The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster or Jiffy?  (Read 5709 times)

bman

Strikemaster or Jiffy?
« on: Jan 01, 2004, 09:24 PM »
I know this question has come up and may be similar to a “Ford Vs. Chevy” p-ing contest but… I’ve got to ask the pros anyways ;)

I may be finally breaking down and buying a power auger. The hand auger scene is not for me anymore. Maybe if I never borrowed any of my friends power augers I might continue using the hand auger and not want to drink the “Power-Auger” Cool-aid!   ;D

I have used 2HP and 3HP Jiffy gas augers and like them. I want a 2HP / 8" and would like to keep it under $300.

Since I have never used any other brands, I wanted to get some feedback. The Strikemaster MAG 2000 looks good for the money, is light (25 pounds), and does not look too bad to sharpen the blades (I could be wrong). I take care of all of my stuff and expect just about anything I own to have a fair chance at lasting a long time. As far as cutting speed, I don't think I care too much (I probably won't drill more than a dozen holes an outing). However, I do care about the long-term reliability and maintenance. It has to last and be easy to maintain.

One thing I'm unsure of with the strikemaster is the handles. They are Tufflite (plastic?). While I don't think I would break them, I do kind of question how much weight this really saves over tubular steel and if it is worth it. Any comments on this?

For my direct comparison: Jiffy White Lightning or SM Mag2000

Thanks,
Bman-

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Strikemaster or Jiffy?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2004, 09:37 PM »
I have a jiffy 10" weights a lot but  ive seen plenty of jiffy's around that look to be from the 70's - 80's  
personially i think they last

and who cares about weight if the places you go have good access that are flat and you dont have to walk up and down hills or if you use a sled or quad then  weight shouldnt matter

good luck
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

UPfishinnut

« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2004, 09:57 PM »
  I got a 8" strikemaster mag 2000 last year from a friend for a good price because he wanted a 10" auger. The handle was cracked where it clamps under the motor.I called Strike Master and they sent me a new handle free of charge! And I recieved it in 3 or 4 days. The person I spoke to was very friendly and helpful.And like you said the Jiffy's are heavier and I think they are a lot louder. But use your judgement and try both before you spend the money

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2004, 11:47 PM »
I have both a Jiffy 30 and a Strikemaster 2000.  If you fish from your vehicle and or don't mind lugging around the Jiffy AKA "IcePig", It's an extremely durable auger and easy to sharpen and maintain.  My Jiffy has been dropped to many times, (by me only once :-\)  and keeps on clickin'.  Now the Strikemaster is better for long hauls across the ice and cutting a ton of holes.  I believe the Strikemaster is on the "cheesey" side, by this I mean it's plastic and aluminum etc...  I have owned my unit now for 4 years and have found it tempermental in the subzero arctic conditions.  I think either way you go, you will come out ahead.  The biggest difference is wieght! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

trapperdirk

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2004, 02:11 AM »
Yes my Jiffy LEGEND 3HP 10 inch is a heavy pig ... But she sure does drill holes .
  I will never drill her lifetimes worth in my lifetime . Overkill maybe ... But I have no expectations of being let down.... She will be running 40 yrs from now after I'm gone .

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:18 AM »
I would get the Jiffy. I have a Mag2000 and also find it very picky once it gets cold out. Like, once its 10* or below, I put it back in the truck if I want to start it. Its just easier that way. But If I want to pull long enough it will start eventually. Thats restarting it. First time in the morning is fine. Fires on 3rd pull. It works fine until I get around to getting a new one. Its better than any of my buddies augers so no Joneses to keep up with. But knowing what I know now I would do things differently.
Another thing: 25# or 30# after the first 100 steps they both weigh a ton. I got some carpet padding for my shoulder and I dont even get bruised anymore. One of my buddies said I look like the M60 gunner from The NamVets Memorial.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

wsb_bwhntr

« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2004, 12:51 PM »
bman,
I just bought the Jiffy 2 hp 8" Stealth Legend and it weighs 27lbs.  We're talking 2 lbs here.  Yes if you're comparing a model 30 you're talking about a good weight difference, but if you're going with a 2hp you really won't notice much weight difference between them.  When in doubt go with a Jiffy; they last forever, are easy to maintain, and always start.
bill

CTStriper

« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2004, 01:05 PM »
I have had a 8" Jiffy Model 30 for 17 years no and she has never let me down. I finally had to have the carb rebuilt a couple of weeks ago. During that time she was down for repairs, I got to use a Strikemaster 2000 ... I was NOT IMPRESSED. Yes, it was lighter but was way down on power and even at wide open throttle, did not turn the RPM's of my Jiffy. Either auger will cut ice all day long but I'll stick to my Jiffy ;)

bman

« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:37 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone.

