Author Topic: coroplast shack and Menards storage shed  (Read 118220 times)

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: coroplast shack
« Reply #180 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:00 PM »
That looks great man, can't wait to see it finished.

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Sweet ski set up!

Do you have a pin or something holding the support legs together when the frame is up? A pic of that would be great.

Moonman.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Yes, there is a pin and clip about 4" below the pivot point.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:58 PM »
House is constructed.  Need to finish the interior.  Holds up well so far in 35mph winds. 

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Rope for now.  You can see that I made it to add a 1" aluminum tow bar.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:02 PM »

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:03 PM »

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:06 PM »
2 anchor points. In each corner by the holes.  I will use 8" lag screws.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Sweet dude that looks awesome. How does it pull? I find everything to pull better with a rigid hitch.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:06 PM »
It pulls very easy.  Going to weigh it hopefully this weekend.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:11 PM »
I am impressed! Very nice!

Keep the pics and reports coming!

MD

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Very cool looking shack!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #192 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Wait, so you have 8" lag screws that go into the ice through the floor?

If that is your idea, it is a good one! I will definitely be using that one in my next spear house!

Go Beavers!

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Yes.  8" lag screws through the floor.  I have inserts glued into the floor to protect damage from the lag screws.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:40 PM »
I anchor my shappel portable in the same way, I have a small hole drilled in 2 places and I drive some hand ice screws right through the floor. It will hold as much wind as the shack itself is capable of.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:53 PM »
LED light strip. 

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:55 PM »
LED lights controlled by dimmer.  It gets nice and bright but yet dims nice for the walleye fishing! ;)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:32 PM »
What is the siding of that plastic shack like?  Is it rigid or flexible?
How strong is it? How well does it handle the cold temps?
Is it truly coroplast (looks like plastic cardboard) or is it some other type of plastic?
How much does the shelter weigh?

MD

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:09 PM »
Just found this thread , great looking shack , always looking for ideas for a light weight shack .I normally build what seems to be called a Ontario shack using three sheets of plywood and a tarp .But I found that a 4x8 was just to small , build a few 6x8's that I could load by myself , over hung a bit in the truck box , but strapped down it was doable .But when the snow cover was gone it was a royal pain to load ! Have built some that fit into the box of my old S15 , fit right over the fenders ,seating , but again to heavy when alone .I have been thinking of how to make a "Ontario" shack that was truly portable ,in other words fit in between the fenders of my now full size truck , yet allow for proper space for two.....or three ? So I have come up with a split 8x8 Ontario shack ! Two pieces that go together , one door , six holes , takes about five minutes for two to set up , and now it takes that long for just me to do it .I can load them both up by myself ( 55 years old , not feeling it though ....lol.) and I double tarped it , one light blue cheap tarp and one black heavy duty tarp .I actually had enough light with the blue tarp to see fine in the shack , when I put the black tarp on .......zero light , total darkness ! So now there is a small window in the door . I actually used aspinite for the floor as well as the two outer walls ( ends ) , rough side up on the floor ....will be adding sand to the oil paint when I paint the floor , oil for the bottom as well  .Have to paint everything yet and add the strips to cover and hold the tarp material on better , just stapled right now . But it's fantastic ! 8 feet square , easy to move around without fear of bumping anyone . Cost about $120 , ............good enough for me
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Just found this thread , great looking shack , always looking for ideas for a light weight shack .I normally build what seems to be called a Ontario shack using three sheets of plywood and a tarp .But I found that a 4x8 was just to small , build a few 6x8's that I could load by myself , over hung a bit in the truck box , but strapped down it was doable .But when the snow cover was gone it was a royal pain to load ! Have built some that fit into the box of my old S15 , fit right over the fenders ,seating , but again to heavy when alone .I have been thinking of how to make a "Ontario" shack that was truly portable ,in other words fit in between the fenders of my now full size truck , yet allow for proper space for two.....or three ? So I have come up with a split 8x8 Ontario shack ! Two pieces that go together , one door , six holes , takes about five minutes for two to set up , and now it takes that long for just me to do it .I can load them both up by myself ( 55 years old , not feeling it though ....lol.) and I double tarped it , one light blue cheap tarp and one black heavy duty tarp .I actually had enough light with the blue tarp to see fine in the shack , when I put the black tarp on .......zero light , total darkness ! So now there is a small window in the door . I actually used aspinite for the floor as well as the two outer walls ( ends ) , rough side up on the floor ....will be adding sand to the oil paint when I paint the floor , oil for the bottom as well  .Have to paint everything yet and add the strips to cover and hold the tarp material on better , just stapled right now . But it's fantastic ! 8 feet square , easy to move around without fear of bumping anyone . Cost about $120 , ............good enough for me

Sounds great,  i'm sure everyone would like to see some pics. I've made a few of these with some mods, to fit in car. Some with no floors, and just finished a small really lightweight version for me and my son ( descrbed a bit in my thread "new hut build howmdark is too dark"). Anyway, still have to post pics, maybe this week.

But to end the thread drift, I think Bobberdown has done an awesome job on his build, looking forward to hearing how it performs on the ice.

Moonman

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Mar 26, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Sorry guys for being away for awhile.  All testing will have to wait until next year.  Things I have to do yet: build bench seating, shelf, and hitch.

What is the siding of that plastic shack like?  Is it rigid or flexible?  Very rigid, .75" thick corogated plastic.How strong is it? How well does it handle the cold temps? I havnt had it on the ice yet, but I live out in the country and it has handled 30-40mph winds.  anchored into the ground with 8" lag screws (ground was frozen)
Is it truly coroplast (looks like plastic cardboard) or is it some other type of plastic?Its 3/4" corogated plastic.  plastic-air gap-plastic with internal channels
How much does the shelter weigh?  i havnt weighed it yet but light, i can drag it up on the trailer by myself.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Mar 26, 2015, 05:46 PM »
very nice well thought out

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #202 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Sorry guys for being away for awhile.  All testing will have to wait until next year.  Things I have to do yet: build bench seating, shelf, and hitch.

What is the siding of that plastic shack like?  Is it rigid or flexible?  Very rigid, .75" thick corogated plastic.How strong is it? How well does it handle the cold temps? I havnt had it on the ice yet, but I live out in the country and it has handled 30-40mph winds.  anchored into the ground with 8" lag screws (ground was frozen)
Is it truly coroplast (looks like plastic cardboard) or is it some other type of plastic?Its 3/4" corogated plastic.  plastic-air gap-plastic with internal channels
How much does the shelter weigh?  i havnt weighed it yet but light, i can drag it up on the trailer by myself.
Where did you buy 3/4 " corrugated plastic sheets ?
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:28 AM »
Its a storage shed from Menards.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: coroplast shack and Menards storage shed
« Reply #204 on: Aug 06, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I really like the way the skis flip out and the shelter sits on the ice!

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Nov 03, 2015, 08:52 PM »
BobberdownLP,

Is that the 4ft by 6ft model? How much do you think the final weight is if you had to guess? I'm looking to maybe buy one for a spearing shack.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Nov 03, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Another question... If you blocked out the window would it be very dark inside? Or does the sun shine through the siding/door cracks/ etc?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #207 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Can you re post pictures?

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #208 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:49 AM »
How is the original coroplast shack holding up after a few years in the elements/UV?

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:35 PM »
Anyone have pics/plans from this thread?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.