Author Topic: Anybody have any preseason tips for my new hub  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anybody have any preseason tips for my new hub
« on: Aug 29, 2018, 03:07 PM »
My 5 year old Summit blew about a mile across the lake last year before I could get a second stake in.
It got busted up so reluctantly I picked up a 6500 Wide House at the end of last season.  At least I got a good deal on it. Anybody have tips about prepping a new hub?  Seam seal?  Soak it and let it dry and set up on the frame while it’s in the sun? Anything like that? 

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anybody have any preseason tips for my new hub
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Scotch guard after leaving open a few day to air out??   

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2018, 03:15 PM »
My widehouse 6500 is on it 4 year with no leaks yet.i would practice putting it up and down and back in its bag.lol

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I got my 5500 WideHouse 7 years ago and I have never done anything to “prep” it. Nothing. Ever. It’s still virtually in new condition, windows and all. I’ve never had to seal anything or soak anything. Great hubs, in my experience. The only thing I can think of is perhaps invest in some better/easier anchors. The anchors that came with mine work just fine but it takes too much to get them started (by hand, if you’re using a drill then don’t worry about it). However, 7 years later, I still use the provided anchors and this season I plan on getting an anchor adapter for my drill.

My 5500 is super easy to setup/takedown and the bag is nice and wide too. I’ve never had any issues there. I start with popping the top. Then I hold the seam where the roof meets the walls on the outside (centered above the pull loop) then pop out the sides. I take it down in reverse. Being that the 6500 is slightly taller and wider, doing the sides first may help then push the top up from inside, unless you have real long arms and can reach the center of the roof from the outside.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2018, 04:04 PM »
All shanty mfg . suggest being set up and open a few hours to days to let the fabric stretch some .. I suggest scotch guarding the seams so you don't get as many leaks in winter.. I never had problems with my shappells just thinking preventive maintanuance here I do it every year the scotch guard..

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Good to hear the Shappells are tried and true. I’ll set it up and let’r sit for a day or so.  Maybe a good time to do it this weekend.  In the 90’s, cleaning doves, watching football and smoking a brisket.  My kinda multi-tasking!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2018, 10:55 PM »
my wh6500 leaks on the roof seam big time. it's where the black roof and blue walls meet. you might set up a sprinkler or hose it down to check for leaks. also, you can set it up and check for daylight from the inside. if you see daylight it will leak.

use a seam sealer on it if it leaks. i use 303 fabric protector on all of my shelters. i buy it in a case lot.
maybe get some chapstick or zipper lube for the bottom area of the zipper or the entire zipper(s). it likes to freeze while heating.

practice setting it up and taking it down in high winds on land.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Eskimo anchors and cam buckle tie down straps

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2018, 03:54 PM »
mothballs  ..tuck in and around. mice love fabric, but hate mothballs

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Add an LED light.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:12 AM »
All shanty mfg . suggest being set up and open a few hours to days to let the fabric stretch some .. I suggest scotch guarding the seams so you don't get as many leaks in winter.. I never had problems with my shappells just thinking preventive maintanuance here I do it every year the scotch guard..

Scotch guard is bad for fabric.  Makes it brittle.  If you take notice to any old furniture where the fuzzy fabric turns smooth that's where the fuzzy party wore,  or broke off.  (If you see this, it's a good chance that the store applied scotchgaurd at customers request... for way to much money btw) 

If you're worried about leaks.. I would suggest silicone.  Either camp dry, or if you're even a little handy, mix up 1 part 100% silicone to 5 parts mineral spirits and brush that on your seams.  After a couple minutes for the spirits to flash off the silicone is left behind. It will probably make the treated area look a little darker.  But it wont hurt the fabric, and it will last WAY longer than camp dry or scotch guard. 

Jason

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.