New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: legal advice  (Read 2077 times)

Offline 10bucketbigwillie

• Team IceShanty Regular
legal advice
« on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:09 AM »
 I have a 4 yearold and 4 nephews around 9 yrs old. they are all hopped up on catching pike down the road from us, and want to have their own tip up. how many can i put out for us ?some days the fishing is slow ,was wanting to put out a few more, say maybe 8 or so.  all equipment is labled with my name and address then i was going to right each kids name on them. law sayes 5 per operator, does a kid count as an operator?

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: legal advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Yes, 5 each. Anyone that says otherwise s jealous that you get to take kids fishing.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:12 AM »
i would say. 5 per child, maybe not the 4 yr old. but im no ECO. could try calling one to find out for sure.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Ive been taking my son since he was 4 and he always has his own set of tip ups. We're checked by the DEC every  year and they never say anything

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Call your local CO!

He (or she) is the only one to ask.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline 10bucketbigwillie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Call your local CO!

He (or she) is the only one to ask.

RG
not as fun, or entertaining.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:40 AM »
not as fun, or entertaining.

so true  ;D

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:46 AM »
One thing to remember is the term "operator"  if your kids are actively chasing flags then they are operating
If an eco sees 1 guy chasing all the flags & the kids are sitting inside playing a video game you might have se trouble.
Remember they do often sit & watch for a while before approaching.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:57 AM »
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I have a 4 yearold and 4 nephews around 9 yrs old. they are all hopped up on catching pike down the road from us, and want to have their own tip up. how many can i put out for us ?some days the fishing is slow ,was wanting to put out a few more, say maybe 8 or so.  all equipment is labled with my name and address then i was going to right each kids name on them. law sayes 5 per operator, does a kid count as an operator?

Is the kid's name"Squatch"?
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:07 AM »
One thing to remember is the term "operator"  if your kids are actively chasing flags then they are operating
If an eco sees 1 guy chasing all the flags & the kids are sitting inside playing a video game you might have se trouble.
Remember they do often sit & watch for a while before approaching.
X 2!
This is what I've always gone by. I didn't start putting out extra tipups for my boys until they could do everything themselves. From setting up to landing the fish to rebaiting.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:08 AM »
I had my two boys (9yrs) with me on Cando last year and was checked in the parking lot coming off. I asked him the same question on what is legal, his reply was 5 t/u's each are "legal" but he also said the same thing as was posted earlier they need to be operating the lines on there own. He also said that if the kids were real young that he would not believe they were running these lines with out assistance. Best advice would be if the lines are in make sure the kids are tending them in case hes on shore watching.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Is the kid's name"Squatch"?

I'm kinda scared that there are little "Big Willie's" running around!!

Offline Hobo Hilton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it's FISHABLE or HUNTABLE, It's ME
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:49 PM »
It is my understanding, its 5 tip ups per person and there names have to be on them and you can't handle yours plus theres. Then you'll can be charged with fishing with more than 5 tip ups.  You can tell them what to do but you can't touch there tip ups.  Call DEC to be safe.

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:05 PM »
I have 2 daughters that fish with me since they were 5. They did everything except thread bait and drill hole's. I would wind line back on tip ups while they were pulling in a fish to help but I can't see that being an issue with any CO. If it is I will take the ticket and laugh at them.

Offline fundad01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:32 PM »
I have 2 daughters that fish with me since they were 5. They did everything except thread bait and drill hole's. I would wind line back on tip ups while they were pulling in a fish to help but I can't see that being an issue with any CO. If it is I will take the ticket and laugh at them.
I agree,  they would have to be a total touch hole to ticket someone out with their kids, but I'm sure it has happened. When my kids are with me they should be ticked because they hog all the flags;) and are then fishing more than their share.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:44 PM »
5 each child but their names should be on the tipups to make YOU legal.
Get em!  ;D

Offline bhebby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:50 PM »
I have debated this for years and finally called my local DEC office. Officer read me the rules and it states that 5 per operator are allowed and their name must be on them. He also said as long as you were making an effort to be compliant he would not bother you with it. But the law does state the operators name must be on it. My brother law has no equipment and he uses mine when we go. Most of my flags have fallen off so I useblaze orange duct tape to make replacement flags, I am going to take a sharpie and just make a new ones or write his name on the other side of the flag. hope that helps.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:42 PM »
My 4 year old son has his own 5 tip-up`s. Nothing in the laws about that yet. Just wait. Its New York.
Master Laker taker.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2013, 03:06 PM »
I went to staples and had address labels made with mine and my son's names and address . I have them on all our tipups

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2013, 03:31 PM »
I have debated this for years and finally called my local DEC office. Officer read me the rules and it states that 5 per operator are allowed and their name must be on them. He also said as long as you were making an effort to be compliant he would not bother you with it. But the law does state the operators name must be on it. My brother law has no equipment and he uses mine when we go. Most of my flags have fallen off so I useblaze orange duct tape to make replacement flags, I am going to take a sharpie and just make a new ones or write his name on the other side of the flag. hope that helps.
I either have them bring some of their envelope labels with their address on them or use plain labels with a sharpie that way if someone else wants to go and they dont have the equipment just pull them off and put new ones on

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:50 PM »
As long as it's not an assault style tip up its no problem. You never know what will happen with those things around lol

Offline Quackstacker14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:31 PM »
My 4 year old son has his own 5 tip-up`s. Nothing in the laws about that yet. Just wait. Its New York.
Hahahaha

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:22 PM »
You might be a red neck if..........

You get "legal advice" from Iceshanty.com ;D

Sorry, I had to.  I have to admit, that was my first thought when I saw the title of this thread.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.