Author Topic: Anyone using Si Flies Simcoe Bugs? All the rage up in northern MN  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Fisherman  :tipup:

This is so very true, quite often while looking at baits and I see others trying to decide I have commented "it has to catch the fisher before it can catch the fish" we usually laugh and hang the bait back up.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Resin looks good! Such a clean look why type do you use?

Light Cure UV Resin by Signature Crafts bought at Michael’s here in Ontario. High gloss.

The whole Fly is tied on a 12 (1xShort  Scud hook)2 mm scud back black for wrap and a 3.2 mil or 1/8 inch tungsten bead

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Dang, never knew Michael’s carried that stuff. When this stuff first came it it was so expensive I never bothered with it. Thanks for the insight.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Light Cure UV Resin by Signature Crafts bought at Michael’s here in Ontario. High gloss.

The whole Fly is tied on a 12 (1xShort  Scud hook)2 mm scud back black for wrap and a 3.2 mil or 1/8 inch tungsten bead

What sort of success have you had with these here in Ont? People seem to be catching lakers on them as well as perch? thx
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Dang, never knew Michael’s carried that stuff. When this stuff first came it it was so expensive I never bothered with it. Thanks for the insight.
Pannier’s  for sure never tried for laker’s. Cost is average of 1/3 the cost of Loon, Gulff and others aligned with that of bait makers supply.

Have been using it for 2 years now and it works.
What sort of success have you had with these here in Ont? People seem to be catching lakers on them as well as perch? thx

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)

Gold Bug-Shot Larry approves. Expensive is right. But maybe worth trying to make.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict

Gold Bug-Shot Larry approves. Expensive is right. But maybe worth trying to make.

I've been trying to figure out what they are using for the fly body on those bug-shots. The body without the hook and the ring on the end. Anybody have ideas?

Almost wonder if they are cutting the hook end off and tying in a piece of steel leader loop for the ring.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've been trying to figure out what they are using for the fly body on those bug-shots. The body without the hook and the ring on the end. Anybody have ideas?

Almost wonder if they are cutting the hook end off and tying in a piece of steel leader loop for the ring.

Steel leader or spinner wire folded in half and lashed on to the cut hook is my bet; wouldn't be too hard to do. Slap some zap a gap on it and it'll hold.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Close enough for me, 1/4 of an elastic band, two beads. Mine is a number two hook not a number one and a little bit of thread. top with UV resin not Sally Hansen, Sally Hansen eats the elastic band.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pannier’s  for sure never tried for laker’s. Cost is average of 1/3 the cost of Loon, Gulff and others aligned with that of bait makers supply.
by panniers do you mean pan fish?  Do you fish Simcoe or elswhere for perch then? We go to Muskoka for lakers, usually small.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Yes, panfish, Simcoe, Pigeon, Moira, Bay of Quinte

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
I am a sucker for a new wonder lure like anyone else, but holy crap, are they pricey.

Like others have said, you can easily tie up your own if you like them.

Tungsten beads, scud hooks, thread or 0.1mm mono thread, kiley's nymph skin (or similar), UV resin.

I would guess materials cost is ~$1/scud?  Something in that range?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
nymph skin ...check!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
nymph skin ...check!

Can cut strips of a freezer plastic bag and color them with nail polish or even a sharpie if you don't have nymph skin or scud back material.
westernmas on the finder

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
cool! RGR that. Ya I imagine pretty much anything will suffice now that I think about it.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've been trying to figure out what they are using for the fly body on those bug-shots.

I could be very wrong, but I bet you could make a body along those lines using one of the following. You might have to build up the underbody with thread to get the right proportions when using the chironomid braid, as it stretches and flattens when tying. The V-Rib material has less stretch, however.

https://thetroutspot.com/collections/body-material-rubber-legs/products/chironomid_braid

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/products/vinyl-rib

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey guys---if you have a vise and a bobbin I guess that's easy, but for those of us that don't----and have stubby fingers to boot----maybe not so much.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
I could be very wrong, but I bet you could make a body along those lines using one of the following. You might have to build up the underbody with thread to get the right proportions when using the chironomid braid, as it stretches and flattens when tying. The V-Rib material has less stretch, however.

https://thetroutspot.com/collections/body-material-rubber-legs/products/chironomid_braid

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/products/vinyl-rib

Sorry I was mostly wondering about the hook body and not the body material and how they were attaching the ring. I think I got it figured out after looking at different pictures (don't have any on-hand) - they are just cutting the hooks off and tying in a piece of steel leader to loop in the ring.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
they are just cutting the hooks off and tying in a piece of steel leader to loop in the ring.

Gotcha, my apologies for misunderstanding. But I bet you're right. I would superglue the heck out of that connection though.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
https://www.mustachejigsandflies.com/
Check out his YouTube video.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
 Much better prices!!  :thumbsup: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the link G Fish. That's a brilliant and easy to tie setup.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
I purchased an assortment of scuds from The Fly Shack in Gloversville NY They have an online sales and huge inventory with reasonable prices.  I've been using them to fly fish for Gills but will try stacking a couple above a tungsten jig if we ever get ice.

Offline simcoeslayer77

• IceShanty Rookie

Here are a few I made. I have never tied before this week...work in progress

Offline simcoeslayer77

• IceShanty Rookie
Few more... still experimenting with materials and techniques

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Those are darned good looking!! I hope they catch you a bunch of fish!! Hell of a job for just starting out!!! :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :bow: :icefish:
OS
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict

Ordered some from MUSTACHE JIGS   Good price quality looking jig.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Meh, nothing special about them.  I've found that many other ice flies work much better.  This type of deal was what I started out making before I had any skill  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.