Author Topic: Ice Shack For Lake Erie  (Read 922 times)

Offline erie eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Shack For Lake Erie
« on: Aug 05, 2018, 05:02 PM »
I have been thinking about building a new shanty for lake Erie for a couple years. I have 2 Otter portables the resort uninsulated and the cottage xt pro insulated and like both of them, But would like something that heats with wood or vented propane so it is  safe to try to sleep over nite. Size is limited to approx 6 x 10 or 6 x 12 so it could be hauled easy by trailer at reasonable speeds to and from the lake. Prior homemade shantys have always been built from wood and canvas so only good for so long, would like to build from aluminum and other light weight materials and build to last. Some ideas I have thought about are the Hi-Lo camper style for less wind resistance and theft from break ins, Push out for more room in a smaller package, Heat from a add on enclosure for more floor space, ETC.
  So what I would like to ask is what features would you have or not have in a semi permy as creature comforts or build features. Probably wont build yet for this year but would like for the next winter(2020) so plenty of time to plan and engineer.
   Have lots of questions but want to hear your ideas and suggestions to do it right and plan it out so everyone thinking about building can use the info.

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Shack For Lake Erie
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I currently have an 8x7 and building a second unit (8x12) this fall... I plan to take the lessons learned from my first shack, the 8x7, to the new, bigger one.

- I have a bump-out for the stove and will probably do that again. Saves a lot of floor space.
- My skids will be at least 1' longer on each end of the shack. So my 12' shack will have 14' skids. On the front, where the door will be, I can install a grate or some other device that will clean the snow off your boots rather than tracking it in and having a wet floor.
- My skids will be reinforced (to each other) by steel tubing underneath the shack to that they don't independently flex when pulling it around the lake to new fishing spots.
- Run extra 12v wiring (if your doing 12v) that you don't think you will need or want. You always want and need more. Next time I will install a proper 12v switch panel with USB plugs and a voltage meter to run the lights and fans. (these switch panels are all over amazon and ebay for like $30). I also will pre-plan to install at least 3 or 4 small computer-style fans. These things are great for moving air in the shack, but mine are installed piece-meal and it drives me crazy.
- I will build firewood storage into the bench seats instead of carting it around with Rubbermaid containers.
- This time around I will use 2x3 steel studs for the walls and roof. The price difference is nominal and the weight is significantly lighter.
- I currently have my fishing holes around the outside of the floor and you always have your body turned or are holding the rod sideways when fishing. Am considering putting them in the middle for better ergonomics.

That's all I can think of for now... I will add more if I think of them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.