The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Tanaka 270 Spark Plug Color  (Read 4047 times)

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
Tanaka 270 Spark Plug Color
« on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Ok here's the deal.  I had a bit of a blip while taking the white plastic plug out that covers the air/fuel adjustment and ended up having to completely reset the carb.  Turned it all the way in and backed it out 1 1/2 turn and adjusted from there.  Augers starts better now than before which was what I was after but just need reassurance that it set where I wont have any problems are motor failure.  At start up it seems to spin a little faster for the first 15 - 20 seconds while its warming up.  Plenty of visible smoke at idle and WOT.  Running amsoil saber at ~85:1.  Plug showed a light gray color on the strap after I drilled a dozen holes and checked it.  At idle it looks oily and brown.  Can anybody post a picture of what their plug looks like after normal use?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tanaka 270 Spark Plug Color
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Never looked. Never had a reason. Those colors sound correct to me.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:19 PM »
?? There should be no smoke running Amsoil Sabre at 85:1 

Here's your chart in color.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:20 PM »
Plug color at proper temp and mixture should be a "fawn tan".  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:37 PM »

I've read that synthetic oils will appear more gray on spark plug reading

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:42 PM »
That plug looks just fine,but I'd clean that spot on the edge (if it's a deposit) with some very fine emery "jewlers" cloth, put some plug thread lube on it, and reinstall. Keep an eye on it..... ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2015, 02:09 PM »
The spot appeared to be wet excess oil that would just wipe off.  That's why I'm wondering if its running a little on the rich side.  I know at factory setting it smoked a little bit but I think its a little bit more noticeable now.   

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2015, 02:14 PM »
.204, may I kindly ask if your are certain of the 85:1 ratio ?   

Also, how long has that plug been in use?

Thanks.

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Its very close.  It may be closer to 90:1.  I also mix 2 oz. of Seafoam per gallon if that would make any difference on plug color.  That plug was put in that day to get a reading.  Got to lake started auger let it warm up 2-3 minutes and drilled 12 consecutive holes.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Ok, even 90:1 should be just fine.

So, that plug is sorta new, hm.

Um, you do know, Sabre also contains a fuel stabilizer ?   Nothing needs be added.

So, about the carb adjustments ~ Did you warm up the engine, adjust the bleed screw for best idle and then turn it counterclockwise about 1/8 turn ? That will negate running to lean, which is a very bad thing.

I'm sure you know what you're doing ~ I'm just asking, ha.

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Ok, even 90:1 should be just fine.

So, that plug is sorta new, hm.

Um, you do know, Sabre also contains a fuel stabilizer ?   Nothing needs be added.

So, about the carb adjustments ~ Did you warm up the engine, adjust the bleed screw for best idle and then turn it counterclockwise about 1/8 turn ? That will negate running to lean, which is a very bad thing.

I'm sure you know what you're doing ~ I'm just asking, ha.

Still working on a quart of Saber from 3 years ago.  It doesn't state anything about containing stabilizer?  Is this something new?

When I first set it I adjusted the idle screw to stop it from spinning which I should have never done.  It was running lean and I turned the idle down.  After I had realized what I did I backed out the air/fuel screw and turned the idle back up to get to a nice idle.  That's where I sit now.  I wish would have never touched the idle screw from factory setting. 

As far as knowing what I'm doing? haha.  That's why I'm on here asking for advice.  I know a little on carburetion but not a lot.  Thanks for the info thus far.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2015, 03:07 PM »
The addition of fuel stabilizer being added is only in the last two years, so you did good with the Seafoam.  The newer containers 'state' the fuel stabilizer is included.

Did it make sense, what I said about 1/8 turn on the bleed screw ?     

After any adjustments, the idle must be reduced to prevent the clutch engaging to spin the business end, ha.   With idle lower another bleed screw adjustment must be done for highest idle, and then 1/8 turn cc.  (Too lean is bad)  The fuel/oil mixture is a small part of the cooling system ~ Don't burn it up, ha.   

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2015, 03:24 PM »
The addition of fuel stabilizer being added is only in the last two years, so you did good with the Seafoam.  The newer containers 'state' the fuel stabilizer is included.

Did it make sense, what I said about 1/8 turn on the bleed screw ?     

After any adjustments, the idle must be reduced to prevent the clutch engaging to spin the business end, ha.   With idle lower another bleed screw adjustment must be done for highest idle, and then 1/8 turn cc.  (Too lean is bad)  The fuel/oil mixture is a small part of the cooling system ~ Don't burn it up, ha.   

So i should adjust further by turning the air/fuel screw in to obtain highest idle?  Won't that just lean it out and make flighting start to spin?  I think I am confused

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2015, 03:39 PM »
No intent to confuse, .204.   Sorry.
 1. Warm up fully.

2. Adjust idle until no spinning.

3. Adjust mixture screw until fastest idle.

4. Re-adjust idle as in 2.

5. Continue 2. and 3. until no change is noticed. Only then, go to 6.

6. Turn mixture screw CC 1/8 turn.

7. Rev engine several times to "clear", let it return to idle.

8. Adjust idle until spinning, then let it off only until spinning stops.

9. Done with that.  BUT, CHECK THE PLUG COLOR AFTER A BIT OF USE , maybe a day or two.

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2015, 03:56 PM »
I think I can handle that.  So number 3. I am turning the mixture screw clockwise correct?  Determining fastest idle is determined how?  by how smooth the idle is or will it start to sound off?

