Author Topic: Plane crash on ice covered lake  (Read 937 times)

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Plane crash on ice covered lake
« on: Feb 02, 2024, 07:49 PM »
These people were doing touch and go landings about 100 ft away from me on a small 515 acre frozen lake a few days before this crash. It was really pissing me off because fish were already spooky and ice was thin and deteriorating.  Not only rude and scaring fish, but proved to be dangerous. Luckily people were able to walk away with their lives after crashing.
https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/utah-plane-crash-pineview-reservoir-huntsville

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Plane crash on ice covered lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2024, 08:10 PM »
Is that one of your holes in the top right corner with footprints leading to and from it? ;D
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2024, 11:45 AM »
Talk about being an idiot.  Why the hell would a pilot do touch and goes on a lake when there was someone on the ice fishing.  Apparently that genius didn't think about the safety of the people fishing.  I swear people get dumber by the day. 

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2024, 12:03 PM »
   well people driving vehicles   too close cars pick ups snowmobiles atv
snowsnake

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2024, 01:07 PM »
That Cessna weighs about 1/3 of an F-150 and with air flowing over the wings in effect it weighs even less so it's better than the guy who pulls up in a full size truck 10' from you to ask how the ice is.  That said, and even if it's not illegal, if they were landing as close to the OP as he claims it's a dick move and smacks of showing off. 
'

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2024, 11:04 PM »
Oddly enough, this isn't the first time I had a plane do touch and go landings while I was ice fishing. Several years ago, I was on a different lake about 150 miles from this crash landing and the pilot was an even bigger douche and flew underneath the bridge of a major east west road in Utah. Oh and those holes on the lake where he crashed weren't mine. The lake I was on, was several days earlier on a different lake. There were people on the lake ice fishing that day when he crashed. Its bad enough having people crowd your fishing holes, but now we have to worry about planes crashing into lake. One of my coworkers sister was sitting her porch one evening when a small plane crashed into her house. She was so severely burned that the family decided to "pull the plug" on her. Very sad! I also just saw on the news that a small plane crashed into trailer park in Florida killing a bunch of people.  Crazy times we live in nowadays. Be safe and God Bless

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2024, 06:57 AM »
I had a small bush plane come in low, below the tree line, and circle the pond I was fishing. Ironically, I had my RC airplane in the air and scrambled to get it down before
he got near me. He came by only @ 50' off the deck and we waved to each other. I thought it was cool as hell.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2024, 08:30 PM »
the pilot was an even bigger douche and flew underneath the bridge of a major east west road in Utah.

Pretty much everything described here is illegal, but that takes the cake.  You get caught doing that and you wont be flying for a while, if ever.  If you ever have these guys coming in too close and feel it's unsafe pull out the phone and start recording, get the tail number, and send it to the FAA.

"If you're flying over a depopulated area, like open fields or open water, the FAA is a little more lenient. Here's what 91.119(c) says about "other than congested areas:"

"An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure."

Offline Bountyhunter62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2024, 08:41 PM »
Glad to hear everyone was safe and sound on the ice and amazing that the pilot and passenger weren't killed .

Well, if the pilot doesn't lose his license over that aviation feat, odds are quite high he will never want to try that maneuver again !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.