Author Topic: Snowmobile Mods Plans  (Read 50391 times)

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowmobile Mods Plans
« Reply #60 on: Dec 14, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Thats one sweet setup you have there!

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 14, 2011, 11:42 AM »
VERY nice!!!   :tipup:

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #62 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:56 PM »
stevek, the guy at the dealership installed the studs. He said it would be fine as long as did not gun it real hard from a stand still. Not a problem for me, I ride it like an old man.
As far as the scratchers, the same reason, it would have been only a matter of time before I ruined the other type.

Mainedog, The four uprights and the cross beam that make up the rack are welded to a stock sport bumper that is installed as recommended. The hood pops right off, no problems.

An accessible area for a rod holder and the flasher.

Thanks all, bart
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Great job Bart. I've been following your project with intrest. My T570 uses the same chassis yours does and I was wondering about the bumper being strong enough to mount an auger on. Beautiful work.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #64 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I'll be riding mine about the same way. I may get the same stud pattern in mine this year and add the other half when I have more cash. Good luck this year, great job on the rig.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #65 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I'll be riding mine about the same way. I may get the same stud pattern in mine this year and add the other half when I have more cash. Good luck this year, great job on the rig.

No problem.

A lot of nice people on this site have done the same for me, actually have helped with the mods and have educated me alot about snowmobiles.

Thanks again to all, bart
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #66 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Just ordered a fresh battery and a battery tender to extend the life of the new battery. Ordering a tank bag this week also, still working on a rod holder.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #67 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:56 PM »
Finally got my sled on the ice, mechanically everything went well without a single hitch! First it started, with a turn of the key... I added a Lowerance Mark 4 with the Navionics chip which is pretty nice and used the scratchers. Had the stud pattern completed too. Fish-wise I got skunked, but still a nice day on the ice.

Keep America Godly...

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Looking good Bart! I'm giving some serious thought to trying to get my Fish Trap up off the ground like yours after my last trip. We had some deep snow and slush to get though before running 8 miles down a lake through 18" of loose snow, and I found my trusty Tundra just didn't quite have the power to drag the Fish Trap. Definitely a project for the off-season though.

Thanks for sharing!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #69 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:33 PM »
After watching a few guys dragging their Fish Traps and seeing some with damage, I'm glad mine is off the ground.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience, you have been a great help to me!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #70 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Looks like a good setup.  Have fun with it.  Happy trails....        D Hutt

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience, you have been a great help to me!

My pleasure Bart, that's what this site is for after all!  :tipup:
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #72 on: Mar 20, 2013, 03:06 PM »
that is a real nice set up you have there sir

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #73 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:03 PM »
 vtshantyman, thanks.

I'm currently working on a rod holder...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #74 on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Everything has been operating well. The rod holders and a bucket bracket didn't get done last year, this year hoping to get them done. I want to get a larger sled for tip-up excursions and possibly a wireless winch, just in case. The sled and trailer gets a thorough cleaning and the preventive maintenance at the end of this season. PLEASE NOTE: rigid tow bar and helmet!  ;D
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #75 on: Jul 13, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I just bought a snow mobile and would like to see more mods with pictures any post would help Thanks
Never to many short poles

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #76 on: Jul 14, 2014, 05:54 AM »
I did a little reorganization of my pictures on photobucket.com, must have cancelled all my pics?
I had the seat shortened

Tow hitch and studs

Shanty Rack

Auger Rack

Ice Scratchers

Centered the trailer mount, track pad and ski tracks(double sled trailer). Added track pad to the right side for better footing for myself.

It all fits loaded in the trailer. Note: the bait bucket holder, one on each side.

