Author Topic: who is looking at new portable this year?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Viking Rogue

• IceShanty Rookie
who is looking at new portable this year?
« on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:38 PM »
for those of us who are buying a new portable shanty this year, what models are y'all leaning toward??  those new fish trap Xs look sweet, but i think the weight is too much.  last year ice was not great around the metro last year and did a lot of dragging as opposed to driving out.

does anyone handle a 120lb. unit by themselves (eg. loading into back of F-150 4x4 and pulling on to lake when ice too thin to drive)??  managable?

i can get a fish trap guide for right now for $350.  it goes 82 pounds.

how do you think the fish traps match up with the frabills?  i guess these are the 2 i am most considering.  looking for a 1+/2 man that is really for me and my stuff with a little room to spare.

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: who is looking at new portable this year?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2006, 07:29 AM »
I have a fish trap guide now and it is a bit of a pain to get into a truck by yourself.  I usually fish by myself  :'( so i took the extra seat out.  That saved a few pounds.  Usually i unload most of the sled, lift the front of the sled up onto the tailgate, then lift the back end and power it up into truck.  The hard part is not filling the sled up with so much junk that it is heavy.

I was looking into getting the pro this year to make it lighter but I will have to wait to see some prices.

If you are going to be fishing with someone else i would say the guide would be an excellent choice.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Frabill is making a lighter weight two person flipover this year that weighs in at 74 lbs. It is one of two Trekker models and runs about 330 bucks. It looks to be just a bit smaller than their XLT and I think seats are optional. I bought an XLT last year and it has been great for my son and I. I would think it would be one to look at. Frabills other models got heavier this year. I think this is due to a heavier and sturdier tub. I think Frabill has a twist lock system for extending the tent frame instead of the tubing with the holes. I think that would be really easy to work with.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2006, 09:22 AM »
Im a portable buying machine.....2 years back I bought a 2 man shappell, but since I fished solo so much last year I decided to buy a Frabil 1 man, this year Im looking around for another 1 man, or possible go big and get a 4 man so I can get a group togther more often

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2006, 09:47 AM »
I have an Otter Den 1-Man and just put together a Fish Trap Pro for my dad. Both are pretty light (Around 55-60lbs.) and I can move them around by myself. However it goes easier having someone to help you load and unload. I lean towards my Otter Den because the sled is deep and can float on the open shores we get here in PA to get on the ice. The Fish Trap scout is also a good litweight choice and you can usually pick one up for $200.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2006, 10:23 AM »
  I bought a Frabill Ice Cruiser 200 last year. I had a Dodge Dakota and could load and unload very easily. I'd put the nose on the tailgate and just lift the back slide, or if there's 2 guys it's almost too easy. It fit me and one of my buddies, I'm approx. 6'3" and 240-250 and he's about 5'10" and 260. Both about 2 feet across the shoulders. Had plenty of room and plenty of room for about 5-6 rods 2 fish finders, a couple five gallon buckets and heater  :-\. I bought a Paulin heater (like Mr.Heater) and it's almost too much, I fished in a t-shirt when I fished in there, even one day in -45 degree windchill ;D. This year I have a Jacked up Dodge Ram with large tires to boot, I'll post back lettin y'all know how it goes loading up the shack this year.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2006, 10:31 AM »
I bought an Eskimo quick flip II.  My kid will be ice fishing for his first year, so I really wanted the bench seat so he can cuddle up a little if he starts getting cold or we can get 3 people in there when the wife wants to go, plus after seeing what my buddies little guy did to his house with the heater, I figured less expensive would be the way to go for a while.

Offline swenscas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Just got my shappell s3000 home, it was a steal I got the portable and a Mr.Heater for $110.00

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2006, 07:16 PM »
      swencas,
Did you buy both brand new??? I bought a S-3000 last Feb and love it. Nice and roomy. 2 trap doors for fishing too. Very easy to pull and 2 places to put your 5 gal buckets..........Enjoy iy.
      Kim  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline swenscas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2006, 08:09 PM »
      swencas,
Did you buy both brand new??? I bought a S-3000 last Feb and love it. Nice and roomy. 2 trap doors for fishing too. Very easy to pull and 2 places to put your 5 gal buckets..........Enjoy iy.
      Kim  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2

No they were both used twice last year by a man from town here, but the poor guy had back surgery and now is unable to put it up. Kinda felt bad only paying him that much but the guy was so pumped up that someone was interested in buying his stuff and able to get some use out of it.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:17 PM »
I just got a Clam 5600 used for $175. It is the last model before the new one, absolutely perfect, no holes zippers work good. I actually like the door design better on the older ones-that half-circle on the new ones. Last thing I wanna do is trip over that 2 foot piece from bottom of door down. Zipper on mine goes straight down to ground.

Offline swenscas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2006, 10:52 AM »
I just got a Clam 5600 used for $175. It is the last model before the new one, absolutely perfect, no holes zippers work good. I actually like the door design better on the older ones-that half-circle on the new ones. Last thing I wanna do is trip over that 2 foot piece from bottom of door down. Zipper on mine goes straight down to ground.

Sounds pretty sweet man, and for that price you cant go wrong.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2006, 06:08 PM »
I just picked up my new Eskimo Grand Caravan, (It's Frigg'n huge!!!) I got the "big boy" to be able to hold me, my buddy, my 2 1/2yr old and sometimes my dog. The shack weighs about 140lb. plus gear. I built a hitch platform so that I don't have to lift it into the truck bed. I also got the runner kit so I hope that helps. I figure I'm young enough that the exercises will do me good. I've set the shack up in the garage and the space is well worth the extra weight!!!

