Author Topic: spring bobber feedback  (Read 4557 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
spring bobber feedback
« on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Looking for some feedback on various springs you have used. I almost always use 3-4mm tungsten. I have tried many different springs and 'generally' prefer a spring without the very small guide on the tip as those freeze shut too easy outside. Thanks for you feedback!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: spring bobber feedback
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Used these ..and easy on the wallet

http://htice.com/BE-2/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:15 AM »
X2 on the Ht. works great for me.
<===Lefty===

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:18 AM »
I don't use spring bobbers anymore, but ice strong are the only ones I found that I wouldn't be cussing out all the time.

https://www.kendersoutdoors.com/products/ice-strong-titanium-spring-bobbers
Da Pack!

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I got some of the Rapala titanium spring bobbers last year; they do what they say they will. The little gizmo that attaches it to the rod is kinda bulky, but you get used to it. At around $10 for 2, they are pretty spendy, but they were what the store had.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Looking for some feedback on various springs you have used. I almost always use 3-4mm tungsten. I have tried many different springs and 'generally' prefer a spring without the very small guide on the tip as those freeze shut too easy outside. Thanks for you feedback!

i prefer the st croix style spring.  that said the ice strong springs have been real good too.

i use mostly noodles for 3mm-4mm the past 5-6 years or so though. 

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:44 AM »
thanks guys. i should have mentioned i plan to tie the spring on the tip. My most lethal rod i have built is a noodle with 2.5in trimmed off the tip and then tie a spring on. A spring is still a bit more sensitive than just a noodle tip. I am a spring and 3-4mm tungsten guy for 90% of my fishing. The ice strong are nice but $10 a pop is plenty. I see sportsmens direct has one that is basically the same as an ice strong for way cheaper but out of stock, so that don't do much good.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Ive ditched most spring bobbers and use tip sensitive rods now like the snitch or cheap ht ice blues.but im a fan of frabill titanium and the diy st croix indicators.for the price if a good indicator i just started buying ice blue rods for basically the same price.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:53 AM »
thanks guys. i should have mentioned i plan to tie the spring on the tip. My most lethal rod i have built is a noodle with 2.5in trimmed off the tip and then tie a spring on. A spring is still a bit more sensitive than just a noodle tip. I am a spring and 3-4mm tungsten guy for 90% of my fishing. The ice strong are nice but $10 a pop is plenty. I see sportsmens direct has one that is basically the same as an ice strong for way cheaper but out of stock, so that don't do much good.

If you're going to be attaching to the tip yourself, the HT spring bobbers should work good for you. I just don't like how they connect to the rod, sensitivity wise they are great.
Da Pack!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2020, 12:31 PM »
If you're going to tie an indicator on anyway I would just tie another eye on the top of the rod, get a grommet and use the St.Croix style. I like that they are adjustable and easy to remove if not needed.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2020, 12:59 PM »
I don't use spring bobbers anymore, but ice strong are the only ones I found that I wouldn't be cussing out all the time.

https://www.kendersoutdoors.com/products/ice-strong-titanium-spring-bobbers

I use the Ice Strong bobbers attached to the rod tip using Loctite GO2 Tape.  Allows me to easily change the bobber position by sliding the wire through the tape.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2020, 03:45 PM »
I'm another that doesn't like spring bobbers... I prefer to pinch a kink in the line and watch what the kink does when dealing with "light biters", I know it doesn't help with your question but just another technique to achieve the same goal.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Best I have used are the St-Croix spring bobbers, you can tie them on using a double sided guide.

My next choice would be Frabill.
https://www.frabill.com/titanium-spring-bobber
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2020, 04:13 PM »
I've built quite a few rods with https://fishicestrong.com/ spring bobbers - they work very well

Catchin' Fish

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2020, 04:59 PM »
I use the Ice Strong bobbers attached to the rod tip using Loctite GO2 Tape.  Allows me to easily change the bobber position by sliding the wire through the tape.

X2 on the Ice Stongs. Well worth the money. I do modify mine a bit. I bend the bottom 3/4" or so to a 90* bend , then tie it on with sewing thread and coat it with a little nail polish, horizontally to the rod tip...personal preference. I also open up the eye so I can pass the jig through it when storing. Keeps the stress off from it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:13 PM »
If you're going to tie an indicator on anyway I would just tie another eye on the top of the rod, get a grommet and use the St.Croix style. I like that they are adjustable and easy to remove if not needed.

I also use the St.Croix spring bobbers. I tried the titanium ones that aren't suppose to bend, but they all did.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:46 AM »
I make my own, patterned after the Lakco Brand . Works for me.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2020, 11:56 AM »
I snapped off tips nf two of my custom rods a few years back. I decided to trim them to a good length and wrap in Ice Strongs on both.  Still disappointed about the damage but they fish pretty well.   

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2020, 12:34 PM »
I've built quite a few rods with https://fishicestrong.com/ spring bobbers - they work very well

I don't understand why the line eye on icestrong spring bobbers are "flat" instead of turned down like a line guide?  Their online video seems to show the spring hanging nearly straight down when in use, but the video is such low resolution it's hard to see.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Over the years I have used various spring bobbers. For me the best that I have found are Ice Strong.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2020, 01:25 PM »
I don't understand why the line eye on icestrong spring bobbers are "flat" instead of turned down like a line guide?  Their online video seems to show the spring hanging nearly straight down when in use, but the video is such low resolution it's hard to see.

I bend mine down and "squeeze" the eye to open it up a little. I also bend 3/4 of an inch on the other end at 90*, then tie on perpendicular to the rod tip. Easier for me to see.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2020, 09:49 AM »

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Normally I use UL Tickle Sticks.  For my 4mm and 5mm tungsten I don't think I need a spring bobber.

I've use the Clam Nitinol spring bobbers for when I drop down to 3mm.  They're sensitive and are a non-permanent option, which I like.  The holder doesn't stay on the rod perfectly, but I like that it's easily removed if I want to use the rod for a spoon or something.  If I know I'm going to be using that setup for a while, then I'll adjust the wire in/out to where I want it, then electrical tape the back end down.  Again, not a permanent mount - but I like that. 

I try to avoid going down to 3mm (hard to get a good hook into a big crappie) but when I do, that's when I break out the spring bobber.  Eventually I'll probably get a SUL Tickle Stick or a noodle rod for the ultra finesse applications just so I don't need to mess with the spring bobbers.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:40 PM »
I bend mine down and "squeeze" the eye to open it up a little. I also bend 3/4 of an inch on the other end at 90*, then tie on perpendicular to the rod tip. Easier for me to see.

Thanks Iceassin. Sounds like a good setup.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2020, 01:23 PM »
Thanks Iceassin. Sounds like a good setup.

You're welcome. 😉

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2020, 01:37 PM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2020, 02:10 PM »
Great videos hardwater!  Thanks for posting.  I might look for some of that tape before the season starts.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #28 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:32 AM »
i like using these:

https://www.rogersrigs.com/store/Lite-Byte-Spring-Bobbers-p140243489

Can also be found here: https://litebytebobber.com/lite-byte-worlds-best-ice-fishing-bobber/

I havent had any issues with using using this spring bobber. Definitely gets two thumbs up from me  :thumbsup:

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:43 AM »
I must be the only one who actually like a spring, lol.

https://www.frabill.com/spring-bobber-2-pack-with-line-threader

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.