Author Topic: Showdown Digital Fish Finder?  (Read 36841 times)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Showdown Digital Fish Finder?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Just a little feather in Showdowns Cap:  the Showdown Fish Finder is the official Fish Finder of the In-Fisherman Ice Fishing TV show.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #31 on: Oct 22, 2008, 09:25 PM »
I know I'm going to get my head bit off for this, but believe it or not the whole color thing is less definitive than one is lead to believe...I will explain...

this takes a basic understanding of geometry, so if you don't have that, you're on your own    ;) 

Transducers all produce a cone in which they "ping" for the bottom and targets within that cone.  Have you ever wondered how a Fish Finder "sees" objects within that cone?  Draw a triangle on a piece of paper and place three dots in a straight line across the interior, one being in the middle, one halfway between middle and the left leg of the triangle and one virtually on the right leg of the triangle.  Using this as our example, would you guess that your fish finder would put all three of these at the same depth?  I use to believe this, but if you measure from the top point of the triangle(the transducer) to each point you will get three different measurements.  This school of fish would show up on your vexilar or on your showdown as 3 fish all at different depths, when in fact they are all at the same depth.  Now you may be thinking, "I have a dual beam transducer on my Vex."  This only gets you a transition from outer to inner cone(which is somewhat of a benefit, and will appear as a rising fish), but still nothing definitive.  Without three transducer points you can't triangulate exact position, which only leaves "guestimation".

Where does this leave us in relation to Color, well the Vex uses color to delineate  several different situations, signal strength, movement from outer transducer "cone" to inner transducer "cone", and fish size.  In the scenario above a Vex would have 3 different color marks, leaving you to wonder which of the three situations above you are dealing with.  The Showdown is showing equal signal returns at different depths, that's it.
Often when you see a fish appear that it is moving up to your bait on any fish finder, it is actually just moving across the same plane toward your bait.  This whole situations impact is greatly dependent on just how deep you are fishing and what scale you have your finder set to.  Have you ever wondered why the bottom reflection on a Vex/Marcum/Lowrance/Humminbird is some mass of Red then the scale of colors below that?  That is the degree at which your device is sensitive to the conical effects I described above and of course the bottom density, ie. mud or rock.

So until three zone transducers are common place, color is just another marketing tool...oh and it looks pretty    ;D

<-----Begin Ripping into Neptune HERE----->

So your saying I am seeing things when I watch the fish ON camera rise to the bait ,just like it does on the color flasher?  ::)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #32 on: Oct 22, 2008, 09:34 PM »
So your saying I am seeing things when I watch the fish ON camera rise to the bait ,just like it does on the color flasher?  ::)

Nope, I'm saying because of the nature of how fish finders work, you can't be guaranteed that is what is happening, color or not.  Unless you can see the fish with your camera.    :o

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #33 on: Oct 22, 2008, 09:51 PM »
I guess out of the 40 days or so I used the camera last year ,not once did I see that happen. What I do see is the "mark" get fatter and color changes as the fish approaches the jig.

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2008, 10:28 PM »
I think the reason it is the official locator of the show is because they are only located about 4miles apart. Also for the money I love this machine, the only thing i dont like about it is it is really hard to read fish that stay close to bottom(like cats) but since i updated mine I have had no problems at all. Oh and they did try color last year but they were having problems getting it to work right so maybe this year. If I hear anything I will let you know (i live right where they are made). The customer service is great all I do if I break something is go into the shop and within minutes i have what i need to fix it or they have fixed it for me.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #35 on: Oct 24, 2008, 07:18 AM »
If I hear anything I will let you know (i live right where they are made). The customer service is great all I do if I break something is go into the shop and within minutes i have what i need to fix it or they have fixed it for me.

Unknowingly and maybe unwillingly you just became the official IS Showdown Customer Service rep!!!   ;)

Wouldn't hurt to let them know about this community of hard core Ice Fishers!!!

Offline Bear58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2008, 02:33 PM »
Just a little feather in Showdowns Cap:  the Showdown Fish Finder is the official Fish Finder of the In-Fisherman Ice Fishing TV show.

OH OH better get one fast, before the price goes up ........ glad I found this thread, now this goes to the top of the CHRISTMAS  list ;D
OFAH ZONE F

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2008, 04:50 PM »
I got one when they first came out. It was called a VPG then. The next year they upgraded the software. I sent it in for $20 and had it updated. It works great for me. I've caught Bass, Crappie, Perch, Bluegill and Catfish so far. I had an old Lowrance LFP-150 LO-K-TOR before the VPG. The 2 lantern batteries didn't last in winter.

What does it matter if the fish is coming up from the bottom or from the side? Either way it is coming closer to your bait. The finders don't tell you when to set the hook. I still rely on spring bobber to detect the bite.
jbird68

Offline ASCTLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:37 PM »
I searched but didn't see any answer to 2 questions I have.

1) Physically, what size ice hole would the Showdown actually fall through if it unfortunately fell straight down?

2) Will it shoot and read through the ice?  I use a very old LCD and use it to read depth before drilling.  Would not want to lose this ability.

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #39 on: Oct 28, 2008, 09:42 PM »
1) Physically, what size ice hole would the Showdown actually fall through if it unfortunately fell straight down?
2) Will it shoot and read through the ice?  I use a very old LCD and use it to read depth before drilling.  Would not want to lose this ability.

(1) approximately an 8 inch hole is what it could fall down.
(2) Yes it will read through ice if the ice is wet and the clearer the ice the better, just like any Vex, Marcum, Humminbird, Lowrance will do.

