Author Topic: A bit off topic... fishing then hunting  (Read 2141 times)

Offline jiminy_fatal

• IceShanty Rookie
A bit off topic... fishing then hunting
« on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:25 AM »
Ice fishing is going so poorly this year (I'm in saskatoon, and used to live up north) that I've already started to think about hunting.  Specifically the spring snow goose hunt.  Does anyone know if/when this will happen this year?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline duke1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: A bit off topic... fishing then hunting
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2008, 09:02 PM »
i believe it opened in May last year.. regs are not out yet, but i'm sure it will be open. the snows do not stay long as 80 % head into the arctic. save your $$ for Oct.. holy crap millions will be around for days. keep your fishing rod handy to hit a few lakes also.  ;)

Offline jiminy_fatal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:16 AM »
I just got an email from SERM - april 1st-May 31st is the season, less depending whether you are east or west of 106 degrees.

Offline duke1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2008, 12:05 PM »
sounds good think i'll give it a try this spring. hit the Quills lake area.

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2008, 12:07 PM »
Damn...thanks for telling me the ice fishings been slow around Stoon this year...I guess I should quit catching fish then, lol...but I really thought most lakes I've been to around here have been good this winter.

Offline jiminy_fatal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2008, 10:38 PM »
I guess i feel they are slow in comparison to the Far north lakes I fished last winter...  I got spoiled.

Offline waterjug

• IceShanty Rookie
  • catch em if you got em
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2008, 01:08 AM »
fatal i to spring goose hunt we will keep in touch i hunt the  grandora area 15 min out of saskatoon west for these birds we  have 1 month april 1 to the 30 th here in this area.... humbolt over east or around that area is till may 31st so 2 months there...keep in touch through this subject..
ger the fish hunter

Offline Gibson

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 2/3 water 1/3 land = 2/3 fishing 1/3/work!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2008, 04:30 PM »
My brains in Elk mode myself.....Just mailed out my draw tag for archery...I'm sure it'll be a great summer fishing, but while the cold has socked in again, I've broken off the seal on a bottle of Gibson's finest just to keep the blood flowing. 

I've been spoiled as well with living up north for several years and being transplanted back down south.
May the holes in your net be smaller than the fish in it!!!!

Offline jiminy_fatal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2008, 11:55 PM »
Waterjug,

I'm a rookie when it comes to the goose hunting action, My first time out, last spring, was me crawling in mud trying to sneak up on a huge flock about a half hour east of Humboldt, let it be said that It wasn't successful.  I would love to 'properly' hunt geese close to here!

Gibson,

Where were you up in the north? I've been living in the La Loche area for the last couple of years before coming down here to get a Masters degree.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2008, 04:17 AM »
J_F what lakes did you fish when you lived in la loche?? have fished up that way quite a bit. ducharme, dupuis, amber, fontaine, broach etc. always looking to try new lakes when we are up there maybe go a bit farther north of broach this year.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Gibson

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 2/3 water 1/3 land = 2/3 fishing 1/3/work!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:04 AM »
Jiminy, I was in Flin Flon on the Manitoba side for about 12 years.  I make a point of getting back there at least 2 or 3 times a year for fishing and once for Moose. 
May the holes in your net be smaller than the fish in it!!!!

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:15 AM »
My brains in Elk mode myself.....Just mailed out my draw tag for archery...I'm sure it'll be a great summer fishing, but while the cold has socked in again, I've broken off the seal on a bottle of Gibson's finest just to keep the blood flowing. 

I've been spoiled as well with living up north for several years and being transplanted back down south.

Did someone say ............

ELK

Offline jiminy_fatal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:47 AM »
J_F what lakes did you fish when you lived in la loche?? have fished up that way quite a bit. ducharme, dupuis, amber, fontaine, broach etc. always looking to try new lakes when we are up there maybe go a bit farther north of broach this year.

I've fished every single hole alongside the road all the way to cluff lake.

My favs are defintely Dupuis and fontaine. But i've managed to snag some artic grayling near the bridge at the rapids, and some huge pike at Turnor Lake (frobishers) many many fish at the river near Dillion as well.  Huge suckers at the la loche river heading south, and thousands of burbot, whitefish and jack on Lac La Loche itself.

I've got a great little map of all the trails and fishable lakes on the cluff lake road.  Agar lake supposedly has huge pike, but I've never been there because it is an ugly haul into the bush.

By far the best icefishing i've had is on fontaine lake, just for the sheer number of splake and rainbows...

I'm feeling very nostalgic right now..

very.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2008, 02:34 PM »
yeah the cluff road is fishing paradise alright, we iced fished fontaine a few times well, always fast action for sure, ice fishing dupuis is pretty deadly as well. ever venture up to carswell?? guy i work with fished it quite a bit when the mine was operational, but told me you can still get permission from the mine to get through. wish i could spend two weeks up there every year. so many lakes to try. not sure where we are trying this year patterson (looking for some bigger lakers this year) and amber for sure, had some awesome fish there when we were up in august last year.  what km is the trail for agar??
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.