The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Gas Information!  (Read 1733 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Auger Gas Information!
« on: Jan 15, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Talked to my local tecumseh small engine repair shop the other day after breaking my pull string, and attempting ot fix it myself.Oops! Anyway, they made the comment that everybody was bringing their augers in for repair.So, I asked why? I was told that the biggest problem with power augers is having to rebuild the carbs due to using bad or old gas.They told me to use the highest octane of gas possible!Also, they just returned from a tecumseh meeting and tecumseh suggest that gas should not be used if its more than 10days old! It went from 30 days to 10 days!! Seems a little extreme to me but they had a good point! Small engines especially 2strokes have a hard time with the gas we use because of the impurities in it and the longer it sits the nastier it gets.I was told that small engines and car engines are much different and should be treated differently. Points well taken.And some good info that will hopefully keep me out of the shop ;)
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

trying the ice

Re: Auger Gas Information!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2005, 08:56 PM »
The pull string on my Eskimo Mako (Tecumseh engine) also broke.  It had only been used 3 times and started relatively easy each time, so I was upset that it broke so quickly.  Since it is still under warranty, it appears that they will pay for the repair (spring also broke).  I called a few of the authorized Tecumseh service centers and got different answers on if it would be covered or not

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Because it's best to keep the gas for the auger fresh, what would you do with the unused gas that is getting a little old? 

Would it be OK to put a gallon or so in my truck (with a 24:1 mix) just to get rid of it, or would it foul the plugs and cause me problems?

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2005, 01:21 AM »
I wondered the same thing about getting rid of old gas? I wonder if such a small amount will affect anything in such a small amount if you used it in your vehicle? I think that one thing that helps it to only use a 1 gallon container for your auger so you use it up a lot quicker than a 2 gallon or larger.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2005, 09:34 PM »
WVBoy -  did the mechanic mention anything about using gasohol (10% ethyl alcohol) in the augers?  As more and more states and provinces are talking of converting to gasohol, I wonder if Jiffy or Strikemaster (Tecumseh) are modifying their engines to account for the different gas mix?

----- I just dump my old outboard gas or auger gas into the van's gas tank whenever I fill up.  I add maybe 1 gallon to a fill of gas for the Dodge caravan.  No problems running so far, because the 2-cycle oil is designed to burn ashless and leave no burn residue in the engine.  I use Stabil in all my 2-cycle mixed gas.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2005, 11:06 PM »
WVBoy -  did the mechanic mention anything about using gasohol (10% ethyl alcohol) in the augers?  As more and more states and provinces are talking of converting to gasohol, I wonder if Jiffy or Strikemaster (Tecumseh) are modifying their engines to account for the different gas mix?

----- I just dump my old outboard gas or auger gas into the van's gas tank whenever I fill up.  I add maybe 1 gallon to a fill of gas for the Dodge caravan.  No problems running so far, because the 2-cycle oil is designed to burn ashless and leave no burn residue in the engine.  I use Stabil in all my 2-cycle mixed gas.
Hopefully I will get my Pull Start back tomarrow and I will ask him about Gasohol.Sounds like a bad @ss Combination for a Auger :o

Jarrod32

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2005, 03:21 PM »
jigwiggler...yeah, you can dump it in your truck without any problem.  A gallon of mixed gas (auger or boat motor) in a 20+ gallon tank won't hurt your truck at all.  I've done that for years...I've never done more than a gallon or so at a time, though.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2005, 09:39 PM »
I run it through my pickup a gallon at a time. Years ago people poured an oil into their gas tank called upper lube. It was an upper cylinder lubricant. I have no idea whether it bothers fuel injection or not.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.