The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Caspian  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Caspian
« on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:03 PM »
Anybody been on caspian last few days?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Re: Caspian
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:24 PM »
I fished it a week ago and there was a lot of slush. She had about 6 inches of ice then. 

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:18 AM »
Thank you
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2023, 03:25 PM »
I'm willing to bet the slush is gone now after this cold snap!

Offline Chittice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2023, 10:06 AM »
Anyone have an ice report? Looking to fish on foot tomorrow

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2023, 01:08 PM »
We were there February 6th. Ice varied a lot. Maybe 6" where there was snow and slush. 10" where the slush/snow had frozen. One spot I drilled had only 4". With this warm up I'd be willing to bet it's deteriorated quite a bit since then. I'd be extremely cautious if it were me.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2023, 07:35 PM »
Hoping to get to Caspian on Sunday. I would appreciate an ice report if anyone has been out recently. Thanks! Looking to fish the northern portion of the lake.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Chittice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2023, 10:45 AM »
Hoping to get to Caspian on Sunday. I would appreciate an ice report if anyone has been out recently. Thanks! Looking to fish the northern portion of the lake.

Went yesterday, ice seemed solid everywhere I went other than some really slushy spots and a few little spring holes (biggest was maybe a trash can lid in size). But everywhere I checked had a bunch of useless white/slushy ice on top of some black, it’s just hard to tell where/if there isn’t black ice underneath. Even saw a snowmobile (would not recommend).  I’d suggest sticking to the east shore as you walk from the launch to the north side and check everywhere you go, I wore flotation too. Hard for me to tell how much the ice is deteriorating with just one trip.

Offline Chittice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2023, 02:15 PM »
If anyone is out this weekend would appreciate a report. Can’t fish till Monday.

Offline vtbrookfisher87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2023, 08:10 AM »
Looking for ice conditions planning making a trip up Monday and doing a over night into Tuesday any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2023, 10:06 AM »
Perchbait and I were there last Sunday, 2/19.  We were on the north end of the lake and had close to a foot of ice.  It was about 1/2 black and 1/2 white ice, with some spots only having 3-4" of black ice.  It was cold all this past weekend, so I would expect even more ice now.

Be safe and good luck!

Offline vtbrookfisher87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2023, 06:37 AM »
Thank you sounds like it will be plenty safe

Offline vtsynn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2023, 07:57 AM »
May be up there this weekend, first time on that water, and was wondering if you need 4 wheels on the ice to make it worth it or will 2 feet get you to some depth?  Also, is there a local bait shop.
Thanks

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2023, 09:17 AM »
I didn't see any machines on the ice when we were there.  Of course there were only about 5 other groups on the whole lake!  Hopefully there's not much snow on the ice.  Walking will be no problem if the snow blows off.  You don't really have to walk that far, anyway, unless you have a specific structure you want to fish.  I've walked from the beach out to the sunken islands before.  It can be a haul with snow on the ice. 

But, you don't really need much water to catch fish.  Our biggest laker last week came in 4' of water.

Good luck!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2023, 05:15 PM »
Bartlett's bait is your closest shop.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2023, 09:51 PM »
I didn't see any machines on the ice when we were there.  Of course there were only about 5 other groups on the whole lake!  Hopefully there's not much snow on the ice.  Walking will be no problem if the snow blows off.  You don't really have to walk that far, anyway, unless you have a specific structure you want to fish.  I've walked from the beach out to the sunken islands before.  It can be a haul with snow on the ice. 

But, you don't really need much water to catch fish.  Our biggest laker last week came in 4' of water.

Good luck!

Crayfish! Were you fishing in our old spot? How’d you do? Gosh, how long ago was it that we met out there? That was my best day laker fishing.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2023, 10:11 AM »
That was something seeing that fish come up through the hole!  It just kept coming!  Yes, we fished our usual spot.  Caught 7 lakers, but nothing big.  They were all 16 - 21".  Jacob kept a couple for him and his girlfriend to eat, the rest went back down the hole.  We were just east of your old haunt, right on the edge of it.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2023, 08:13 PM »
That was something seeing that fish come up through the hole!  It just kept coming!  Yes, we fished our usual spot.  Caught 7 lakers, but nothing big.  They were all 16 - 21".  Jacob kept a couple for him and his girlfriend to eat, the rest went back down the hole.  We were just east of your old haunt, right on the edge of it.

Glad to hear you had a good outing. It’s funny, I can’t get myself to fish any other spot on the whole lake but that one. I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. But you can pretty much catch lakers anywhere on that lake.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2023, 08:03 PM »
I haven’t fished caspian in prob close to 2 yrs! Last time I was there was with a good friend of mine who is no longer with us. We fished not far off the beach jigging with 1/2 smelt on large Swedish pimple and caught several 18-22” lakers. We kept a couple for a meal and rest went back down the hole. Was my first time fishing for lakers and I was like this bait is giant you sure this will work lol then the school came in and it was on. I am curious of the size of the big lakers in there. Anything like the ones in willougby? I know the yellow perch get giant

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2023, 02:08 PM »
. . I am curious of the size of the big lakers in there. Anything like the ones in willougby? I know the yellow perch get giant

I have a couple friends that caught 20 Pounders+ in the summer on lead core line ,so there are some good ones in there!

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2023, 08:23 PM »
My friend who is no longer with us is known for big lakers. We fished caspian a fair amount and there was an old timer who would drag his shack way out deep and run huge smelt and suckers with a dual hook threaded down the side its backbone. He didn’t catch often but when he did it was a giant. I was only 18 and had been perch fishing my childhood and teenage life. Had no clue about tip ups or jigging lakers. Caspian is great. Maybe next season I’ll try it again if the ice is better. Crazy where you’ll catch lakers on that lake

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2023, 06:33 AM »
My friend who is no longer with us is known for big lakers. We fished caspian a fair amount and there was an old timer who would drag his shack way out deep and run huge smelt and suckers with a dual hook threaded down the side its backbone.

He was "lacing" the bait. I still do it but the good lacing needles are a thing of the past! :(

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2023, 07:34 AM »
Use to be able to buy them at the local bait shop near caspian. Not a treble hook but 2 hooks facing opposite. I had thought about trying to solder hooks to recreate similar set up. I also fish for pike and walleye a lot so thought maybe it would carry over

Offline vtbrookfisher87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2023, 07:52 AM »
Are you talking about gorge hooks three pack with bait needle

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2023, 08:12 AM »
I think so. I don’t recall the brand but believe I may have an old pack from long time ago

Offline vtbrookfisher87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2023, 09:02 AM »
I used to use them regularly for laker fishing but they aren’t very forgiving on the fish of you want to release them now I just thread dead smelt suckers and what not on a thinker mono leader with single hook I tell you what though them gorge hooks don’t let go

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2023, 11:58 AM »
He was "lacing" the bait. I still do it but the good lacing needles are a thing of the past! :(

Lacing still quite popular with saltwater ballyhoo.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2023, 12:11 PM »
I used to use them regularly for laker fishing but they aren’t very forgiving on the fish of you want to release them now I just thread dead smelt suckers and what not on a thinker mono leader with single hook I tell you what though them gorge hooks don’t let go
yes sir they do what they are designed to do. Not let the fish get away. Now days I release the trophy size fish, minus walleye lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2023, 08:55 AM »
Lacing still quite popular with saltwater ballyhoo.

Only way to do it really.  We buy flats of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.