P.S. Still no ice yet in Chippewa Falls WI. (might go on a trip up north to search out some hard water.)

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2006, 06:57 PM »
I'm looking at trying one of those Shack Pak's, I don't have to worry about wind to much and $100 works for me.  At least worth giving a whirl anyhow.

Offline Redbeard1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Getting a Shappell 4000dx- on the wife's orders, she didn't think the flip over would keep me warm enough.  Oh well, if she insists! 
PATRICK

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2006, 08:42 PM »
started with a Shappell 2000 which was fine except a pain to drag gear on.
SO i got a Clam Yukon last year  and i could get it in the back of my truck just fine (3 ft high bed) but it was a real pain to drag around at about 110 empty. so this year at some point i am getting a Clam Pro which is something like 80lbs and is mainly a 1 man shanty but I have fished with 2 guys in them before. Also the frabills are nice but i believe they weight alot.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

camo_fish

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2006, 08:35 AM »
I'm looking at trying one of those Shack Pak's, I don't have to worry about wind to much and $100 works for me.  At least worth giving a whirl anyhow.
Going to get one next week, the price is totally right.  ;) And I just won't use it on a super windy day.  ;D It does look to be the easiest, quickest, lightest, cheapest way to go.
I've got a 2-3 man shappell, but I use it only 2-5 times a year, only on those long days where we set tip ups and just hang out. A great shanty to hang out in, but not so great if your on the move.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Going with a Clam 6800 and unloading the Frabill Cub.  I need more room to spread out in!  The Frabill product is so so....  Leaks a lot in the rain and does not seal that great against the wind.  Not so worried about the weight as I haul everything with a quad.  More concerned about the creature comforts of home so the bigger the better.  Would love the Calm Sleeper but that's getting a bit carried away!

Mike

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2006, 09:47 AM »
im awaiting specs on the new HT polar solar, it looks like a flip over design, but cabelas doesnt have ANY specs on it whatsoever, so i got an email into hitech for the specs......at 200, for a 2 person flip over, as long as it isnt really short headroom or extremely heavy thats what im looking at. I generally fish alone, but wanted the 2 man in case the wife or kids decide they need start going......anyone seen this or have any info? i would love to know more.....viking is made 25 miles from me, but i havent heard good reviews on them......

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2006, 10:14 AM »

I just bought one, they looked rather flimsy when I watched the video but when I sat in one at Gander Mt. it seemed fairly sturdy and well made. Figured it would be just the ticket for some of the potholes I walk into and short morning trips to local lakes. No breaking my back getting my old style trap (13 yrs old) in and out of the truck and pullin' it through fresh snow. At least as much room as my trap and dark enough for shallow water sight fishing. Not sure how it will work in high winds though. But I have my Trap and DX 4000 for those days. Oh, yeah it's got a ambi-dextourous beverage holders.  ;) ::) :D :D

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Biggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:27 PM »
I just bought a fish trap scout through bass pro shop for 200$ with tax. I can't wait till i get it, i usually go by myself so a one man flip over was the way to go for me. Oh by the way I'm new around here HELLO ALL

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I set mine up, the used Clam 5600 I got for $175. I got a steal, this is the second time I have set it up, and have yet to find a hole in it:

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2006, 12:37 PM »
i have a clam 6800 , like the room hate the portability of it. going after a smaller flip shack when i get the go ahead from the boss!

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2006, 07:51 PM »
Picked up a new Clam 2000 at Gander Mountain as this years Christmas gift from the missus.  Usually I just sit on a 5 gallon bucket out in the open, but my 3 yo son is my new fishing buddy and needed something to block the wind for him.   :D

I'm going to have to practice a few times in the yard before the water gets hard enough.  Should be a laugh for others the first time I take it out on the ice.

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig it like you mean it
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:25 PM »
Just purchased my Fish Trap Voyager. Updgraded from a Frabil Speed Shack XL. Definately worth the price. Putting it together was kind of a pain in the rear, worse part being the plastic threading on the back lip to tighten down the canvas. Been better if I had a hand, but can't get much help at midnight. All in all, I wouldn't buy anything else. It's really not as heavy as I thought, comfortable, warm, dark. I may live in it if the ice stays around this year.

TightLines,
GatorBait

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:33 PM »
Yup I upgraded my portable this year.  I had a fish trap scout for the last 4 years.  i sold that to a fellow ice shanty member and i bought a brand new Fish Trap Pro.  Man I can't wait to use it.  So much more room than the scout.  Now I will bea ble to use my aqua view and vexilar with out haveing in space problems.  Man i can't wait for this freakin ice to start forming!!
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline X-Rap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2006, 04:25 PM »
I bought a Frabil Prowler. So far I've used it twice and its working out fine. The weight is more than I care for especially pulling it by hand. If I could make changes I would say use more aluminum and plastic and leave the bottom flat. The seats are real comfortable but are heavy as hell. I use atv ramps to get it in and out of my truck when I'm alone. The otter type seats that have you sitting more over the center of the sled would give more room on the ice for more holes. I live in colorado rocky mtns. so our lakes often have steep sides being reservoirs and some dont have good access plowed in making it rough to hand pull. I'll be looking for a recon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.