Sorry if I am being a pain in the a**

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Nope, you turn it either way until the fastest idle is obtained.   Sorry, I didn't make that clear.     :bow:

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:09 PM »
And I can do that from how its set now?  Are you thinking I'm running on the rich side as of now? Right now it is idling perfectly after its warmed up and adjusted so that the slightest touch of throttle the clutch engages.  Would these steps still help to go through.  When I drilled the 12 holes on Saturday it seemed like my top end rpm was maybe a little slower but pretty close to factory feel. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:18 PM »
It sounds like you are running ok, now. BUT, check the plug sometimes.

Just keep those steps if you find it needs a tweak later by checking the plug.    ;)2

Just know, if it idles well and has a good top-end speed, that's good, unless it's too lean. YIKES !

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Yeah I think I'll keep an eye on the spark plug on my next outing.  Its starts easier than before and I no longer have to give it throttle to get it going so I think its running richer than before especially with a little more noticed smoke which I am OK with.  Thanks for your help Idaho.  I appreciate it.  :thumbsup:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:28 PM »
You are very welcome, Sir.     :bow:

Good luck.       

:icefish:

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:51 AM »
   The air/fuel mixture adjustment is to richen the mixture by turning the mixture screw out (counter clockwise). 
When you do this the idle speed will drop and or the engine stall so you WILL have to turn the idle stop screw in (clockwise) to get the engine to idle. 

When I posted the instructions I was afraid someone was going to put their Tanaka way out of tune and why I suggested 1/8th-1/4 turn.
 If you've turned the mixture screw of removed it without keeping track of its position then go a head and tune till you get highest idle. First let the engine warm up to operating temp.
Your probably going to have to adjust the idle stop screw a few times till you get the mixture dialed in.  So once you get to the high idle with the mixture screw you'll have to richen the mixture till the idle drops. Again adjust the idle stop screw.   If you leave the mixture at the point of highest idle you will have a hard time starting the engine and you will be running too lean at high RPMs.

To fine tune from that point. The whole reason for adjusting the mixture was to improve the cold starts.  So next cold start you should see improvement.   What you don't want is a bog at high RPMs from too rich of mixture.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Thanks Frank,
 When I removed the white plastic plug the hot plastic stuck to the adjustment screw and when I removed the nail I couldn't even see the screw.  After lightly scraping the plastic off the screw it had turned the screw and was way out of whack.  So I turned it all the way in and backed it out 1 1/2 turns and adjusted from there.  It ended up being another 2 turns out where I found the best idle.  I  put my auger out back on the patio this morning before I left for work to try a cold start over dinner.  High of 1 here today so it should be a good test.  It does already start better than before and I don't have to hold the throttle wide open to get it to fire.  Choke, 3 primes, and usually 3 pulls and its running.  I'm pretty confident I have it running richer that before. 

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Had to give it a small amount of throttle to get it to fire over dinner.  If I can keep a good idle do you think it would be beneficial to richen it up a little more? 1/4 turn?  Also what causes the spinning at startup?  Is it running lean right when it fires?  I know its not a problem as mine as done it since new but was just curious.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2015, 01:43 PM »
It is apparent that you have what you need, .204, with Frank here with you and duplicating exactly, my instructions.

To avoid contributing confusion, by/with an explanation of how the clutch operates ~ I'll stay out of this and you and Frank sort it out.

My best to you both. Good day. ;)2   

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Had to give it a small amount of throttle to get it to fire over dinner.  If I can keep a good idle do you think it would be beneficial to richen it up a little more? 1/4 turn?  Also what causes the spinning at startup?  Is it running lean right when it fires?  I know its not a problem as mine as done it since new but was just curious.

My tanaka also spun at start up and the manual suggests to adjust the throttle screw. Adjust the screw clockwise until shafts spins then back out until shaft stops spinning, this is how I fixed the spinning shaft deal and now I could tell by ear that its idling lower. I have not played with the air mixture screw and dont plan to, since new I have had some cold start issues but have since gotten to know how it likes to be started also. 

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Idahogator,  you provided good solid info so don't go. :)
 I was more or less hitting on what the adjustment did.

As to the drill spinning at idle.  Its a simple adjustment with the idle stop screw.  This isn't and internal adjustment, its just a screw that hits the throttle stop.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:22 PM »
 :thumbsup: Good info guys. I have to say that the Tanaka is one of the funnest little motors to run. Very predictable on how its going to go. I find it hard to believe that people wont look at these more.. After buying a few other augers and now this one I could have saved time money and my back and bought this first! My buddy runs the strike lite and said this would be only 2 stroke he would go to if he didn't run the 4. I told him have fun changing oil lol
Fishin red lines

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Reporting back with results.  It took about a little over 3/4 of a turn in to achieve highest idle and I backed it out 1/4 turn from there.  Will mess around with cold starting and tuning from here on out.  Thanks Idahogator and Frank for the help.  Hamms I agree about tanaka being the best 2 stroke available.  I also have a tanaka string trimmer and its leaps and bounds better than any I've had before.  Nice to have a website community based on ice fishing to fall back on when your left scratching your head.  Thanks again all for the lesson on carburetors! And I wish you all tight lines.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:38 AM »
  When removing the plastic plug you can't go too small of a nail.  A brad is more like it.  You don't want it cherry red, just hot enough to melt through the plastic while putting a little pressure to it. Let it cool before removing.    If you find that the 1st attempt failed and the nail didn't pull the plastic plug out then use a screw.  Its got to be small.   You've already got the hole so just a couple turns of the screw and then pull.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:21 PM »
I would like to add that Idahogator and Frank have provided some great information. The low speed is not that vital, and should be tuned for idle. The rim around your spark plug responds to the idle setting, and the insulator tip responds to the high speed jet. You read the electrode for heat range.

I would love to have a nils, and agree they are the best auger out there right now, and many others would agree as well. Its the cost that keeps me and others away. A Nils will be my next auger assuming I save up some money in a few years.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.