Author Topic: Ice Shanty Plans  (Read 333056 times)

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty Plans
« Reply #90 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:05 AM »
My plans for an 8'x8' hut with a 6'-8' roof that folds down to 4x8'x7.5'' sections for easy storage and transport.

-All plans are in a PDF format
-All angles to cut on the wood are 14deg
-Uses 36-2x4x8' 10- 4x8'x1/4'' OSB/Plywood  2- 4x8'x7/16'' OSB/Plywood 12- Hinges  28- 4'' cariage bolts  24- 4'1/2'' cariage bolts and x amount of screws
-The package includes DETAILED dimensions of the pieces and dimensions of the peices in the assembly
-Also I'm including an excel spreadsheet that has all of the parts needed, and how to cut the parts as to make most efficient use of the wood
-Total cost of parts is roughly about $150 here in Canada.

COST OF PLANS: FREE!
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b674356b9fe71d086b21be4093fab7ac8d34602edb3b4a33a2d0568e5b24962e

cool!  any idea what the finished product weighs?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #91 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:13 AM »
great plans   but it cant find the floor   thankyou for sharing the plans with the community  it is a rare find !  a credit to yourself and your skills
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Always thought this might make a good one. Though have'nt had the time to try.

http://www.butlerprojects.com/other/truckcamper/index.htm

Looks heavy

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #93 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:03 PM »
Looks heavy

I thought so too
What does it weigh in at?
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #94 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:38 AM »
I built this hut just after christmas. 1/2" plywood floor and end walls.Bought a tarp for the sides and top. Got old skies that are on 12" high runners that are hinged so when pulling the hut its 12" off the ice. when we are ready to set up they fold up and off to the side. Made it to fit my truck bed so tailgate can shut. Its heavy, needs 2 people to unload and load. but pulls not bad by hand. Awesome for me & the kid.

Offline EMCS retired

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Feb 28, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Here's some pics of a shelter that I just made. 
1/2 inch electrical conduit - $10
Poly tarp - $16
a few hours spent working with my son - PRICELESS!!

Offline Buda1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Mar 18, 2010, 09:16 AM »
I built this hut just after christmas. 1/2" plywood floor and end walls.Bought a tarp for the sides and top. Got old skies that are on 12" high runners that are hinged so when pulling the hut its 12" off the ice. when we are ready to set up they fold up and off to the side. Made it to fit my truck bed so tailgate can shut. Its heavy, needs 2 people to unload and load. but pulls not bad by hand. Awesome for me & the kid. (Image removed from quote.)
what did you use for tarp material?

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:56 PM »
what did you use for tarp material?
Got a tarp from home depot. silver was see through-blue was cheep- brown seem to be not bad so we went with that. Cost more but I think it was worth it. Worked well all season.With the end walls wood I was able to make 2 shelves that fold up when it folds down. Spot to hang a 4 pole rod holder. Put the aqua-vu on 1 shelf and spikes,(bait) mt. dew etc. on the other. Needs a stereo tho! Measure your truck and - at least 1" so it slides in and out easy. Hope this helps.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Ice Shanty Plans
« Reply #98 on: Sep 23, 2010, 07:47 AM »
I recommend  the fishontario site. I built one using their plans and with a few changes it is a palace on the ice. A little heavy but does the job. cost was around $100.00.

Yeah I bought the plans.  I bought the lumber and hardware, then found a great used portable in great shape.  I used up the lumber else where, and sooner or later will used up the hardware and stuff.  It may have cost around $100 bucks when the plans were first made, BUT prices have gone up since then.  It does seem like a nice roomy shack.  A bit heavy, that is only a problem getting it to, and from the lake.  If you pull it around with a ATV, snowmobile, car/truck, even by hand unless there is a lot of snow, it shouldn't be that bad.

That ATV one built by "EMCS retired " excites me too!  I just might take a shot at that.

Offline Chevy_94

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see this year round"
« Reply #99 on: Oct 05, 2010, 12:23 PM »
I built this hut just after christmas. 1/2" plywood floor and end walls.Bought a tarp for the sides and top. Got old skies that are on 12" high runners that are hinged so when pulling the hut its 12" off the ice. when we are ready to set up they fold up and off to the side. Made it to fit my truck bed so tailgate can shut. Its heavy, needs 2 people to unload and load. but pulls not bad by hand. Awesome for me & the kid. (Image removed from quote.)

