The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Augers  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Augers
« on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:15 AM »
We currently have a Jiffy 30 gas powered auger that is 20 years. It was rebuilt last year, and we are just waiting for some safe ice to test or use it. I know the new thing is battery powered augers but spending $500 to $700 when we have an auger is a little hard to take. What is everyone else doing?

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
Re: Ice Augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:16 AM »
Nils 6 inch hand auger.  Western PA I haven't had to churn thru more than 8 inches in a while.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:26 AM »
If you piece meal a cordless set up  together a lil at at a time ...end of year sales Amazon Warehouse deal etc ...it is less of a sting . You can get a great deal $200-$250 with some sales on a cordless combo ...auger drill units ..run the gambit from hand auger set ups to compostite set ups ...$50-$230. ..Choose your poision ..Clam Plates can be had fro $55-$90 the extension(required for most hand drills go from $16-$24 .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:26 AM »
My drill set up cost around 250 and can drill probably well over 100-150 holes on a charge of 8” or less ice

$150 fRigid octane hammer with 4ah battery that was a deal a couple years ago at Home Depot before Xmas

$80 for Eskimo silver tip I got sake

$15 Ht enterprise adapter

$5 for all 12” thread, washers and nylon lock nut to keep auger from going through ice if disconnected from drill

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:46 AM »
I have a 30 year old Jiffy 30 that looks like new. It starts with 3 pulls at the start of the season and was never rebuilt (I drill roughly 300 holes a season). I can’t bear getting rid of the old girl even though she’s about 35 pounds. I just plop her in the sled or on top of the shelter and go.
  Besides, I know the noise ticks off the yuppie cross country skiers based on the dirt looks.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:05 PM »
Ion Lithium.  Hasn’t leaked a drop of gas mix in my SUV yet.  ;D

Offline Emptybucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:43 PM »
Anyone have issues with thier Ion gen 1? Last year mine seemed to drill a few holes and lose battery power, it was very cold and even my extra battery lost power quick. Just bought a new 5 amp and I'm hoping there are no other issues. This will be my 3rd or 4th year using the Ion, first few years no problems.     
Ice is cool!

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:12 AM »
No need to spend 500-700$. My Milwaukee fuel was 200$ and my strikemaster lite flite was 180$. Nothing else required. My setup weighs like 12 pounds and punches holes in seconds. I've been out 3 times this year and haven't charged the battery its showing 50% still.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:21 AM »
I bought my Milwaukee Fuel 5 years ago and spent 300. Another $15 for the adapter and I used my 8” Strikemaster Mora hand auger to convert to electric. I needed a new(good) drill anyway so it was a no-brainer!   @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Cat panfield

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:57 AM »
I went with an ion lithium last year. It was the best thing I ever did fishing.  Lightened my sled up a noticable difference.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2022, 11:07 AM »
Yeah, Ion is a game changer…

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:00 PM »
i have a gas powered auger but i much prefer to use my 7inch hand auger unless the ice is very thick.
the new electric augers are fantastic but in south western pa our ice season is so short or sometimes not at all
that i cant see spending $700 on an auger i might only get to use 2 or 3 times a year.
now if i lived somewhere that actually got alot of ice and had a season then an electric i would have .
as far as a hand auger goes. i like a 7inch auger . ive caught fish that wouldnt fit thru a 6in hole
but ive never caught one that wouldnt fit thru a 7inch hole.
and an 8 inch auger wears you out too fast just my 2 cents

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:22 PM »
Ion G2 for most of my needs. I have the 6ah 40V battery, so far most I've drilled is 1600 inches in a day and still had power. Only got it last year, so hoping battery lasts a long time, as they seem to be harder to come by these day. Get spare blades to carry around, if you drill too shallow or into debris, you may need to switch blades unless you can resharpen properly on the spot.

I also have both 6 and 8 inch fin bore manual augers, I use the 8 inch early season up until 8-9 inches of ice, and the 6 inch is my go to for perch/bass up until 12-15 inches or so, also my spare. I actually enjoy using a manual, the cardio workout is a bonus ;)

Offline BuckTrout15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:38 PM »
Any opinion on Eskimo hand augers? I'm new to the hardwater and didn't want to drop $200+ on an auger when I only expect to go on a few trips a year. I ordered an 8" Eskimo auger online because it was cheap and all the reviews seemed positive.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:46 PM »
Any opinion on Eskimo hand augers? I'm new to the hardwater and didn't want to drop $200+ on an auger when I only expect to go on a few trips a year. I ordered an 8" Eskimo auger online because it was cheap and all the reviews seemed positive.
It will be fine.  For a few trips a year it would be a waste to spend a lot of money.  If you get hooked on the sport you can upgrade later. 

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:13 PM »

I rocked an 8 inch Eskimo and auger for 15 years only sharpened blades and simple maintenance.  It’ll Do just fine.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline VD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:19 PM »
Here is my path over few years, I guess, common for many beginners (ice is not too thick in NE PA):

Hand auger(2015) -> add drill adapter(2018) -> Eskimo 8" pistol bit(2020) -> new drill Metabo HPT 36V(2021)

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:16 AM »
I went to a Dewalt hammer drill with an adapter to my old strikemaster. It’s great.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:10 AM »
If I had to replace my auger I'd get another gas auger.  The reason is they're cheaper, I can get it fixed just about any where, and for the price of the replacement batteries from what I've seen that run around $200 each I can just about buy a new gas auger. 

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:21 AM »
If I had to replace my auger I'd get another gas auger.  The reason is they're cheaper, I can get it fixed just about any where, and for the price of the replacement batteries from what I've seen that run around $200 each I can just about buy a new gas auger.

Propane, Chris, propane

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2022, 02:52 PM »
First year for me not using a hand auger.... It's been amazing.  Clam Plate, 7" Nero and Metabo 36v drill.  It actually pulls me down towards the ice...I put no pressure on the rig.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2022, 03:22 PM »
First year for me not using a hand auger.... It's been amazing.  Clam Plate, 7" Nero and Metabo 36v drill.  It actually pulls me down towards the ice...I put no pressure on the rig.

It's one of the best innovations for ice fishing imo.   

Offline MMWood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:23 PM »
Love my 36v metabo!!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:47 AM »

It's one of the best innovations for ice fishing imo.

I’d say it’s THE best ice fishing innovation!  :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:54 AM »
Even though the Nero cut extremely easy, it still would make you break a sweat chasing roaming crappies.  This drill is amazing even when the ice was glass hard. 2 seconds per hole...

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2022, 11:05 AM »
I’d say it’s THE best ice fishing innovation!  :o

....better than a flasher/sonar?

Offline icebreaker12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2022, 04:18 PM »
I went to a Dewalt hammer drill with an adapter to my old strikemaster. It’s great.

I run the same set up. No complaints. Always carry multiple batteries and never use more than one.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:57 AM »

....better than a flasher/sonar?

Well, you can use it even if you don’t have a flasher or sonar, so I’d say yes!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:32 PM »
We run with a Ion,..3Ah,..Gen 1
 ITS much better than Eskimo gas...I still keep our hand auger,..for back up..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.