Author Topic: whitemouth lake today  (Read 2333 times)

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
whitemouth lake today
« on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:57 PM »
took a drive to whitemouth today,the ice is only 7/12 to 8 1/2 inches thick .drove on a bit then drove off.we walked 2 miles along shore trying different spots but got skunked.there was a small suv that drove out around the island.the co's  stopped both of us and said the fellows in the suv had 12 walleye.there is quite a few slush pockets out there.need more cold weather before i drive on.

Offline Levista

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: whitemouth lake today
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:53 PM »

a truck broke threw the ice there on saturday. guys were alright but truck was a loss.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2009, 09:04 PM »

a truck broke threw the ice there on saturday. guys were alright but truck was a loss.

Thank god the guys were alright.  Please everyone heed this as a warning.  Fishing maybe our lives, but it is not worth our lives.  There are plenty of places to walk out to right now and I am sure we can all wait a couple more weeks for the drive out spots.  Stay safe.

Svengalli

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:04 PM »
 :o Did they get the truck out ? Seems like this has to happen every few years at whitemouth   ???! Lets see if there will be fish issues in a year or so like the last time a few trucks got sunk ! Would be nice if everyone would stay off till at least the middle of January , thank god it's a shallow lake and no one got hurt . Stay safe out there guys ,test the ice before you venture on !!
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline Levista

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2009, 08:26 AM »

not sure if the truck has been pulled out yet or not. just heard a guy i was fishing with on sunday say he heard that this is what happened on saturday. oh and lafarge pits were good again for me, atleast for perch. got about 20 this time. heading to sugar island for some real fish next weekend.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:30 AM »
oh and lafarge pits were good again for me, atleast for perch. got about 20 this time. heading to sugar island for some real fish next weekend.

You at Lafarge Sunday morning? Fishaman and I were there with two of his buddies. I caught perch...............

I hate driving onto Whitemouth lake, that seems like one of the weirdist lakes for slush and bad ice. It does seem strange that the ice is that thin still on a shallow lake.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2009, 12:25 PM »

Hey sled-in you should talk to the old timers about that lake ,seems they also dislike the lake .I normally take one trip a year so that I can remember how much I dislike it ! It was okay when there were two fish species that could be caught ,but since they have bombarded it with walleye it has become a one species lake and I prefer to have a variety when it comes to ice fishing ............not to offend anyone who likes it of course
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline WALLEY HUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Hey sled-in you should talk to the old timers about that lake ,seems they also dislike the lake .I normally take one trip a year so that I can remember how much I dislike it ! It was okay when there were two fish species that could be caught ,but since they have bombarded it with walleye it has become a one species lake and I prefer to have a variety when it comes to ice fishing ............not to offend anyone who likes it of course

i have to disagree with you in regards to being just a walleye lake.  there are some fair size pike in that lake always hovering around the schools of walleye.    find the walleye and you will find the pike.  caught some nice ones last year not to mention our limits every time.   I... Love that lake. 
Jacques

Offline Levista

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:36 PM »
You at Lafarge Sunday morning? Fishaman and I were there with two of his buddies. I caught perch...............

I hate driving onto Whitemouth lake, that seems like one of the weirdist lakes for slush and bad ice. It does seem strange that the ice is that thin still on a shallow lake.

you guys musta been the ones out on the big pond with your portable shacks. saw a few there. we went to the smaller pond right near the island, we call it bass bay cause of all the master size smallmouths weve caught there. anyways ya we caught alot of perch there too. we were in 12-14 fow and watching the fish on the bottom schooling around our hooks. the water was crystal clear and being inside a shack makes it real easy to see the bottom.

Levista

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:39 PM »

Not too sure about the 1 species either.
My PB Pike is from Whitemouth, 42 3/4". They ARE there, no one targets them anymore, which is good for those that like to target them. Not gonna catch those monsters on 2-3" live minnows.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:50 PM »
What about the suckers ::)

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2009, 02:44 PM »
What about the suckers ::)

LOL, yes, them too.......make great food for the big Pike.....even better bait.

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2009, 02:55 PM »
 Well said fshmanmb, Many have caught their biggest Pike on that Lake, If you target them with Pike bait (Sardines, Herring, Tulibee, Suckers, etc.) and some Tip-Ups near weed edges I bet you will be surprised.....  8) 8). I myself have caught more than one over 32 Inches in that Lake, they were caught on Walleye presentations aswell. Years ago my Father fished there regularly and he caught and witnessed some monster Northerns! Many over 40"s. We also tied into a 7 pound 26" Walleye their 2 years ago.

There are big fish in that Lake, Maybe not as many as there was years back (when the Lake took a huge hit a few years ago) but I bet it will come back fully once again and when it does, well I can't wait for that day!  ;D ;D

When I was seven years old. I went their once in the summer and we caught at least 50 Walleyes. And I had a Pike that broke the net! That was a MONSTER!  :o :o

I too love this Lake. I normally try to make at least one trip a year. I have never been dissapointed.  ;) ;)
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.