Author Topic: SidexSide or wheeler?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
SidexSide or wheeler?
« on: Dec 28, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I have been a sled fisherman forever. I still have sleds, I trail ride a lot. But I want to get a wheeled vehicle for year round fun and fishing when there is no snow. Is a SxS a good choice even if I'm not going to do tracks? Or is it just too heavy? I would far prefer a SxS in the summer and fall, but I'm wondering if it's just a nightmare without tracks? Maybe I should try a wheeler first? Can't seem to make up my mind.

One disadvantage is I don't think the side by side and a sled would fit in my trailer at the same time. A wheeler would fit with my sled though.

Anything I should be thinking about specifically? I'm new to wheeled off road vehicles but have rode sleds forever.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SidexSide or wheeler?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:49 PM »
You don't need tracks to ride in the winter.  I no longer have this one but its the smallest of the Polaris SxS line and never had a problem in snow a foot deep.  When I wanted to use it for ice fishing, I put a set of old tires studded with 3/8 " hex head screws in them on the rear axle.  No problems at all.
I now have the Polaris s1000 and have chains for the tires instead of the screws.

You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2018, 05:52 PM »
A side x side with a heated cab is pretty sweet.

WS

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:48 PM »
If I where you I would get a wheeler, it's would be nice to bring your snowmobile as well for either a back up or if the snow is too deep. If your hauling a shelter than you still have the means to get out of the elements. I have a sled and a wheeler. When on the ice I never had a problem with the wheeler getting around. The only othe downfall of a side by side is weight on winters like this one ( so far). Do yourself a favor go Japanese with whatever you buy. I found out from someone in the industry a lot of Polaris and artic cats are Chinese, that explains why they are junk.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Honda or Yamaha. Honda's are slow and dated technology but they just don't quit.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:35 PM »
If I where you I would get a wheeler, it's would be nice to bring your snowmobile as well for either a back up or if the snow is too deep. If your hauling a shelter than you still have the means to get out of the elements. I have a sled and a wheeler. When on the ice I never had a problem with the wheeler getting around. The only othe downfall of a side by side is weight on winters like this one ( so far). Do yourself a favor go Japanese with whatever you buy. I found out from someone in the industry a lot of Polaris and artic cats are Chinese, that explains why they are junk.

Whoever told you that has no grounded information at all. Polaris builds all of its engines in house right now. They may buy various pieces, like a carb, from overseas but they would usually buy Japanese. Arctic cat has a mix of things going on, they have suzuki engines (japanese), kimco engines (korean), and now that they're bought out by Textron they're making their own engines in house. Don't mean to jump all over you, but I hate seeing blind blanket statements made.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.