The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Power drill attachments, are they worth it?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Auger Power drill attachments, are they worth it?
« on: Feb 17, 2005, 03:25 PM »
I have a hand held auger and although its not as quick as a power auger I have not issues with the time it takes to make my holes. I have been seeing a bunch of portable drill attachment bits for augers on e-bay and I want to know if its worth it? how powerful a drill do you need to run an auger?

stumper1300

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger Power drill attachments, are they worth it?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:03 PM »
No, it's not worth it...they don't get it done in my opinion... not speaking from personal experience, but a cordless drill doesn't quite have the power of 2HP Tecumseh engine, does it?   :D ::)
Keep drilling with your hand auger, its quicker... trust me. If you have the money, get a power auger, but it's not needed. Guys do just fine with an ice spud.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:20 PM »
I haven't posted on this sub. even though it has come up a few times in the last year or 2. A few years ago I saw one of those on ebay and it got me thinking. I have a multitude of industrial cordless drills and one day I made an adapter to fit on a DeWalt 18v XTP 1/2" drill. That particular drill costs about $300 new give or take. Based on my experience I would spend the money on a power auger time and time again before I would put a drill through that. It will do the job kind of, but you will most likely need to replace your drill in short order and at $300 a pop it is far cheaper to buy an auger meant for the job. My .02

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:40 PM »
It will do the job kind of, but you will most likely need to replace your drill in short order and at $300 a pop it is far cheaper to buy an auger meant for the job. My .02
Exactly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.