Author Topic: Piscifun Carbon  (Read 948 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Piscifun Carbon
« on: Jan 28, 2024, 06:18 PM »
I have a question for anybody who has one of these. The little dial that is supposed to control the spool tension doesn’t. I can turn it all the way one way or all the way the other way and the results are the same, zero tension. It’s not a bad little real, but having no spool adjustment makes it kind of a pain. The only other thing is that the release lever is in a real uncomfortable position.  The gears are super smooth and the big handle is also a great addition. But not being able to control the spool tension is a real negative. Do yours work?

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Piscifun Carbon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2024, 08:53 PM »
I take it you are talking about the ice reel and not the spinning reel. If so I have 2 and they both work. Yes the drop lever is a nuisance they were looking into a mod for it. The lever sits too close to the line and it can get  close enough to it so the line gets trapped by your fingers.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline MontanaFlyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2024, 09:44 AM »
The little dial works on mine as well.  I agree about the lever too, a little more thought could have gone into that design.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2024, 11:01 AM »
I have a question for anybody who has one of these. The little dial that is supposed to control the spool tension doesn’t. I can turn it all the way one way or all the way the other way and the results are the same, zero tension. It’s not a bad little real, but having no spool adjustment makes it kind of a pain. The only other thing is that the release lever is in a real uncomfortable position.  The gears are super smooth and the big handle is also a great addition. But not being able to control the spool tension is a real negative. Do yours work?
Maybe check the orientation of the magnets.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2024, 06:02 AM »
Maddogg, I looked at the instructions, and there’s absolutely nothing in there about how the magnets are supposed to work. I probably will take a look at them but it would be 100% trial and error. It’s an inconvenience but the reel was cheap so I’ll probably just use it as is. Still a 300% better reel than my first Black Betty POS, I drowned that stupid thing.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:56 AM »
Magnets should be N-S-N-S-N-S-N-S. Does the magnet holder move in and out when you turn the adj. knob?

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2024, 11:10 AM »
I haven’t looked yet. On a cheap little real like that I was kind of surprised they’re even were magnets. So that’s what slows that or speed it up. It’s just the fact that you’re putting a magnets closer to create resistance or pulling them back to take it away, huh? Thanks for the info. That has a lot of features for a cheap reel.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:32 AM »
I have a bunch of inline reels -- original Black Betty, Black Betty 6061, Black Betty Freefall, and the Piscifun Carbon.  The Freefall is the best reel.  The Piscifun Carbon is the best value.

The only thing to improve is the free spool lever.  But, I pencil grip the rod in my RH and move the lever with my LH -- not unlike the spool release on the Black Betty 6061.

I haven't had an issue with tuning the Piscifun reels.  On each, I removed magnets so i could drop 3mm tungsten.  I needed a punch and a pair of tweezers to lift the magnets.

So, have those tools at the ready.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2024, 08:58 AM »
I checked out the magnets this morning and yes, they are moving in and out with the knob. I’m assuming that the magnets are supposed to drug against the metal spool to create the tension, correct? All the way in or all the way out makes zero difference, I usually keep my pinky finger on the spool so this isn’t a real big deal except for the fact that the lever on this thing is in that stupid position it’s a pretty good stretch to do it my way. Oh well, real smooth so it’ll work.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2024, 05:17 PM »
The magnets to not touch the spool the closer the magnets get to the metal spool the more the magnetic field interferes with the metal spool.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2024, 05:39 PM »
I did realize that but mine still has no effect on drop speed. I’m ok with it as is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.