Its been working great on the ice, also note the Lowerance Mark 4, GPS/ Fish Finder with Navonics chip.
Good luck with your project, looking forward to pics too!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #77 on: Jul 14, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Bart .. seen your pictures in your past posts...what a great job and inspiration to others ...I have a Yamaha Kodiak I put a Shappell ATV shelter rack on the rear rack  on last year and a file crate mounted to the front ....holds a 5 gal bucket for the bait bucket and my tip up hole covers ...my auger rests atop the front rack with Kolpin rubber gun grips. .its great to have a dedicated place for everything that secure ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #78 on: Jul 14, 2014, 06:52 AM »
That's a really sweet set up Bart!! Well done!  :clap:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Jul 14, 2014, 08:17 AM »
That's a great set up and good looking snowmobile.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jul 19, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I did a little reorganization of my pictures on photobucket.com, must have cancelled all my pics?
I had the seat shortened

Tow hitch and studs

Shanty Rack

Auger Rack

Ice Scratchers

Centered the trailer mount, track pad and ski tracks(double sled trailer). Added track pad to the right side for better footing for myself.

It all fits loaded in the trailer. Note: the bait bucket holder, one on each side.

Its been working great on the ice, also note the Lowerance Mark 4, GPS/ Fish Finder with Navonics chip.
What are the ice scracher things for on your rear suspention?
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #81 on: Jul 19, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #82 on: Jul 19, 2014, 07:50 PM »
They scratch at packed snow and ice to throw ice and snow on the track to help keep sliders lubricated.
  Keep America Godly...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jul 19, 2014, 07:52 PM »
This may shed some light on it      http://www.snowmobile.com/products/product-test-ice-scratchers-for-flatlanders-1711.html
Thanks H.D. That is a pretty cool. Even though I rode snomobiles for 30+ years now, i have never saw anything like that before. Thanks for posting that!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jul 19, 2014, 07:55 PM »
They scratch at packed snow and ice to throw ice and snow on the track to keep sliders lubricated.

Thank you also Bart. I think i might have to look into a set of those. We usually have plenty of snow and slush  on the lakes in northern Wisconsin, but ive smelled that nasty smell of melting slides before. ;D

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jul 21, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Nice setup Bart thanks for posting it looks like I have some good ideas from you guys for my artic cat sled

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #86 on: Jul 22, 2014, 08:02 AM »

Bart--I'm curious, why the shack rack when you're already pulling at least one sled (I presume the Otter is for storage and is not a shack)?  Wouldn't it have been easier/less expensive just to daisy chain your sleds at that point?   Alternatively, wouldn't the Clam hold items that you have in your storage sled to keep from having to drag a sled?

Chris Raymond

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #87 on: Jul 22, 2014, 12:29 PM »
About 90% of the time I don't have the Otter sled in tow. I only use that sled when doing a little tip-up fishing for Northern Pike and Lake Trout. I guess my equipment runneth over... ;D

Seriously, I have done with and without the Otter sled setting up tip ups, but... I usually trace out a contour or area I want to set up the tip-ups with the snowmobile using the GPS with the Navionics. Then with the Otter loaded with everything I need to set up the tip-ups, I go from one location too another.  It's convenient, lighter, more quiet and lets the area settle down quicker. Having the shanty up on the sled is simply better for the tub and equipment.

The hitch is handy too, you might catch me towing someone else's equipment from time to time...  ;)

Keep America Godly...

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #88 on: Jul 22, 2014, 07:50 PM »
About 90% of the time I don't have the Otter sled in tow. I only use that sled when doing a little tip-up fishing for Northern Pike and Lake Trout. I guess my equipment runneth over... ;D

Seriously, I have done with and without the Otter sled setting up tip ups, but... I usually trace out a contour or area I want to set up the tip-ups with the snowmobile using the GPS with the Navionics. Then with the Otter loaded with everything I need to set up the tip-ups, I go from one location too another.  It's convenient, lighter, more quiet and lets the area settle down quicker. Having the shanty up on the sled is simply better for the tub and equipment.

The hitch is handy too, you might catch me towing someone else's equipment from time to time...  ;)

Gotcha.  Makes sense. 
Chris Raymond

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Aug 09, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Definitely like me if I pulled everything I have I would look like a train LOL ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.