I built one like this back in high school. 4' x 8' 6.5' tall. I used a black heavy duty plastic tarp helps heat it up when the suns out. The only thing is that i just have 2 x 4 runners and they dont pull very nice thru 12" of snow. I like the fold out skis idea! :tipup: Two years ago i made a rigid hitch that mounts to the front (using scraps from the wheelhouse) so I can pull with the wheeler. I've been using it every year for the last 15 years. Only had to replace the floor once, the original OSB floor only lasted about 5 years. I agree it does get very heavy! My back isn't getting any younger. :o so this year i'm looking into getting my own cube style for a portable. At least until it's thick enough for the wheelhouse. ;D

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Oct 22, 2010, 01:18 AM »
Chevy 94 , I picked up a used 1 man clam so it will make it a lot nicer when I go myself. For some reason skis make a completely different beast when it comes to pulling the hut. I pull by hand so after the skis were put on  it pulled so much better we were able to go a lot farther out. Screw a pair to your 2x4 runners and see it it helps. As for the clam- I put skis on it also  ;)

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Oct 22, 2010, 07:42 AM »
I used a Clam Jr. for years, still have it.  It's a little small for a fat guy, but did the job again last year.  I got the Shapell Minuteman used, and in excellent condition for $50 ;D ;D ;D  Looking forward to going at it this year.  Anything that gets you out of the wind, keeps you warm, is a good one.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:09 AM »
I am starting to build one this weekend.  I am using a raised aluminum pick up truck cap.  i beleive it measures 5ft 10" wide by 6ft 10" long.  has windows all around.  i am going to use bed frame rails and weld up frame and 2 x 3 to build frame for walls and skin in light metal siding.  i have 4 old snowmobile skis to mount so i can pull with my atv or sled to go fishing.  I have a killzone pop out shanty now and its great but it takes to long to set up and get all set up.  with this i can go out and if i want to move i just start up my sled and move.  cant wait for ice.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:27 AM »
I am starting to build one this weekend.  I am using a raised aluminum pick up truck cap.  i beleive it measures 5ft 10" wide by 6ft 10" long.  has windows all around.  i am going to use bed frame rails and weld up frame and 2 x 3 to build frame for walls and skin in light metal siding.  i have 4 old snowmobile skis to mount so i can pull with my atv or sled to go fishing.  I have a killzone pop out shanty now and its great but it takes to long to set up and get all set up.  with this i can go out and if i want to move i just start up my sled and move.  cant wait for ice.

May I suggest for a real light skin metal you check out your local News Paper.  They use light weight aluminum sheets to print the paper.  You can pick up the used stuff really cheap.  I helped a friend build one out of this stuff.  We lined it with two inch foam sheet insulation.  It was the fore-runner of todays portable.  We put it out, and the next day we had to run around the lake to find it.  It was so light that even with a heavy duty wood floor, it needed to be anchored. ;D  Oh yeah we framed it with 2x2's and stapled our "siding" to it.  Held up for years, then sold it off when my friend died.

Offline hrlyridr77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Shanty Plans - Almost ready!!
« Reply #104 on: Nov 27, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Picked up one of the old Cabelas tent shanties - the "build your own floor" kind... finally getting it close to done.
Gonna build a rack for my Jet Sled to hold it, so I don't have to carry it...

Tried it out... it'll do,   It'll do.... ;)

Sometimes it's not about the fish, but about the fishin'

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Nov 27, 2010, 02:53 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's almost identical to the Shapell Minuteman I picked up.  Even the floor.  The guy must have trashed the original plastic floor, and built a wooden one.

I was smiling like you when I got mine too. ;D ;D ;D

By the way Shapell has a set of collapsable skies that would work just ducky on that, you might want to check it out.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:45 AM »

That's almost identical to the Shapell Minuteman I picked up.  Even the floor.  The guy must have trashed the original plastic floor, and built a wooden one
   I bought a minuteman over 20 years ago and it came with a plywood floor. Chip board even. I sealed it with water repellent and still have it in mint condition. Its been a awesome hut for a lot of good times.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:03 AM »
Heck maybe it is the original floor.  It's made out of chip board.  I just slapped some fresh black paint on the floor (both sides) to keep the moisture out.

Offline luckyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:53 AM »
I have a old snowmobile trailer 6x8.5 Is it worth the money to build a shack on it? I wonder if it is big enough also if it is stupid because it doesnt lower to the ice. Also if i do is 5 gallon buckets good to stick through the holes to the ice?

