Author Topic: Rainbows  (Read 2855 times)

Offline drillin n chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rainbows
« on: Mar 14, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Was up north( Cloyne) this past weekend on 2 stocked lakes. One with Specks one with Rainbows. We threw everything we had at them. 2ft to 49ft of water not even a nibble. Any tips would be great. Going back next year.
Thanks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rainbows
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Bump

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2018, 01:24 AM »
As a rule I'd concentrate on water less than 15' for both.  I've caught rainbows suspended just under the ice over deep water but it's a tough pattern to duplicate.

Inflows, points and downed trees or beaver lodges are usually good places to start.  If you get a chance, try to hit those lakes in the spring or fall during open water season.  It makes it much easier to locate the prime spots.  Lastly, not all stocked lakes are created equal but the nice thing is where you find one, you usually don't need to travel too far to find the next one.  For me, the presence of bass and or cottages are nonstarters.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2018, 08:21 PM »
I don't know about bows but specks tend to be quite shallow. If you can find trees that have toppled into the water, that would be prime.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Domi1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Not sure what you are using for bait, most use worms. But I found for ice fishing trout, and using liver works great. Not sure why was an old trick my grandfather, told me. Surprising it worked.

Offline waywayupnorth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2020, 06:01 AM »
Recently fished 21 feet of water and caught Rainbow 2 ft under the ice jigging minnow (whole or head, doesn't matter) on any spoon with green on it.  The feed in this lake is predominately perch as far as I can tell, it's the only other thing we catch there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.