Author Topic: spring bobber feedback  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: spring bobber feedback
« Reply #30 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:44 AM »
i like using these:

https://www.rogersrigs.com/store/Lite-Byte-Spring-Bobbers-p140243489

Can also be found here: https://litebytebobber.com/lite-byte-worlds-best-ice-fishing-bobber/

I havent had any issues with using using this spring bobber. Definitely gets two thumbs up from me  :thumbsup:

I have a couple that I used in the past. Is the spring heavy enough to hold tungsten jigs?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Oct 27, 2020, 01:50 PM »
I have used a lot of different designs and now I only use frabil titanium indicators.  They mount using a rubber clip on design and are fully retractable and adjustable with large opening to pass jigs and snap locks through. When its fully retracted you can use spoons and makes it super easy to slip a rod sock over it for storage.

Because they are so versatile and easy to mount and dismount with jig still on, it is easy to start with just one or two and move it to your other rods with ease. I have enough to be able to have six or seven rods tied with different jigs so I can simply grab the rod with the jig I want to use next.

I found a great deal on Amazon for three bucks a pop in bulk packaging and bought many about six years ago. Still have some in their bulk packaging.

They are great for 5/6mm down and small slender spoons.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #32 on: Oct 28, 2020, 11:54 AM »
I have a couple that I used in the past. Is the spring heavy enough to hold tungsten jigs?

I dont remember having an issue with any tungsten jigs. Maybe a slight bend but nothing substantial that would affect the effectiveness of the spring bobber. I mostly use 3-5mm tungsten for a size reference so should be good to go with that brand.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 28, 2020, 01:08 PM »
The spring is always slightly loaded, as the spring is very sensitive, but that hepls on "up" bites. You can see the spring bend back.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Those indicators that are springs suck.hard to thread,line freezes up in them and they are not very sensitive.id stick with the wire style.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 29, 2020, 03:18 PM »

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:15 PM »
those coil springs used to come with the South Bend Celsius combos. Into the trash they went.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #38 on: Oct 30, 2020, 04:01 AM »
Those indicators that are springs suck.hard to thread,line freezes up in them and they are not very sensitive.id stick with the wire style.

X2...even tried those out of a Bic lighter.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Oct 30, 2020, 06:35 AM »
Something I have not seen before from HT

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ADJUST-SPRING-BOBBER/55322426
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 30, 2020, 01:48 PM »
oh man those springs...the stories i could tell.  threader or no threader,  i've almost given up ice fishing a few times early on because of them things. 

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 30, 2020, 02:15 PM »
The biggest problem I’ve encountered is how the indicator attaches to the rod. It doesn’t seem to matter which one I’ve tried, it always manages to shake loose, and becomes an issue. As I don’t like using any kind of adhesive, I’ve managed to solve the problem with a couple of rods that have an internal, adjustable, titanium indicator inside the tip. I don’t recall what brand they are, but I do like the idea of adjusting the sensitivity by pulling it out to different lengths. I know that doesn’t solve the problem on other rods, but when I need the added visual option of an indicator, they seem to work just fine for me. I think they are inexpensive Beaver dam rods.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #42 on: Oct 30, 2020, 02:44 PM »
The biggest problem I’ve encountered is how the indicator attaches to the rod. It doesn’t seem to matter which one I’ve tried, it always manages to shake loose, and becomes an issue. As I don’t like using any kind of adhesive, I’ve managed to solve the problem with a couple of rods that have an internal, adjustable, titanium indicator inside the tip. I don’t recall what brand they are, but I do like the idea of adjusting the sensitivity by pulling it out to different lengths. I know that doesn’t solve the problem on other rods, but when I need the added visual option of an indicator, they seem to work just fine for me. I think they are inexpensive Beaver dam rods.

Well, I'll try and help...at least the way I do it. Ice Strong makes titaniums that come in different sizes depending on the weight of the jig you're using so I don't need to adjust them, I just have all sizes on different rods. I tie them on with sewing thread (about 3/4" worth from the end) and coat them a bit with nail polish to keep tight. To remove, if I have to, a few cuts with a razor blade and done.

One thing I also do is bend the end of which I am tying on at a 90* angle so they are horizontal to the rod (easier for me to see). Also, I make sure that the indicator is straight up and down (perpendicular to the rod) when I tie it on...maybe just cheat it one way a little (I cheat left). This ensures that the weight of the jig doesn't bend it too much which could make it less sensitive. Last thing, I bend the eye of the indicator down and " squeeze " it open a bit to allow my jig to pass through it so when storing it there is no tension on it. Hope this helps.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2020, 08:26 PM »
I like the Rapala spring bobbers. My pic will show you my mounting method. I cut a 1/8" wide piece of painter's tape to cover any rough edges. Since it's adjustable, I need nothing else.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2020, 06:08 PM »
Something I have not seen before from HT

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ADJUST-SPRING-BOBBER/55322426
I hate those foam inserts. but may give these a try

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.