The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Madawaska lake  (Read 2045 times)

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
Madawaska lake
« on: Feb 27, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Anyone fish lower madawaska lake?

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Madawaska lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:19 PM »
anyone fish madawaska lake at all?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2018, 05:57 AM »
Yea I've fished Madawaska Lake, the tank scrubbers bite OK for the first week or so but by March it can get really slow. That coupled with the bios informing me they did not stock any brood last year certainly means I won't be going back this year. Great place to take youngsters that first week.
It must be something in the water.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:04 AM »
As the local put-and-take water body with easy access, it actually gets fished hard.  A typical outing should yield a few tank scrubbers and a bunch of yellow perch.  Your best bet this late in the season would be to try and find a spot that hasn't already been fished repeatedly, which means getting away from the camps and the easy access spots.  Areas around inlet brooks also get fished hard.  It is what it is. 

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:17 AM »
too bad they don't dump a load of scrubbers before the annual kids fishing derby :)   Which is coming up next weekend.  :tipup:

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:32 AM »
too bad they don't dump a load of scrubbers before the annual kids fishing derby :)   Which is coming up next weekend.  :tipup:

i don't recall seeing any information posted about that derby,   bet my daughter would love to try that.   it's not listed on the maine derbies page? https://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing-boating/fishing/fishing-derbies.html

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:36 AM »
i don't recall seeing any information posted about that derby,   bet my daughter would love to try that.   it's not listed on the maine derbies page? https://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing-boating/fishing/fishing-derbies.html

I think it's hosted by a local store and bait shop...try calling NorthStar Variety in New Sweden. 

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:42 AM »
we're probably gonna give it a go this weekend at the lake, might have to swing in the store to get extra bait. I'll get details from sara.  if we catch something this weekend maybe i'll try to get the day off next week to bring the youngun out to fish.  it's a bit rough not having a snowmobile at the ready.  we'll be walking out from a friends home on the lower lake.

Found the info for it on the local sportsman club facebook page.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2018, 03:18 PM »
X2
Or at least run the kids derby on the first weekend it opens which usually coincides with school vacation. I may go to that kids derby next week... I think it is on the 11th.
It must be something in the water.

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Spent the day today at the lake... Got 2 large trout,. 15" and 13".  Caught quite a few perch and a smelt.  Good day despite the wind.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Glad to hear you had a good day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.