The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice augers for ice over 6ft thick  (Read 2756 times)

rsb

Ice augers for ice over 6ft thick
« on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:26 PM »
I work in the Canadian Arctic and need to drill holes in lake ice that's usually about 6 or 7ft thick at the end of May.  We use 2 auger flights that are lined up to provide one long blade.  In the past I've used the Eskimo (Tecumseh) or Jiffy motor but now I see there are a number of others that I'm not familiar with.  Obviously, we need a fair amount of power--3HP--, and something relable (we'll be at 80N so no stores close by!).  In particular, I'd be interested in your experiences with the Strikemaster Lazer (4 blade) system.  The ones we've used before just have a single flat blade.  Thanks!

hali-man

Re: Ice augers for ice over 6ft thick
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Jesus! Ever consider dynamite? ;D
Welcome to IS- I hope someone can help you out with that one.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:51 PM »
Yikes! I've only drilled with mine to about 3'. I'm sure there are a whole new set of problems when drilling that deep. What are you fishing for ...oil?  ;) Nils Master makes extensions that are actual flights, so I would expect that they can probably drill are deep as you are going to go. You are going to want a shaving blade unit for sure. Fighting a chipper through 6' of ice would be a real pain.

If you go Strike Master, I would go with the 2 blade. The 4 blade is better for re-opening holes, but the 2 blade units are faster and cheaper to replace blades on.

JMO..

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Well you got me beat by along shot because the thickest I ever recall going through was about 4 ft and normally it's 3ft max for me and often the last few years its around 30 inches . Now Bob D that little 27 cc engine or whatever you use I would love to see go through 6-7 ft . LOL . ;D Man even for a 3hp Jiffy that has to be some kind of a chew . :-\  WOW is all I can say and would like to see that done by only using extensions . :o I think I would start some huge holes early in the season and maintain them rather than attempt this from 0-7 ft . ;)

TD

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:32 PM »
That brings back memories of choppering into lakes and streams in the NWT in mid-winter to take samples (1970's) and having to put 2 -18" extensions on our auger and holding it over our heads to get it started.  A pain in the *$$.  But we did it.  We used a 2 - man auger, equipped with double handle bars out opposite sides of the auger.  And I think the auger was more powerful than 3 hp.  There may be custom earth (post hole) augers that are equipped for 2 man operation that you may be able to convert, or may come with an ice blade.  Try contacting the Polar Continental Shelf Project (Natural Resources Canada) who supply logistical support for scientific expeditions.  They have all kinds of ideas, and helped me in the past.  Here's a link that has a "contact us" side link:
http://polar.nrcan.gc.ca/

Good luck, and keep us posted, I'm certainly still interested.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline friendly fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keeping the fish on the line
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:00 PM »
buy a grain auger and attacha blade to it LOL

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2005, 10:46 PM »
I hope that when you get it figured out you send us some pictures. ??? Would love to see an auger drilling 6' of ice.

Fran 8)
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2005, 11:10 PM »
6ft of Ice :o Oh man! You better call the Well Drilling Company in your area! Do they even make extensions that long? If so, They need to make a 5hp Auger! Id buy it ;D
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Brampton Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2005, 06:30 AM »
 :o :o How about a Kubota tractor with a post hole digger on the back??? ;D ;D
If I can't hunt and fish in heaven, then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2005, 01:42 PM »
I watched The Day After Tomorrow last night. They were drilling through 22' of ice with an auger mounted onto a small ATV tpe deal.
Made me think of this thread.  ;D

Seriously, though, they were collecting scientific data for a government agency.
I saw Monophil mentioned this, too. You might want to look into that.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2005, 08:40 PM »
Here is  a pic of the Nils with one 28" extension. That puts the actual cutting lenght of it a wisker under 6'. So, two extensions would get you what you need. I'll work on getting some ice built up so I can take a video of it cutting. I believe the Canadian Maritime uses the 6" Nils hand augers with the extensions for some of the work they do.

trapperdirk

« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2005, 11:50 PM »
Your a mad man BOB D .LOL ;D I think you belong somewhere they drill that kind of ice away from civilization .LOL ;D Get them Nils to use a 10 inch bore and I'll have a look at them but not before . ;) ;D

TD

hali-man

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2005, 12:27 AM »
How do you drill with that thing, Bob?
Do ya bring a ladder?  ;D

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2005, 06:45 AM »
How do you drill with that thing, Bob?
Do ya bring a ladder?  ;D

Actually....I can use with out one. If I had a second extension, I'd need a boost. ;) Nils require NO pressure to cut. So as long as you can reach the trigger, you are good to go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.