Author Topic: WANTED big jack for the wall !  (Read 4599 times)

Offline rickie72

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: WANTED big jack for the wall !
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:44 PM »
 its got to be one that i get , gust like hunting i dont let any one eles shoot my deer

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:21 PM »
Have you ever considered getting a replica done of a trophy you catch?  They last longer than a skin mount and no concern about the wall hanger not quite getting out of the slot at places like Tobin.

Offline rickie72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:53 PM »
 does a replica cost less than a wall mount ?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:59 PM »
I had a 33 inch Walleye replica done by Morin taxidermy in Nipawin last fall. 33 Incher cost me just under $600 and did a great job. I sent him the picture of the walleye that I had caught and he painted the replica's colors off the picture and matched the replica with the real fish really well. Had to wait almost a year to get the mount but was worth the wait.

Offline JackHammer09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:42 AM »
I had a 33 inch Walleye replica done by Morin taxidermy in Nipawin last fall. 33 Incher cost me just under $600 and did a great job. I sent him the picture of the walleye that I had caught and he painted the replica's colors off the picture and matched the replica with the real fish really well. Had to wait almost a year to get the mount but was worth the wait.

Right on farmboy, replica's are the way to go... they look great and keep our fisheries prosperous!

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:37 AM »
while replicas are equally nice..they will never be able to mimic the exact body shape of the fish a person caught. A hand carved body , with the correct measurements taken off of the real fish will always be  more accurate. There is no way a precast mold of a fish will replicate a specific body shape. The upside to this is the fact that most fisherman quickly forget what thier fish looked like as they only spend aprox. a few minutes with the fish and then its kept by the taxidermist. No person can convince me a replica is better than a skin mount.Also a skin mount, due to belief, can and will last as long as a replica if done correctly. Just my two cents worth.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:53 PM »
i had a 34 inch walleye done by morins taxidermy in nipawin also.he did a great job! it wasntthat long of a wait either i got it back in 3 monthes

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:23 PM »
As for taxidermy- the BEST way is to go is in fact a replica, done by ADVANCED TAXIDERMY, based out of oakville, Ontario.  No one comes close to there work. Each fish mount does come from a mold, BUT is sanded to the fish size.  Just be sure to take lots of pictures, as any taxidermist likes to see (for color, size, and markings).  The beauty thing with a replica, is they DO NOT FADE, and you DO NOT KILL the fish.  Advanced also uses a type of silcone instead of fiberglass?, which has better water resistance qualities.  Skin mounts over time start losing their color, as well - how many fins do you see on wall mounts that will get pieces or the whole thing broken off.  A high quality replica taxidermist can fix this easily (if it is dropped- they are much more durable), and make look new again.  They did a 25" male Tiger Trout in full spawn colors for me (caught it on the fly), and it is incredible.  Not just to me, but to editors of fly max, and canadian flyfisherman mag (guys who see a lot of fish.)  Turn around time is around 6 months(depending on the paint job- the tiger was a bit more).  Class acts over there, Orion Taxidermy (ryan white) also says they are the way to go... a top taxidermist advising to go this route.  No one can touch their work.  They can do a number of cool things to, and since it is a replica, you are able to mount it in many different positions, just with a screw!   My tiger trout is on there website last I looked.
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:49 AM »
As for taxidermy- the BEST way is to go is in fact a replica, done by ADVANCED TAXIDERMY, based out of oakville, Ontario.  No one comes close to there work. Each fish mount does come from a mold, BUT is sanded to the fish size.  Just be sure to take lots of pictures, as any taxidermist likes to see (for color, size, and markings).  The beauty thing with a replica, is they DO NOT FADE, and you DO NOT KILL the fish.  Advanced also uses a type of silcone instead of fiberglass?, which has better water resistance qualities.  Skin mounts over time start losing their color, as well - how many fins do you see on wall mounts that will get pieces or the whole thing broken off.  A high quality replica taxidermist can fix this easily (if it is dropped- they are much more durable), and make look new again.  They did a 25" male Tiger Trout in full spawn colors for me (caught it on the fly), and it is incredible.  Not just to me, but to editors of fly max, and canadian flyfisherman mag (guys who see a lot of fish.)  Turn around time is around 6 months(depending on the paint job- the tiger was a bit more).  Class acts over there, Orion Taxidermy (ryan white) also says they are the way to go... a top taxidermist advising to go this route.  No one can touch their work.  They can do a number of cool things to, and since it is a replica, you are able to mount it in many different positions, just with a screw!   My tiger trout is on there website last I looked.

Rite on, where abouts did you find a 25" tiger? Thats a big trout!
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:54 AM »
Twin lakes, Manitoba has the biggies.  We did a show there for fly max, but fished it that prior fall for spawn colors.  It was insane, chucking pike streamers!  Ice on the edges, and the tigers were flying up to hammer it.  Missed out this fall, went too late, already off the spawn, real dosile, saw some doozies those.  That magical fall, I did have one we figured was 28+ on a 8" husky jerk- threw the hook on it's 5th jump.  What a ridiculous trip that was!
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.