Author Topic: Fish finder questions... lcd delay?  (Read 550 times)

Offline Wulff

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish finder questions... lcd delay?
« on: Feb 05, 2024, 03:56 PM »
Hi
I've not signed on here  for many years. Begging for some help.
I'm sure this has been asked so many times and I'm sorry, but I'm looking at the Marcum LX 7 and a friend says I may experience a "delay" in what is happening and what appears to be happening with anything sporting an LCD screen. Thinks I'll be sorry.
If this is true I'd sure like to know.
Otherwise I'll probably go with the Vexilar 20 or 28 or 30.
I'd be grateful for any help.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish finder questions... lcd delay?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2024, 04:05 PM »
Spending that kind of money just go with a Garmin thank me later. Has GPS can do both sonar and graph watch jig in 2 different spots
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Wulff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2024, 04:36 PM »
Which Garmin? Please
I mean I'd like to to keep it under $500ish but if it's important I would find a little more.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2024, 04:47 PM »
Which Garmin? Please
I mean I'd like to to keep it under $500ish but if it's important I would find a little more.

I have the the Garmin striker 5 I love it does everything I ever need it to do. Only thing I did was upgrade to a lithium battery half the weight

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/garmin-striker-vivid-5cv-ice-fishing-bundle-with-gt8hw-if-transducer-and-lead-acid-battery?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas%7CShopping%7CPMax%7CBoating%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CNVol%7CNMT&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAq4KuBhA6EiwArMAw1EOLCvgr7fyac_YkiGh1qjuiSrI-F3UXZIWfgY6_8oEP8hLbDUw_7hoCeiIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2024, 05:21 PM »
Hi
I've not signed on here  for many years. Begging for some help.
I'm sure this has been asked so many times and I'm sorry, but I'm looking at the Marcum LX 7 and a friend says I may experience a "delay" in what is happening and what appears to be happening with anything sporting an LCD screen. Thinks I'll be sorry.
If this is true I'd sure like to know.
Otherwise I'll probably go with the Vexilar 20 or 28 or 30.
I'd be grateful for any help.

I've used a Humminbird Helix for quite a few years now after switching over from a flasher-type fish finder. If there is any sort of "delay" on my LCD screen, I certainly don't notice it. With the flasher or the graph, whenever I would mark a fish and then lower or raise up my jig to the fish, the fish would move towards it or away from it. So not sure what "delay" there might be. People often mention "delay" or "real time display" when making comparisons between a flasher and graph but I couldn't tell the difference.

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2024, 05:23 PM »
I use the Striker 5 ice fishing package. Great product
I also purchased an open water transducer and mount the Striker 5 on my Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL Kayak.
Very pleased with it and find it to be accurate and reliable.

Offline Wulff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2024, 05:43 PM »
Interesting
Then a person could put your outfit on a canoe? I would love to take that into Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone.
Thanks

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2024, 06:03 PM »
Interesting
Then a person could put your outfit on a canoe? I would love to take that into Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone.
Thanks

Yup just have to buy another transducer

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2024, 07:57 PM »
I've used a Humminbird Helix for quite a few years now after switching over from a flasher-type fish finder. If there is any sort of "delay" on my LCD screen, I certainly don't notice it. With the flasher or the graph, whenever I would mark a fish and then lower or raise up my jig to the fish, the fish would move towards it or away from it. So not sure what "delay" there might be. People often mention "delay" or "real time display" when making comparisons between a flasher and graph but I couldn't tell the difference.
I also have a Helix 7 I use for double duty on the ice and boat.  My friend had a Lowrance and switched to a Vex to get rid of the delay.  I honestly don’t notice any delay of any kind with my Helix.  No way I would ever go back to an analog flasher.

Offline Wulff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2024, 10:07 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your comments

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2024, 11:00 PM »
The delay is not the end of the world. You will notice it if you compare them side by side with a flasher, but it's something you get used to fast. I have a Helix 8 that only gets used on the boat. My fishing buddy runs a Helix 7 ice fishing combo. The GPS maps is the best part of them. Mine has side imaging, which is fun in the summer. You can buy 360 transducers to use that feature through the ice. I'm not a fan of the Helix 7 for ice fishing, but my friend loves his. I am too hard on things to bring my helix out, they are delicate. They are also crazy expensive. The map chips are too expensive. I wouldn't buy my helix 8 again, knowing what I know now. I use a Vexilar FLX-20 ice fishing. One of the main differences between us is I am almost always outside, I don't use a shack often. The Vexilar is way easier to see in full sun.

You aren't going to touch a Helix 7 under $500, more like $800-$1000 unless you find a used one. Map chips are another $150-$200. The only flasher you list that meets your stated $500 limit is a Vexilar FLX-20, and they are great units.
-Tom

Offline Wulff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2024, 11:59 PM »
Thank you friend, good information.  I'm living in Arizona and retiring. Moving to Utah in July. I'm not going to use whatever I buy until next ice season so I can put the funds together. I love ice fishing and at age 69 this will be my last unit I buy so I'm trying to learn.
I had a Vexilar for a lot of years and it served me well. I'm curious about the options.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.