The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New Jiffy bogs down  (Read 3063 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
New Jiffy bogs down
« on: Jan 19, 2005, 09:59 PM »
I just bought a new 8" Jiffy Stealth. I was so stoked to get it out on the ice. The first time out the engine would bog down a few times each time I would drill a hole. Any thoughts on why? Is there a break in period? Should I be mixing the gas differently? It's the 2hp model and seems to cut easily when it's running. Help.

trapperdirk

Re: New Jiffy bogs down
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2005, 04:28 AM »
Let her warm up good before you put her under load and maybe you need to open the highspeed jet up a bit . :-\

TD

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2005, 09:15 AM »
My buddy's does the same thing in his stealth.We have played with the jets and everything.But what seems to help is to allow it to warm up for a longer period of time than most other augers.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline geckoinmypants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • YOU WANNA CATCH WHAT ?????
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:06 PM »
I bought the jiffy legend 2hp (same motor as stealth) first time out I drilled 6 holes. Turned it off for 10 min. went to pull it and the piece that turns the fly wheel snapped off inside and siezed the motor. I took it back and got the 3 hp. Works much, much better.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:27 PM »
used my stealth again and tried to let it warm up a little more this time. It wasn't as bad, but I can't drill a single hole without picking the auger up a little to ease up on the engine. Otherwise the blade will stop. I find myself trying to hold the auger out of the hole and ease it in. Is it just underpowered? Or just not set up right?

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Same thing today! My buddy, was at it again at cussing and swearin at that thing! Doin the same thing as you!I told him to take it in to get checked out. He didnt like that my Strikemaster mag 2000 was runnin like it was in subzero temps with a half broken pull string 8)
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:46 PM »
Nothing like a Tanaka engine!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2005, 05:53 AM »
Well I had to play with my buddys new 2hp Jiffy last year to get the jets setup right aswell . Was a bogger . It has a ten inch drill on it and poked holes in the ice 30 inches after that no prob and is still doing fine .To tell you the truth I have yet to see a Jiffy run right out of the box for some reason for the last 5 or 6 years . :-\ Mines improved with age and use and of course the Opti 2 oil I use .Check your gap on your plug as well and always carry a spare plug and wrench .
  Bushbunny that chainsaw engine you use just roars like anything would because of the airplane fuel you run in it but it's days are numbered because I can hear her screeching all the way to Ontario now . LOL ;D
  WVBoy as far as I know those strikemaster engines are just another Tecumseh like the Jiffy has so as far as how it runs, shouldn't have anything to do with brand . ;)
  Seems to be an exceptionally bad year this year for augers that I see from reading the boards . :-\

TD

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:02 AM »
I agree with TD.These engines need some adjustment to the carb and some break-in when new but will then run fine.Almost every new auger here in Wyoming needs carb adjust because they are built and set up at low altitude and then we try and run them at 5000 feet or above and they are running way to rich.Tweak the jets alittle and the engine should purr for you.
                                                                Elkman

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2005, 09:45 PM »
I asked a mechanic about this problem and he said that the new engines have to pass the California emissions test and they come from the manufacturer set too lean. The good old EPA even has to screw with our ice fishing. I for one am getting darn tired of the government babysitting  us. ??? ??? ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2005, 03:57 PM »
Last time i went out my dad drilled the first hole and the ice wasn't as thick as he thought it was :o and it sucked our Jiffy Legend 10 inch right down to the hole! got water in the carb and cold air for the air cooler blowing on it froze it right up, had to keep pulling the rip cord to thaw it out. :tipup:

P.S I'm getting sick
of the government :callcops: interfering with our sports too, if there going to mes with someone why cant they mess with those hippie envirmentalist?

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline geckoinmypants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • YOU WANNA CATCH WHAT ?????
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:55 PM »
Whats wrong with hippies? we love to fish!!It's those lesbo enviro d*ke's who hate fur, love veggies, and dont no what to do with their time but protest and say no to sausage !

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:27 PM »
I gusse your right in some casses but in my are alot of the straghte hippes say that we shouldnt be aloude to practice catch adn realse becasue it kills the fish, the gays and lesbos want to make us all like them, but thats just in my area.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2005, 11:09 PM »
Trapper, You are right about havin the same engine.They are all tecumsehs! I think that strikemaster uses a Mora blade though. These last few years have been bad for augers!! I might just have to get my hands back on that old 8in jiffy "nutcracker" auger I gave up to a friend that runs like a champ!!!

trapperdirk

« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2005, 06:55 AM »
Ok lads, this is our equipment board and were either trying to help out or learn on it, so unless you have a reason to be cutting the hair of hippy activists during icefishing and having a prob with the equipment let it go or take it to another board such as G.OM.'s .

WVboy. From what I've seen the majority use the tecumseh engines and the difference is in the linkages,handles and drill and blades and so I guess it's becoming my pet peeve at the moment when were told that one is a better machine than the other judging how they run by the make .Then of course we have the Bushbunny's and Bob D's that chuckle cause they run those little weasels of Tanaka engines. ;D I think maybe a bounty should be put on those Nils guys that come around laughing . ;D

TD

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:56 PM »
I gotta admit guys and gals, my auger is the best and that is all there is to it. Brand doesn't matter. What matters is what you prefer. Mine drills at just the right speed for me and runs just the way I like it. I would hate to live my life in a big hurry all the time. I guess my reasoning is that I am about at retirement age and I like things a little slower now. I guess if I was younger I would be going b*lls to the wall too. Anyway, my dogs better than yours. LOL. ;) ;D ::) ;) ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:27 PM »
Well my dog will eat yours and you too because your slow . ;) ;D.And jiffy rules and will outchomp any little screechy tanaka and drill a hole big enough that the Nils will fit and go to the bottom of the lake where it belongs as fish structure,, so there . :P LOL ;D
   Man I feel better now . ;D

TD

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Gee I'm glad you feel better. Hope I didn't trip your trigger. Your half right. LOL ;)

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2005, 02:42 AM »
TD, good to see you get if off your chest!!! ;D ;D  When you have returned to reality, my only question is why you would want a bounty on the best auger?   ;) ;D

Offline Kanes33

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2005, 12:10 PM »
Hello,

Id first check the gap on your plug. I bought a Jiffy Lightning this year, pulled the plug and it was set at .015in. Owners manual says .030in. Quite a difference there. I noticed it ran better.

Kane

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.