Author Topic: Fizzing of fish.  (Read 2317 times)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Fizzing of fish.
« on: Feb 26, 2007, 11:41 PM »
I was at a derby last week and it had in the rules: "No fizzing of fish", which is releasing of pressure on the swim bladder.
Just wondering if fizzing fish makes it weigh more or less? Just curious because this isn't something I've heard of before at a derby and affecting weight.

Offline wallhanger

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fizzing of fish.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:45 AM »
when fizzing fish you are just releasing air which has no effect on weight,most tornaments have banned this because it slowly kills the fish due to infection

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:10 AM »
I guess the question of the day for people like myself that have never heard of this is ... Why would you do that in the first place ?
I have heard of doing that to bait to get them to sink with no weight but why with what you catch ?

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:15 AM »
Its usually done to fish that have been pulled out of deep water.Their bladders will burst if pulled up to fast as well as they are pretty much dead if you put them back that way. Some people fiz them so they can realease Them,THINKING they will survive. They will eventually die.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:35 AM »
People do this to get the fish down the hole thinking that it will swim away....IT DOESNT....It kills the fish. The only thing it does it lets the fish sink to the bottom cause it cant hold oxygen to float...Lake Trout dont do this cause they have the ability to burp out the air so they can move from shallow to deep water.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:49 AM »
when fizzing fish you are just releasing air which has no effect on weight,most tornaments have banned this because it slowly kills the fish due to infection

So if its not affecting weight then curious as to why people are doing it at tournaments?

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:49 AM »
If done properly, fizzing does absolutely no damage to the fish. If done wrong, yes, it will kill the fish.

We do this often in open water walleye tourneys. To be considered "alive and releaseable" the fish must be swimming upright.
Pete Lewis

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:13 AM »
If done properly, fizzing does absolutely no damage to the fish. If done wrong, yes, it will kill the fish...
please elaborate...  what's the "proper" method of fizzing fish?

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:42 AM »
If done properly, fizzing does absolutely no damage to the fish.
How can you possibly know this to be true? ???

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:59 AM »
I would think once a hole is in swim bladder how can it inflate/deflate properly? Kind of like a balloon. Once a hole is in there it would take a while to fix. I would have to see some evidence that it didn't harm the fish. Sure it might swim upright and away from you but that doesn't mean he is OK. Guess he would have to be held in a pen for some days and tests done after a week or so. Just my 2 cents.
I still have a hard time trying to figure out why this would be done at an icefishing tourney? Summer tourneys I can see if you have to have the fish swimming upright. :-\

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:02 AM »
Get yourself a needle from a vet, doctor, or drug store.
Fish will be belly up in the livewell, put your hand under its back, looking at the fish's vent (butt) count aproximately 3 scales over and 4 scales back toward tail.
Insert needle about a 45 degree angle pushing slightly forward, make sure fish is underwater so you can see air coming out. Keep livewell running constantly after this process to have plenty of oxygen in the water.
without seeing it done its difficult to learn.

Many studies have been done on this subject. A non-fizzed fish has absolutely no chance of survival. They will float on the surface and get picked apart by gulls. A fizzed walleye has at least some chance to return to the depths and survive.

Another common practice is to clip on a heavy snap weight to the bottom fins while it is in the livewell. This will often keep the walleye upright until the bladder can reacclimate the pressure.
Pete Lewis

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:17 AM »
I think I would prefer the 2nd method you mentioned...if I was a fish.
But I'm trying to figure out why they would have this posted at an icefishing tourney when weight is a factor. Maybe it is because its a catch and release event and the fish must be live when it comes to the weigh station. But the deepest part on grid is only 24 feet.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:57 AM »
I want to know for sure if the swim bladder repairs itself after a large hole is punched in it. I know the fish swims down and seems ok, but what if the swim bladder doesnt heal......

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:14 AM »
I want to know for sure if the swim bladder repairs itself after a large hole is punched in it. I know the fish swims down and seems ok, but what if the swim bladder doesnt heal......

They die,Lota guys think they are ok, Its just there way of making themselfs feel better thinking they will survive , so they can keep catching fish. ::)

There is no way to know who is right or wrong about this,only thing is,if I am wrong ,this fish isnt laying belly up somwhere.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:20 PM »
I was at a derby last week and it had in the rules: "No fizzing of fish", which is releasing of pressure on the swim bladder.
Just wondering if fizzing fish makes it weigh more or less? Just curious because this isn't something I've heard of before at a derby and affecting weight.
I actually did an experiment on this in the spring time with perch caught in 40 FOW.  Six ten inch perch were “fizzed” and kept in a live well until they were transferred to a containment pool. The air bladder was purged of excess air by inserting a #10 gauge sterile hypodermic needle 2 inches below the lateral line in the proximity of the dorsal fin, but if done improperly the organs will be damaged and kill the fish. I don’t recommend the needle purge unless extreme caution is exercised for personnel safety. They were kept for 3 weeks before being released; 5 survived 1 did not.  Have never had to “fizz” a walleye.
As to answer the question of why would it be a rule in a contest, I have seen people fizz a fish by inserting a fillet knife into a fish and then place the fish under water, well the air was definitely removed from the air bladder because it was a ˝ inch incision in the side of the fish and the abdominal cavity filled with water. Water weighs more than air so you see why it could be considered cheating in a contest where the heaviest fish wins.  :whistle:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Good post, thanks. We have slot limits and multi species deep water limit problems here. It especially bothers me with the slot fish, you must release to stay within the law but you know they're doomed. I'll try to learn the method, there's nothing to loss.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.