quickly. Not a bad idea to have multiple rods with an assortment of different presentations. Havent used jigging spoons before so couldn't give an opinion. Panfish scents seem to work wonders for me as well. Makes them finicky crappie take a taste
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Aug 30, 2015, 03:10 PM »
 You guys are awesome it's like having a group of hard water mad scientist. Lol  Thanks for the info be checking out some of those spoons. Be placing an order soon with CJS. Where is the hard water I can't wait

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Aug 30, 2015, 03:42 PM »
 i'll make it easier for ya! you'll want the 1/16 oz

new "pro"colors last season offered in 1/16 oz. some do not have painted eyes if you get the smallest weight.
http://www.customjigs.com/icefishing/hardspoons/proseries_slender.html

older colors and new HAMMERED metals
http://www.customjigs.com/icefishing/hardspoons/slenderspoon.html

wishing they would use a glow epoxy paint on them.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Aug 30, 2015, 04:19 PM »
I'm torn between a size 10 Marmooska and a size 2 Swedish Pimple that's chrome colored with the green prism stripe. 

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:00 PM »
You guys bother setting tip ups while jigging?  I try to set a couple,  really like the polar tip ups.  The kid caught a nice bass last year 20 inches 5 pounds. He was stoked.  Ust run big shiners on them.

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:07 PM »
You guys bother setting tip ups while jigging?  I try to set a couple,  really like the polar tip ups.  The kid caught a nice bass last year 20 inches 5 pounds. He was stoked.  Ust run big shiners on them.

I Always have 1 tip up for northern out while I jig
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Sep 01, 2015, 02:45 AM »
Most of the time I set up tip-ups when I'm jigging, the only time I don't is when I only have an hour or two to fish.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #59 on: Sep 01, 2015, 10:16 AM »
 we are only allowed 3 lines here so I jig one pole with the vexilar and run 2 tip ups for the northerns .whenever I go icefishing I always use this strategy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.