The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils Master-open old holes?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline 1coldchemist

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater fanatic!
Nils Master-open old holes?
« on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Well, I'm considering buying a 6" Nils Master hand auger after reading various posts here.  Was wondering if anyone could answer a couple questions.  It sounds like you have to be very careful with the cutting head-can you open old holes with it?  Also, is it significantly lighter than say a 6" Strikemaster Lazer hand auger (what I was originally considering).  Thanks-
mmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . ice

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Nils Master-open old holes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:46 PM »
No modern hand auger re-opens old holes well. Neither the laser or the Nils will be good at it. The weight should be about the same. The Nils will cut faster and easier. It also cost more, but the blades last longer. Yes, I have used both types....

Which you pick depends on what is important to you.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:32 PM »
I disagre- a 6in lazer will compete well with a nils if not beat it with the right amount of pressure and correct amoung of hieght per person- I go through 4-5in of ice in 6-7turns with the Lazer- Im 5'6-7 and 135- My lazer is brand new and set at the lowest hieght.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 05:17 PM »
I disagre- a 6in lazer will compete well with a nils if not beat it with the right amount of pressure and correct amoung of hieght per person- I go through 4-5in of ice in 6-7turns with the Lazer- Im 5'6-7 and 135- My lazer is brand new and set at the lowest hieght.

Negative. ;)

I have both an 8 inch Lazer and Nils, and I can cut with my Lazer as well as just about anyone. I can cut through ice with the Nils quicker than I can with a Lazer, even when I put the height setting near the lowest, so I can get all my weight on it, The second notch works best for me, as I stand about 5'10".

Lazers will cut just fine, but not quite as well as a Nils.

The Nils is not something you should open old holes with, and neither is the Lazer, or for that matter, a Mora.

The Nils is probably a bit lighter, but to be honest, the weight is not going to be an issue, they are pretty light no matter which you choose.

My unbiased rankings, as I have all three types are: out of 10 are as follows...

Nils-9.5- I would give it a 10 if the head was a little more durable

Lazer-7.5- Good auger, but it won't stand up to a Nils.

Mora-6- Mora's aren't horrible augers, but they pale in comparasion to a Lazer or a Nils.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:03 PM »
I have re-opened many old holes with my Lazer hand augers. This feature was what got me really interested in these before I bought my first one.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline meat sticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:06 PM »

The key to that statement is "the right amount of pressure"  This is my first year with a nils.  And my experience so far is that you place the nils gently on the ice, and spin the handles.  Your hole will drill itself!  Thus far, my gas pig has been parked in the garage!  I have yet to see the hand bomber that can compete with a nils!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.