Author Topic: Wayne or Union County  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Wisconsin Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wisconsin River Eyes
Wayne or Union County
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Just moved here awhile back from the "Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin". Ice isn't the greatest here but is very fishable. Any suggestions of where to get some crappies or gills? With last weekends deep freeze, should have 4" - 5" of ice. Any reports from either Wayne or Union county?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wayne or Union County
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:39 AM »
Hey WisconsinBoy, if you are from Wayne County, you should head to Summit Lake. Right now fish are being taken in Beaver Creek Bay and the Campground bay. Lots of Fisherman there so the ice is obviously safe. Good Luck!

Jigmup
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Wisconsin Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wisconsin River Eyes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Thanks for the tip Jigmup. I'll give it a shot. Any luck, I'll be sure to let you know.

Offline BP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Hey Wisconsin,
I live just south of Richmond. Would like to hit Whitewater SP this afternoon if I can get thing wrapped up here at work. If now I'm going to Middle Fork Rev. FYI. the park department doesn't allow ice fishing but you can walk the docks and drill hole. Great gill's but the crappies are on the small size. Try and hook up sometime - Good luck and be safe. BP

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Hey BP, is there ice on Whitewater S.P.? Never fished it in the winter. Any advice on where to start? Do many fish it? Always wanted to go but I am usually alone and a little scared if ice is iffy.

Offline Hooked123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:20 AM »
  Hi Guys
   Ive been watching your post .I live in Hagerstown my son & I ice fish & have been fishing Summit for years.Hey BP how is the ice on Whitewater & where do you
you fish at there? My son fished Summit yesterday & the day before .Though bite yesterday lots of fish being marked but not many takers.The day before he got some nice gills.
  Let me know if I can help.
 Thanks Hooked

Offline ck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:38 AM »
Hooked123, is t5hat you Terry?

Offline Hooked123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:45 AM »
  It is. CK ?

Offline BP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Hey Guys,
Sorry for the late reply. I went to Middlefork last night after work (5 minute drive) and running low on day light - The ice is very iffy,
1.5" to 1.75" and we are only allowed to fish off the docks - marked plenty of fish, but the bite was slow. I have not made it down to Whitewater this season but its a great lake. But with that being said, it's a reservoir. Slower to freeze up solid - wind, run off and the depth make it a challenge. Spud or drill often! - I'm not trying to scare anyone off, or save a "honey hole". Try and buddy up and be safe. I personal like to fish the north end and the beach area, but last season I worked the deeper water south of the beach with good success.
Hope this helps and sorry for the length. BP   

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:25 PM »
BP, have you ever ice fished the area straight across and a little north of the boat ramp. In the summer it looks like a flat area with plenty of weeds and holds bluegills - nice gills. Also, have you caught any of the crappie there through the ice? They should be getting a respectable size now. I plan on calling the office today and will post what they say about the ice conditions - about an hour drive for me to go and just look. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.