Author Topic: Another portable question.  (Read 4856 times)

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
Another portable question.
« on: Dec 05, 2006, 10:45 PM »
I'm finally in the market for a 2 person flip style shanty. After searching for quite awhile I narrowed it down to 3 choices. The Polar escape mag., fish trap guide and the fribrill trekker. Im leaning toward the trekker as first choice (price and features), then polar, and finally the fish trap. What do you guys think? Which is better quality, easiest to put up, or anything else I should know. Thanks.

Offline frozenwill

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Another portable question.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2006, 01:01 AM »
i have a Eskimo 2-man flip up.  big enough for three, big area in front to ice fish.  comes with bench and sleigh (otter 2), witch everything folds into. carries majority of gear including ice auger.  tough fabric, flexible down to -43c (coldest i was out anyway) around four hundred Canadian

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:42 AM »
I also like the Eskimo better than the others  I got the QuikflipIII very roomy lots of headroom being I'm 6'6" it's great. Check out he ice shack section should find a lot of answers there also

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:46 AM »
the clam 6800 for me but its not a flip up
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:12 AM »
A friend of mine has the clam you're talking about.  It's very well made, easy to set up, and comfortable.  The quality is above the ohters IMHO.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:39 AM »
I,m not familiar with the Trekker, but I have a Frabill XL Twin and it has been great for my son and I. Nice seats and lots of room for two. Sometimes we fish three out of it, but it is a bit crowded with three.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:24 AM »
I started with the eskimo II a few years ago and now am in  a Clam Voyager.  The features on the clam are awesome.  I see that all sled makes are always making improvemenst but the Clam is the one I went with and I absolutely LOVE IT.  The fabric on the clam is way better than my old eskimo.  But I liked the Eskimo all cuz when i had nuthin else it worked just fine for me.  Caught a lot of fish out of it.  with out the spreader bar supports like the clam has i had to make sure that I tied the back of the sled down to my ancors or when i stood up and the wind was blowing the back would tip over and i put a few burn holes in the fabric from my lanterns.  Ive been out in -15 below F with the Eskimo and took cloths off after i fired up the heaters.  The Eskimo had no seats so i took some fold up lawn chairs.  Not dissin the Eskimo cuz it worked just fine and i still have it.  Just feel like im in the Cadillac when I take the Clam out

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:29 AM »
I to made a recent purchase and whent with the clam guide, the quality is second to none and I find it strange that it would be last on your list.

I own a frabil 1 man and a Shappell 2 man, and the clam is above and beyond when it comes to quality, the price is more and that's why it took me  alittle longer to get one, but you will not regret the guide

I have never seen an Eskimo shanty as no shops in my area carry them, including BPS. I know they have a great rep as well.

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:38 AM »
I just found the iceshack area at the bottom of the forums. After reading alot, its down to the fish trap guide or the trekker. I'll have to get over to Gander and see if they have the guide so I can actually see both and compare.

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:46 AM »
I just found the iceshack area at the bottom of the forums. After reading alot, its down to the fish trap guide or the trekker. I'll have to get over to Gander and see if they have the guide so I can actually see both and compare.
Check with Gander and find out if they have any of last year's models that went unsold.  You might be able to get a great deal on one!  ;)

Offline BUSSWAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I WOULD RATHER WINTER UP NORTH!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Fish Trap Guide here. Not a single complaint. Carries all my gear (unless were cooking lunch, then my daughter pulls the extra sled.) Plenty of room and comfortable. I love the pockets on the side for holding gloves and hat and such without them getting wet. This is my first shelter. I used to sit on a bucket with the rest of the bucket brigade and never had any complaint really. But now I dont know how I went so long without a shelter.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2006, 12:37 PM »
Something I forgot to mention is you really need to sit in them all befor you decide, it sounds funny but they all sit differnt, look in front of you and behind, is there room for your gear up from while fishing...heater, vex, camera? is there storgae room behind?

comfort is key as well.