Does anyone know how much the 2HP Jiffys weigh exactly? I'm getting mixed feedback on this. Are then 27 pounds or 35 pounds? Their site does not say for any of them.

wsb_bwhntr

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2004, 02:58 PM »
Bman,

The 2HP Jiffy's weigh 27lbs.  The 3 HP weigh 35 lbs.  makes a big difference.
Bill

Offline OLD19

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2004, 10:45 PM »
The mag 2000 won't turn the same rpms as the jiffy cause they only turn half the rpms of the jiffy. From what I can see about the two augers is that they both work fine but it depends on what you want to use them for. If you use them inside a solid wall shack you don't want a fast turning jiffy unless you want to clean up ice chips from every corner of the shack,but if you are out on the open ice they work great. If they start and run then it's better that a spud bar in 2'to3' of ice. I use a Model 50 Jiffy Lite and it only has a 1.5hp engine and I have never had any trouble drilling thru 30" of ice. Just my opinion.
 Keep on the top of the ice.

f1sh1nfool

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:33 PM »
I have a 9" jiffy 2 horse legend lightning with de-icer armor.  this is a whole cutting animal... it is a little heavier than the strikemaster  but i don't mind too much.  i bought it new from cabelas at a sidewalk sale... saved a c-note on it.  i would buy a jiffy again,  but they are so reliable... i probably won't ever have to.   and the nine inch hole is just the right size.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2004, 05:28 PM »
I have a strikemaster 8"... I like it has never given me any problems. :)

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Did anyone but the new Strikemaster Lazer Mag Ultra with the 2 hp chainsaw motor and the 9" triple blade system?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2004, 10:01 PM »
The Lazer Mag Ultra is not new. They were out last year. Too much blade on the 9" for the 2hp motor. But with a 3hp that 3 blade system would cut like mad.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline hunter5156

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2004, 02:56 PM »
I have The mag 2000 and its the best auger around. I have used the jiffy 30 and feel that there is no need for the extra weight and hp. the strickmaster starts up on the first pull and I have never had any problems going through the ice.

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Strikemaster or Jiffy?
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2004, 06:06 PM »
I used my new S Master L Mag today. 2nd pull, it stayed running and cut like a surgen.  14" of ice.....10 seconds.

2 hp is all thats needed, I had a 3 hp monster and this one cuts faster and is lighter.

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2004, 11:15 AM »
Just for comparison, I recentl bought a 2 h.p. Eskimo Mako from Cabela's for under $300 shipped.Starts right up, about 28# and easy to handle-they were out of the Jiffy's at the time of ordering, however, the Eskimo seems to be a well build unit. You may want to consider buying one of those Ice Kicker attachments for your hand auger, w/cordless drill (see discussion on this forum). I saw the unit demo'd by the guy who invented the attachment-worked well, as good as my gas auger! No problem drilling thru 15" of Lake erie ice in the matter of seconds-I wished I would have been aware of the devise before ordering the Eskimo.

nuke1neil

« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2004, 11:15 AM »
same jiffy 23 yrs,cuts like crazy.you can find them faster and you can them lighter and maybe cheaper,but will they last like a jiffy?I think in 23 yrs I've had to tighten one bolt!

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2004, 09:03 AM »
I think it is what you prefer. I have used a jiffy model 10,one of the old 110 nut crackers and a jiffy legend. I just bought a mag 2000 with 10in blade. The biggest difference is weight and rpms. The strikemaster turns at a slower rpm but has some serious torque. One problem that I saw with the jiffy model 10 and the new legend was a weird clutch slippage in both the models on a couple of different occasions.The strikemaster is a little slower but it is not as tiring drilling 30+ holes.I will pound her hard this year and will see how she takes it for next year ;)
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2004, 05:48 PM »
I just bought a strikemaster 2000, graduated from hand "auger hell" best investment I ever made both jiffy and strikemaster make great products but the price is different. Pay a little more for jiffy. I believe as long as you take care of it, it will run as advertised. Good luck in your purchase and welcome to "auger heaven" you'll know what I mean when you drill your first couple of holes and are not too pooped to fish lol ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

icesaw

« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2004, 05:43 AM »
My dad and I have a Strikemaster2000 it is a good deal your right a Jiffy is a little more but I found out some Jiffys get alot of problem

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.