Author Topic: Anyone try out the new Frabills  (Read 4381 times)

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
Anyone try out the new Frabills
« on: Dec 27, 2008, 10:06 PM »
I'm looking to buy a new flip over and was wondering if anyone has tried the new Frabills.  I'm trying to decide between the Trekker 3 or the Predator if I can find one.  Any info would be appreciated.  :)

Offline bigtim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • gone fishing
Re: Anyone try out the new Frabills
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2008, 02:50 AM »
i have last years fortress gt little heavy to tow by hand but i have a sled and atv love the shanty lots of room thats what i wanted was room easy to set up i gave up lightness for room

Offline RagingDiablo13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:59 PM »
I bought the GT Prowler at the start of season last year.  Been out 20 times with it and Love it.  Pulls nice by hand if on ice, hooks up to ATV with toe bar.  Love the storage in the ski glides.  I keep all my extra tip ups and rods in those.  Found it on sale for $500.  Seats are extra padded, and thicker material.  I would buy one again

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:10 AM »
i have the brand new model and love the thing............great est money I ever spent at least I got a quality product for a decent amount of money instead of paying for a name like clam

Trooper Bri

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Didn't get to fish in one, but my favorite tackleshop has a variety of the new Frabills set up on display. I was impressed with some of the improvements/changes this year. Most of my friends (and me) own Frabill flipovers already, and love them.

I really liked the padded/insulated flipover. Now i just need a vehicle it would fit in.  :P

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I am fishing the new Predator this year.  I love it.  The larger poles, self lubricating system, and the heavier fabric are awesome.  the new seats are nice too.  Deep heavy rotomolded tub is the most durable out there.  The head room is awesome inside the tent.  Definately recommend one.

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:35 PM »
I'm going to get the Trekker DLX, but when I went to the local Gander Mountain they were sold out. :'(  They only had the Trekker 2 available.  I hope the Cicero, NY store is not sold out. 

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:59 AM »
the trekker 2 is the one I have it is nice for one person there is way more than enough room and you can easily fish 2 ppl in it as well with 4 holes...........it is kind of a pain with 4 holes as they are so close together but it does work.............

Offline PUNISHER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't even catch a cold while ice fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:48 AM »
nyiceman23 - Rochester Gander had a stack of the DLX's on the floor when I was in there on the 22nd.
                   If Cicero doesn't have them get them to call Rochester store for you.

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:57 PM »
i bought a new gt magnum is so great and simply set up  and awesome storage rod and things   pull so easy on mirror ice. it s worth.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:04 PM »
I baught a trekker last year and thaught it was nice, this year I baught a predator and love it. Its great, lots of room and well put together sets up and takes down real easy and nothing tries to drag on the ice when you pull it. M.G.

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Watertown, Cicero, and Utica NY are all sold out. :'(  I have been told that they may get more in, but they didn't give me a definative ansewer.  Will they ship an item from store to store?  I was wondering what Bass Pro Shop has in Auburn.  I may have to go with a clam :-\

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2009, 05:03 AM »
dont buy a clam you are just paying for the name when you do...........and also look at the differences between the 2..........the Frabill line is lighter weight than the Clam's............I was in the same dilemma............and yes they can ship items from one store to another............my mother just bought my step dad a new ice armor suit it was the X-series......they were sold out in fargo so she had to get one shipped from St. Cloud and they did it  without asking twice...........try and see what your local sports shop is willing to do for you.........you may just be surprised

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:15 PM »
I just got word that they will have 5 coming in on Tuesday.   :)  Hope to have it for next weekend.   Where can you find the predator in NY?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2009, 11:44 PM »
I sat in a couple shelters in Gander Mountain. I did not like the seats in the Clamp shelters. The nicer  Frabill seats were very comfy. I think some of the shelters have thin tent materials. The cheaper Frabills have nylon material. I opted for the HT Iceman Express a couple years ago. It has 500 dernier canvas and had the travel cover included. Frabill has the new shelters with thinsulate...but they are pricey...if I am correct.
jbird68

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2009, 06:58 AM »
Frabill has the new shelters with thinsulate...but they are pricey...if I am correct.

Pricey but very comfortable ;D  Had to go shopping for a new heater - figure the $ I save on heating fuel will pay for the new insulated shelter in, oh, maybe, 3 years.  ;D  The insulated fabric shelters are more than just warmer - they are a LOT quieter as well.  No wind flapping fabric to deafen you out on the ice.  Very very nice; and those seats - they are right up there, on a comfort level, with some of the best boat seats around.
I am very happy with my purchase.

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2009, 01:51 PM »
Got my Frabill trekker DLX yesterday. ;D  It said 1hr set up yeah right.  I took about 3 hrs and I'm no stranger to the wrench.   The problem was the lack of clear illustrations with the parts.   Oh well it was worth it.   The parts and the tent are good quality.    I can't wait to get her out saturday! :)

Offline Sturno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:00 AM »
My BIL just picked up the new Frabill Predator last week and we sat in it on Saturday. Poles are bigger and stronger, and material is much stronger than my Frabill from 3 years ago is. The windows are peel off's now and not sewn in anymore either. the GlideTrax system is a plus too. I gotta admit though, at 140+ pounds, you better be taking someone with you to get in the back of your truck.
"Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups."

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:15 PM »
I've seen them on the ice, and played with them this past weekend. They are awesome. Easy to drag, quick to set-up, quick to relocate. Seats are the most comfortable that I've sat in. He said he found it on sale for $400. Seemed like a heck of a deal to me.

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:24 PM »
I bought the predator this year and like it alot more then my 4 year old one. It's taller, the seats are comfy, windows are removable, way lighter, and better poles with spreaders bars for a tighter hut. The only draw back I've found is it's more of a snow plow then the old one. In 6+ inches of snow you better have a good 4wheeler to pull it around.
Here's a few pics

Plenty of room for two people and a dog
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:16 PM »
You didn't get the model with the "GlideTrax" sled?  Mine has it (an R2-TEC-3000)  insulated fabric and it is nice  ;D - tows like a dream.

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:39 PM »
nope I proly have to buy something else, good ole bass pro shop
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline smoke_eater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Just order it straight from Frabill. I did and I had it in under 7days and the price of shipping is not bad with the price of gas. The trekker dlx is awesome!!!!
Greatest quote ever "Whatcha going to do...fish your life away"...well hell yes!!!

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:46 PM »
What was the price of shipping from Frabill? I may try to order a commando later in the season. Thanks

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:00 PM »
I might try some of that non-caloric silicone based kitchen lubricant that Clark Griswold uses.  Seems to work pretty well.  They say its 500 times more slippery than cooking oil.

Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:24 PM »
I bought the Trekker II this winter and it has worked out great! It took me about an hour and a half to get it out of the box and all put together and ready to go. I think Brian "Bro" Brosdahl did an excellent job at designing these houses and making them more affordable than the competition!

Offline trekker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:33 PM »
I also bought a trekkerII DLX this year .love it.finally had to retire the old scout.poor thing had 100,000 miles on it.The only problem i see with the new frabil is that the fabric may wear prematurely from being pinched between the poles when you pack it up.also love how fast the seats go in&out. C-ya ,TREKKER                                                                                         

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.