Author Topic: Ice Shanty Plans  (Read 333080 times)

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Shanty Plans
« Reply #120 on: Oct 16, 2012, 04:41 AM »
I built this hut just after christmas. 1/2" plywood floor and end walls.Bought a tarp for the sides and top. Got old skies that are on 12" high runners that are hinged so when pulling the hut its 12" off the ice. when we are ready to set up they fold up and off to the side. Made it to fit my truck bed so tailgate can shut. Its heavy, needs 2 people to unload and load. but pulls not bad by hand. Awesome for me & the kid. (Image removed from quote.)

How does this style hold up in wind?  I'm looking at building one like this but being able to have it somewhat quiet in the wind and not having the side cave in on me either

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #121 on: Oct 17, 2012, 08:20 PM »
It worked out great. I have 1 bar that holds the 2 ends apart thus making the sides taunt. Warm, easy to heat. I made a small fold up shelf for the back wall. ONLY draw back is the weight. 2 people can handle it with no problem but buy your self- forget it. I stacked on top of it when folded up everything you can think of and had no problems all on a Smitty sled base. Honesty it held up better than my clam flip over

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Oct 17, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Yeah im plannin on building one like this and put it on some kind of sled so I can pull it around easily

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:19 AM »
I just finished my shack, it is 8x24 with 5 holes. It is solar powered and is hauled with a scissor trailer, The nice thing is if it breaks through the ice i can come back in the spring and get it lol  Here is a couple of picture

[IMG]

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #124 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Campingonh2o, that is an AMAZING shanty to say the least.  It looks better than some hotel rooms I've stayed in.  I bet you could make a lot of money making them and selling them and the plans.CONGRATULATIONS on a GREAT shanty.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #125 on: Oct 30, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Campingonh2o, that is an AMAZING shanty to say the least.  It looks better than some hotel rooms I've stayed in.  I bet you could make a lot of money making them and selling them and the plans.CONGRATULATIONS on a GREAT shanty.

x2! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #126 on: Oct 30, 2012, 12:56 PM »
campingonh2o, I'd spend time in that shanty even if I wasn't ice fishing! Nice!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Nov 14, 2012, 03:00 PM »
New Ice Shanty Plans web site.  http://www.shantypods.com

The link did not work.  Does anyone have a picture or built one. ? Is it just s Ontario hut?
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #128 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Nice set up.................... ..looks comfortable too.

Offline fishing_yooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Nov 26, 2012, 04:54 AM »
Any idea what it weighs? The idea of using a pontoon is GREAT!!

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:41 AM »
I have not weighed it but just the pontoon no motor should have been close to 1400lb acording to my research.

I tried to keep weight down but actually was not terrible worried about it. I figured if it has no motor it saves #300 and i removed motor mount to save another #100. So the 1/4 luan interior weights a little less then the motor did  (and is now spread out over boat) and the windows weight about the same as the motor mount. That leaves the wood structure and roof panels. My main goal was will it float  and float level. Not that i will use it as a "houseboat" but  "if" it does break through i do not want to have to recover it from the bottom.  I move this with a single axle older pontoon trailer with a hand crank. It handles it very well now granted i do not intend on taking on the highway as it is 10ft from the water at my pond. I would feel comfortable hauling  this on the highway if i had a good dual axel trailer.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Aug 12, 2013, 05:19 AM »
very nice going

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #132 on: Nov 19, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I live in a camp trailer, it sort of looks a lot like my livingroom.     Nice job!
Thread killer

Offline fishnchics

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go Bucks
« Reply #133 on: Jan 24, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Here she is. Got sick of fishing in the cold. First ever ice shanty I've ever built. Its a tip over onto junk skis i had laying around.  4 1/2 × 6 1/2. Why does it always end up heavier than you planned?  ??http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/Themes/IceShanty2011/images/bbc/img.gif
Go buckeyes

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Here she is. Got sick of fishing in the cold. First ever ice shanty I've ever built. Its a tip over onto junk skis i had laying around.  4 1/2 × 6 1/2. Why does it always end up heavier than you planned?  ??http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/Themes/IceShanty2011/images/bbc/img.gif

No photo

Go ducks

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:08 AM »
I looked through all those links, pretty cool.

How many people do you think bought that first issue listed there and actually built a 24 ft. houseboat from the plans listed in there?

Offline Bob E

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Maybe 2
 ;D

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Sep 29, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Update:  Picture of my "Shanty" during a flood last spring.Had to add some lines to it so it didn't float off.  Kinda nice to not have to worry about water damage. Wife and I fished out of it in the flood was great during the rain storms. Has worked great for me, in the summer its a great cabin and the winter great place to watch the game and the tip ups!

Offline Bob E

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #140 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:24 PM »
That guy in the pic is using a Ronco Pocket Fisherman which has not been made in over 30 years.  I discount that whole publication based on that one photograph unless there is compelling reason not to. Those guys are just pandering fools - both "to" and "are" types.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:39 PM »
I probably have that issue of Mother Earth news in a tote in my basement.  Note the publication date was 1986, about the right for the pocket fisherman and the fishin magician.  Built a wood burning stove and metal brake from their plans, cool down to earth stuff.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #142 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:29 AM »
I just sold my collection of Mother Earth News last month. It was a great magazine in that era. It got so like so many magazines it was more adds than articles.

I think it was Rapalla that put out a rod similar to the one in the photo. I think that my son has the one I had.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #143 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:42 PM »

Offline ticklenaked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Jan 16, 2018, 03:26 PM »
We built this baby last year. She's a little top heavy ('cause who puts a standing seam roof on a shack?) But she stays at the one lake and gets pushed on and off to our camp in between uses (if its 60mph winds, rain and warming). Not bad for my first shanty build, if I do say so myself :)

Hope this helps give you ideas, though I wouldn't make that back so high. maybe take it down a foot if you're going to build something similar.

YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/2nDnN2

Instagram: https://goo.gl/X1P3F3

Offline Fishermanmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Trying to keep holes open overnight. Has anyone heard about putting a 12 volt light bulb in an openended
pickle bucket with an insulated lid? Do they make something that goes into the hole and prevents freezing
other than anti-freeze.

Lakco makes a "ripple puck"
Hook em
      &
Cook em

Offline Walleyeripper70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Dec 09, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Does anyone have plans they used for a good permanent ice shack, or know where I can find them? Just moved to NW Wisconsin and looking to start a new adventure.

Offline 426wrench

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Over 20 years ago I had come across some plans to build a similar ice shack as this and I built one and loved it. Now it is all rotten and has fallen apart so I built this one from memory. Does anybody remember seeing these plans or a similar shack. I think it was " Popular mechanics" or something like that.

Offline waterfowl_warrior09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:21 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=118125.0

I think this guy built a pretty sweet one designed like what you're talking about

Offline 426wrench

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:45 PM »
That is nice but not what I am looking for

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.