Author Topic: Screw in studs.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Screw in studs.
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Has anyone here tried them on their sled?
Opinions.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Scew in studs.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:09 PM »
I have not put them on my sled yet but put them on my tracked SXS. Kold Kutters I believe. They work fine on the SXS but there is no way I can get the tracks to spin fast like on a snowsled. If you're using them on a sled that your not tempted to goose it and slam on the brakes like a teenager I would think they would work fine. If you race around and ride like a young kid you'll probably rip them out but if you're just fanning the throttle to get out of slush or off glare ice you'll be good. There would be an optimum # of screws to put depending on your HP and track length. If you don't put enough they'll rip out. I'm hesitant to put them on my sled cause they may rub on the heat exchangers and I sometimes ride like a young kid. :-\. Also, if your track is somewhat aged... that will finish it off.
It must be something in the water.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:20 PM »
I have not put them on my sled yet but put them on my tracked SXS. Kold Kutters I believe. They work fine on the SXS but there is no way I can get the tracks to spin fast like on a snowsled. If you're using them on a sled that your not tempted to goose it and slam on the brakes like a teenager I would think they would work fine. If you race around and ride like a young kid you'll probably rip them out but if you're just fanning the throttle to get out of slush or off glare ice you'll be good. There would be an optimum # of screws to put depending on your HP and track length. If you don't put enough they'll rip out. I'm hesitant to put them on my sled cause they may rub on the heat exchangers and I sometimes ride like a young kid. :-\. Also, if your track is somewhat aged... that will finish it off.

I agree with this.  Use them on my tracked ATV and have never lost one; but would doubt they'd hold up to the spinning of a sled track.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Do you have a liquid or fan cooled sled? How good of condition is the track in?

Deteriorated rubber will not hold them well and you are likely to throw them like shrapnel into your heat exchangers. Standard studs are not that pricey and 100% worth the investment IMO. Especially for a sled used on the ice.

A fan cooled sled that has practically new rubber and is not used on the trails at all.... I would maybe consider the screws.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:02 PM »
A fan cooled sled that has practically new rubber and is not used on the trails at all.... I would maybe consider the screws.
My situation completely.
For ice fishing basically and I'm not a young guy who wants to gun it.
I enjoy a slower ride where I have time to look around.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Screw in studs.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Well give it a go! Worst case some pull out and chunk up the track. No biggy. Should still work just fine!

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Skip them if it's a liquid... eventually one will tear out or loosen up even from gentle throttle usage- you risk putting it through your heat exchanger which will undoubtedly be on the worst day.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2018, 02:58 AM »
Decided to go with regular studs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.