Author Topic: Gear Report/Update 2  (Read 378 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Gear Report/Update 2
« on: Feb 04, 2024, 07:48 PM »
First one seemed to do some good, so here is another gear report/update after an ice trip. 

1. JT Shiver stick: I have the 44 inch that is new this year for hole hopping and fishing from the truck.  Really liked this stick.  Excelled with many baits and great balance of sensitivity and backbone. 

2. Frostbite Drench: My other purchase this year for truck fishing and hole hopping.  Handled 1/16 ounce small spoons better than anything larger.  Need to use it some more but for $55 seems like a rod that fits a purpose. I'm still in the air on this one.

3. TUCR 32 Precison:  Raved a few weeks ago about the JT Gold Digger and said I needed to give my precision a few more runs before comparing.  Well...I think they are both awesome!  That 32 inch of the TUCR vs 34 of the JT made a positive difference in the flip shack.  Both great sticks that I will have for walleye/perch for years. 

4.  PK spoons: New to me, after watching some videos about ice fishing spoons, so I picked up a few.  Wow, they were one of the top baits this past weekend for walleye. 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, even 3/8 sizes.  Seem like an underrated/marketed product.  Highly recommend. 

5.  Ice Tank: Picture attached of my atv with Otter monster box and 2 otter 48 deep cases attached.  Made organization and getting gear on the ice a breeze. 

6.  Garmin Livescope:  Friend of mine gave me his Garmin Livescope with the LVS32 transducer to use for a few days.  I now plan to purchase one soon...likely with the 34 ducer.  Big advantage for seeing larger areas. 

7. The Daiwa 750 line (my choice QR’s) are a really nice reel w/folding handle and at a budget price ($25-45). All I run other than okuma ceymar 500BF on deadsticks.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Gear Report/Update 2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2024, 01:28 AM »
nice report again.

The PK spoons were hot and hyped a few years ago...but time flies fast cuz I still remember how the Salmo Chubby darter lure was all hyped and hot too.  I always make sure to bring a few Chubby darters always.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2024, 02:58 AM »
Good information, thank you. What’s that pulling the sled and how do you like it?
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2024, 08:43 AM »
Slippery:  I've never caught or had a fish interested in a Salmo Chubby Darter.  Again, likely user induced as many have great success. 

Photog:  Its a 2022 Polaris Sportsman Premium 570.  I like it and use it for fishing and snow removal mainly.  They have come way down in price around me lately as you can get a similar rig with plow for about $10k now where I paid around $12k a few years ago. 

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2024, 08:47 AM »
Photog:  Its a 2022 Polaris Sportsman Premium 570.  I like it and use it for fishing and snow removal mainly.  They have come way down in price around me lately as you can get a similar rig with plow for about $10k now where I paid around $12k a few years ago.

Great, thank you!
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.