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Well I picked up the Trekker. They didnt carry the guide, but had the youkon. I did like the seats in the youkon better, but liked the trekker, better overall. Basically they were the same, except the windows are removable (replacable) on the frabill and it was $200 cheaper. It did come with 4 extra poles and I cant figure out where they go. Any ideas, the directions dosent mention them.

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Im also a Fish Trap Guide angler and like it a lot, great for portability.  Only complaints: height restriction (It maxes at about 5'6" and my bro is 6'4" and Im 6'2") and the 2004 model was a "U" style door, not the new "D" style door.  Get the "D" style door.  Best of luck, whatever you buy!
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Well I picked up the Trekker. They didnt carry the guide, but had the youkon. I did like the seats in the youkon better, but liked the trekker, better overall. Basically they were the same, except the windows are removable (replacable) on the frabill and it was $200 cheaper. It did come with 4 extra poles and I cant figure out where they go. Any ideas, the directions dosent mention them.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:46 PM »
The long one goes from the cross tube under the door to the one above the door. The other three go from there  all the way to the back. They work well to keep the fabric tight when it is windy.

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:11 PM »
Ice dawg, thanks, I was getting close but that helped. I think Im going to like this thing as its my first shanty. I imagine it better than the old bucket on those cold days. njsimonson, I would have liked to get a bigger one, but between price and avaible room in the Cherokee, my choices were limited. This one isnt too bad for me as I'm 5'10.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:44 PM »
Way to go red,   Im sure youll enjoy your trekker alot.  It sure is nice to get inside out of the wind. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ice Dawg    thats on nice lookin pooch you got there.  My Otis passed on to that great hunting grounds in the sky this last summer and I sure miss him :'( :'(

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2006, 09:28 PM »
I believe the extra poles are the ones you attach to hold the shack up in the upright/wind block position.  They kind of snap together to the bars that the tarp is connected to.  I bought the frabill prowler, and it comes with the extra poles. 

Big W
Big W

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2006, 02:32 AM »
 I just purchased a Frabill Prowler GT n Tuesday to find out I'm missing the ropes, brackets the poles mount on and all my hardware (all come in same box)  :'(. called Frabill that day (Tues.) and they said Spee- Dee was picking up orders in 10 mins. And didn't think they'd get the order out that day. Well today (wed.) I found the box on my doorstep, holy schnikes!  :o  I love the seats and the set up of this shack ( from the ones I've sat in at least) lol. Tight lines and happy holidays y'all!
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2006, 07:16 AM »
I've just set up my Fish Trap Voyager and I have lots of head room when I stand up. I'm 6'2" I checked out the Frabil and Eskimo but settled on the Fish Trap. Only problem now is I have to tear down my single garage build a double garage to store it.  ;D ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:47 AM »
hardh2ofish, She is my son's dog, but she lives with my wife and I. Pretty convenient for him. He comes and gets her for hunting and when they're done he just drops her off again.  ::) :D

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:52 AM »
I would have liked to get a bigger one, but between price and avaible room in the Cherokee, my choices were limited.
Cherokee sport? Have you tried sliding it in the Jeep?

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:21 PM »
Go up to Gander or some similiar store and try them out and see what fits you best. I like the  Fishtrap Guide.The one before was a Scout which I liked but I perfer the extra space.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:39 PM »
Its a 92 Cherokee, not the grand. With the shanty assembled it fits but only with a good push on the tailgate. 2" longer and things would get real interesting. If you test fit one in your vehicle make sure its assembled as when I was measuring things out I didn't figure for the tubes on the ends and the tent hanging out. Hopefully I can get out sunday and try this thing out, looks good in the living room but I'll see how it does on the ice.

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:32 AM »
njsimonson, I would have liked to get a bigger one, but between price and avaible room in the Cherokee, my choices were limited. This one isnt too bad for me as I'm 5'10.

Cool man, have some good fishin this season!  I think flip-overs are the best.  They beat "set-up" houses and are very mobile on the ice.  Just flip it back down, drag it over to a new spot, flip-it back up.  You'll enjoy it!  And a two-man setup, when you are fishing alone, is plenty big!
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.