Offline ASCTLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:41 AM »
(1) approximately an 8 inch hole is what it could fall down.
(2) Yes it will read through ice if the ice is wet and the clearer the ice the better, just like any Vex, Marcum, Humminbird, Lowrance will do.

Thanks Neptune.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #41 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:47 AM »
Thanks Neptune.

If you had the LCD laying almost flat(Horizontal) it would take a 10+ inch hole to make it through.  The LCD is on a Gimble mount so you can adjust the screen to face you, even if you are standing.

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 30, 2008, 01:48 PM »
I will also put a good word in for their customer service.  I had 2 transducer cable arms break last year and they sent me a new one each time.  Both times it was my fault and I told them that.  Didn't matter, a new arm was sent. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #43 on: Nov 09, 2008, 04:29 PM »
Well, I think the showdown/marcum/vex sonar all show what a fisherman needs to catch fish. The reason I like the Showdown/VPG more is the vertical colum. Makes it really easy to know where your at in the column. Also, if a person is worried about the Showdown fitting down an ice hole, take and bolt on a piece of plywood to the bottom so that it can't fit down the hole.

Offline W_Morrison

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Nov 12, 2008, 06:34 PM »
I'm gonna try a showdown this year.  Hopefully it will work for me, never used a flasher before.  Kinda new to ice fishing and this thing looks pretty easy to use so i'm gonna give it a shot.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 12, 2008, 07:13 PM »
I'm actually gonna order one too, and sell my FL-8. I remember having a brain fart thinking "how could I figure this out? All this is going to tell me is what is directly under me." Duhhh what do ya think the vex does.lol Just kind of funny how the brain gets used to the dial, and cant comprehend an up and down display, when up in down should be more natural to us.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 13, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Kinda bent right now. Was all set to order the Showdown from RedRock. Had to wait for my direct deposit to hit. So found it there for $229.00, with free shipping, and no tax, since they are in MN. Went back today now that I have my check... Find the item not in my cart and now its $269.00  >:(

Not that big of a deal since BPS is selling them for $229.00 and they are 5 minutes from my door, just not I have to pay "the man" sales tax. Hey the $20 could buy me some more Fiskas jigs  :laugh:

Offline TeikasDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 25, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I bought one last year and fished with it.  I'm very happy with it.  Besides using it when I'm jigging I'll carry it with me and drop into holes while I'm setting up my tipups.  I can follow the bait all the way down to where I want it to be.  Then pull it up and go on to the next hole.  You won't see fancy colors like the Marcums or Vex flashers, but it's really easy to read, has a backlight and it's easy to understand.  The top is up and the bottom is down.  Anything in between has a number for the depth.  The closer the fish the darker the bar.
It beats $500 for a Marcum!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

[img width=200 height=80]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/Trooper-Bri/CTlogofinal2.jpg?t=1228

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Thank you for contacting Nature Vision, Inc.

The software update to the Showdown is the 3.2 software version. We currently have a 5.6 version, however, we do not have a set upgrade charge yet. If you want to send your unit in, I can charge you the standard Showdown upgrade cost ($20.00 and shipping) and issue you a return authorization number.

In order to issue a return authorization number, we need the following information (ALL INFORMATION IS REQUIRED):

• Your first and last name
• Your mailing address
• Your phone number
• The exact name of the product you are returning
• The reason for the return
• How long you have owned your product for

Thank you again for contacting Nature Vision, Inc.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:04 PM »
What will the upate give you?
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:05 AM »
not sure, i am going to go get mine updated today and will let you know when I get home.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #51 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Please do let us know, I have version 3.2 also and would be interested in hearing what they have changed....

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:21 PM »
How do you tell what version you have?  I just had Nature Vision send me a transducer arm no questions asked after mine broke...I think I left it all the way out and dropped something on it while it was in my flipover  :-\  but I had the new one a couple of days after I asked for it.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #53 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:41 PM »
If you look on the back of the unit it should have a little sticker with the firmware version number.

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:47 PM »
Looks like the upgrade this time around is kinda minor but I will find out tomorrow night. They haven't official released the update so I am the first one that has got it done other than the field test team. It changes the sensitivity to act more like the gain on the  marcum or vexilars and it changed the settings on the noise so it goes to 15 now instead of 10, also you shouldn't have to use noise at all unless around other machines. Plus they tweaked with the auto zoom and range a little bit. I will let you guys know more about it after I have used it over the weekend. One thing I did learn today was that you should always run in ice mode unless in shallow water around weeds and stuff then take it off and it acts like low power mode on the vexilars.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2009, 03:53 PM »
thanks Neptune.  I heard about the "Ice mode" thing about a week or so ago and it has really changed my outlook on the unit....I was getting a little annoyed with how it worked especially in water deaper than 15' I would lose my jig at the drop of a hat and the unit itself seemed to do some wierd stuff but since I've kept it on ice mode it has been working like advertised.  I'll wait to hear the verdict on the update as I MAY be intereseted in getting mine done.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #56 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I was under the impression that ICE mode was just the LCD heater...at least that's what it says in the instruction manual....

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:08 PM »
That's what I thought too and thought that there was no way turning it on would improve anything other than keeping the display warm but whatever it does seemed to help my unit out.

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:24 PM »
Great info about the update!!   The Showdown should only get better and better with the capability of being updated....  I love this unit!!!

Cheers

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:29 PM »
OK, I am looking to get a new FL20. Why should I look into the VPG first. What are the pros/cons. What about battery life especially when in ice mode using a resistance heater? It does seem to be smaller and lighter than a vex which is always good. I am on the fence.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.