The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand Auger's Replacement Blades  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
Hand Auger's Replacement Blades
« on: Jan 29, 2005, 07:41 AM »
Going to try and sharppen my Strikemaster Mora blades there sharp enough to shave now but was wondering if they where put on upside down. There is a no this end up stamped on metal. I took 20 Min's to drill 8inch hole in 4-5 inches of ice is this normal?? Always had power auger and nothing to compare it to!
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline buckshot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stepping lightly yet!
Re: Hand Auger's Replacement Blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2005, 08:34 AM »
No this isn't normal.  The flat side of the blade should be down when placing them on your auger.  From past experience sharpening blades it is the utmost importance that the angle remain the same.  You mess with that and you will have problems.  You might want to consider a set of replacement blades the way it sounds if they were not on upside down.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2005, 08:47 AM »
Definitely not normal.  Should only take a matter of seconds.  I agree with buckshot in that sharpening attempts are usually futile, given the curvature of the blades it can be tough to maintain the correct angle.  It doesn't take much to make those blades useless....  Also, inspect the cutting edges for any damage.  Just a small chip can render the blades useless.  I would suspect dull or damaged over the blades being on wrong.  You got through, if the blades were upside down they wouldn't cut at all....

Trevor

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2005, 10:29 AM »
Sharpened blades works better still took several mins to drill but could live with that. Will take a little more time sharpening and see if that works out .
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline firestormhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2005, 11:27 AM »
gaitor,
When I useto Sharpen my Blades,I always Sharpened  them with a Hand heald Broad Head Sharpener
 Run it over the edge a few times and this work awsome,puts a razor sharp edge without Changing the angle of the Blade.
 I don't know how you Sharpen them,give this a try I think you will be Surprized,let me know how it works out.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Put the $15.00 you will spend on that 8" mora for blades and apply it towards a 6" lazer model. You wont be sorry!!!!!

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2005, 09:44 AM »
Definately not normal. If you try sharpening the blade and you get the angle off just a little it can really screw things up. I usually replace mine when they get bad.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2005, 10:01 AM »
Sharpened blades works better still took several mins to drill but could live with that. Will take a little more time sharpening and see if that works out .

You might not like it much Gator if the ice grows any thicker or if you wish to drill lots of holes.  It should easily take under ten seconds to get through 4"-5".  I would definitely change those blades.....you'll love it ;)

Trevor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.