Offline ice_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PROUD MEMBER OF THE F.O.E.O.A.
« Reply #109 on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:58 AM »
I have a old snowmobile trailer 6x8.5 Is it worth the money to build a shack on it? I wonder if it is big enough also if it is stupid because it doesnt lower to the ice. Also if i do is 5 gallon buckets good to stick through the holes to the ice?

id kill to have a trailer like that to build a shanty off of..........to answer your other question about using 5 gal buckets for hole sleeves, ya sure can do that..........would work great

6x8 shanty is about perfect for 3 people to fish out of with lots of room for equipment yet......if ya wanna get real extravagant, ya can even make a couple of fold down bunks for sleeping on in it even

Offline luckyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:01 AM »
I have a tarp/plywood shanty now i am looking to upgrade. i cant decide if I should build or buy a cargo trailer and convert.

Offline Scuba09D8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:56 PM »
I'm planning on building a semi perminate  shack i bought some plans from fishhouseplans.com i wanted a drop down shack.  It should be getting underway in a few weeks. 8x14' with bunks for the weekend trips.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:45 PM »

That's almost identical to the Shapell Minuteman I picked up.  Even the floor.  The guy must have trashed the original plastic floor, and built a wooden one.

I was smiling like you when I got mine too. ;D ;D ;D

By the way Shapell has a set of collapsible skies that would work just ducky on that, you might want to check it out.

Re: collapsible skies.  Our lake was so rough I tore the skies out from under-neath.  I just put it a top my Husky sled (Like and Otter)  strapped it down with bungee cords and away I go.

Offline legacy vet76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:27 PM »
 i based mine off of my slant roof chicken shack, used particle board for all three walls and floor and used luon for front wall and a picket fence cut to size for door, used metal square pockets drilled to side of 2 by 4 floor on out side then fastened 2 by 2 scabs on each wall the scabs fit in side metal pockets for xtra support fabricated each wall seperate and used 2 by 2s for studs 2 fett on center. used tin 4 roof with plastic corigated roofing in middle for light. the roof is 2 inces over 8 feet so it slides over top of all four walls and just screw it to the walls, i have put it up and taken it down in my barn seems to work so far taking to the lake tuesday i will give update. oh ya also scabd 2 by 6 on each side of floor for runners.cut at 22 for snow

Offline fxdxharley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:11 AM »
here is a link to my shack build. its 5x7 x 6 x 6' 10".
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=172507.0
Play hard, Take chances!!

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Mar 15, 2011, 03:13 PM »
find your self a old pop up camper and tear everything out of it and lift the roof up use 2x3 for the bracing and 4x8 plywood for the walls!! then you can trailer it anywhere you want!! i have 2 of them my self!!

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #116 on: Sep 21, 2011, 01:34 AM »
New Ice Shanty Plans web site.  http://www.shantypods.com

this link didnt work for me
any other ideas for building a large , light permanant shack??
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

luv2fish2

« Reply #117 on: Sep 25, 2011, 06:28 AM »
i got a pop up someone here told me to stud it with steel skin it with corrugated fiberglass sounds like what i'm gonna do make the back hinged like a ramp use it to hall a sled there get to the lake, back the sled out and haul it out with the sled

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #118 on: Jul 16, 2012, 11:18 PM »
find your self a old pop up camper and tear everything out of it and lift the roof up use 2x3 for the bracing and 4x8 plywood for the walls!! then you can trailer it anywhere you want!! i have 2 of them my self!!

I have one as well! Works great! I left in the dinette, cabinets, furnace, stove......it make those long weekend trips VERY comfortable!

Offline eplindstrom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If this boat is rocking you have a serious problem
« Reply #119 on: Sep 22, 2012, 11:55 AM »
About a hundred pounds ...but you can tow it around with one finger ...on ice or hard-pack snow .
With a wood burning stove there is no condensation in the shack .
I use a small block and tackle to get it back(fully loaded with gear)up the snowmachine ramp(home-built) onto the half-ton. It's a lot easier than putting it up by hand by your-self .To put it up by hand , I have to unload all my gear first ....ain't as young as I usetawas .
I glued and screwed 10" long triangular corner blocks into each of the four corners of the walls for strength .
I put a tow bar on the front so that I could pull it behind the snowmachine.
The stove pipe is vented out the plywood wall opposite to the door.
I cut the bottoms out of two plastic ice-cream containers(1 gallon) and stuff them into the two 8" fishing holes cut into the 3/4 plywood floor (diagonal corners) ...keeps any cold air out of shack ...plus holes don't freeze up .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.