Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake trip planned  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clear Lake trip planned
« on: Aug 25, 2018, 09:32 PM »
I have booked a guided trip to Clear Lake the last weekend of January to go after some Walleye and Yellow Bass. I have only ice fished Clear Lake during the Yellow Bass Bonanza last year and had a blast. I’m hoping to get there a few more times this coming ice season. Has anyone ever done a guided trip on Clear Lake?

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake trip planned
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2018, 12:59 PM »
My wife and I went with KP's guide service. If you want walleye be prepared to wake up early. If you want to catch yellow bass do it on your own dime. They are everywhere. I do have to admit it was nice that I did not have to bring or haul any gear. It was worth the money spent in my opinion as my wife had a blast and that's what matter to me. Don't forget to tip your guide!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2018, 10:16 PM »
My wife and I went with KP's guide service. If you want walleye be prepared to wake up early. If you want to catch yellow bass do it on your own dime. They are everywhere. I do have to admit it was nice that I did not have to bring or haul any gear. It was worth the money spent in my opinion as my wife had a blast and that's what matter to me. Don't forget to tip your guide!

Pretty much nailed it.....no need for a guide unless u need to use his gear or need help finding walleye. Yellow Bass are an evasive species and ruin the echo system for good panfish like perch, gills, and crappie. Please do not throw any yellow bass back regardless of size. Reason behind it is they are prolific spawning fish, and overtake the fishery causing stunting & taking the forage good panfish need.

When I fish at lost island the kids catch 5gallon buckets full off of the docks. Once a bucket gets full they get dumped in either a corn field or out in the middle of the lake for catfish to eat. I just hate seeing yellow bass in a lake, knowing they pretty much screw having a good perch population for the lake.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:59 PM »
My wife and I went with KP's guide service. If you want walleye be prepared to wake up early. If you want to catch yellow bass do it on your own dime. They are everywhere. I do have to admit it was nice that I did not have to bring or haul any gear. It was worth the money spent in my opinion as my wife had a blast and that's
what matter to me. Don't forget to tip your guide!

Yeah, looking for walleye. I would love to hear about your trip some more. Private message me if you would like.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:55 PM »
I have booked a guided trip to Clear Lake the last weekend of January to go after some Walleye and Yellow Bass. I have only ice fished Clear Lake during the Yellow Bass Bonanza last year and had a blast. I’m hoping to get there a few more times this coming ice season. Has anyone ever done a guided trip on Clear Lake?
So you booked a guide trip with the guide that puts on the YBB two weeks before the tourney? And you entered his tourney? Hmm. That’s a bold strategy Cotton, let’s see if it pays off.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Yeah, I thought about that after I booked. The guide trip is a walleye Trip however and there is about five of us going. Hoping to pull at least a few decent walleye out. Never have gotten one through the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.