Author Topic: Best float bibs (no jacket needed)  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best float bibs (no jacket needed)
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:24 AM »
I see there are a lot of float options and i am thinking of upgrading my bibs this year.  cabbalas just replaced my jacket this year, so i don't need a float jacket, but i am overwhelmed by the options.  Any one have any good or bad experiences with the different float bibs?  I am looking through old posts but many have been change this year or for last season.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Best float bibs (no jacket needed)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:30 AM »
striker.
i have clam, artic armor and two different pairs of striker. one each in hardwater and one in climate version. franks has them on sale.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Both Clam and Striker Ice have  3 way zippers that go to the hip...adjustable inseam and breathable.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:32 AM »
striker.
i have clam, artic armor and two different pairs of striker. one each in hardwater and one in climate version. franks has them on sale.

What is "franks"?  So you like the climate strikers best? 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:14 AM »
What is "franks"?  So you like the climate strikers best?
i should like the climate suit bibs the best. they have a removable liner and the bib still offers the same float assist w/o them.
i like them being one color.
they are rated 10 out of10 for strikers warmth scale.
the hardwater is their toughest fabric is why i own those and it drops one point so they are 9 out of 10 heat scale.
both use magnet storm flaps where ever there are zippers.
i like them having more features than any other brand except for the hardwater bibs have the other features as well.
i just bought the climate bibs 3 days ago while shopping at franks great out doors in person (first time and what a great store! and they used to sponsor here is how i remembered to give them a shot looking for a showdown in stock and could drive to have one for a friend) the climate bibs are 195$. the retail on the hardwater bibs as about the same cost, slightly more.
they have a lot of sales even on stormy chromer hats. nice prices on sonars. they have the largest ice fishing inventory i have ever seen except for jigs.
they do have a website. 20 to 30% off most things. even the base price on some things are less than others like 13 fishing wicked combos are 50$ all day long. might have to call them to get sale pricing.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Think he means Franks Great Outdoors ...I have the Climate parka/bibs ...way too hot for my area with liners installed ..w/o liners I would guess early/late ice . I went with the Predator line up for my area it is just right.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Think he means Franks Great Outdoors ...I have the Climate parka/bibs ...way too hot for my area with liners installed ..w/o liners I would guess early/late ice . I went with the Predator line up for my area it is just right.

Thanks. Yeah i found franks.  I have cabbalas ice suit for when it is very cold, really prolly need a float suit for when it is early and late season, so predator might be the right call.  Not finding many deals though, Dicks has 25 off everything, but only the frabill suits.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:42 PM »
like i said, franks has 25% off striker and many things in their store. call them if you can't find a better deal. i just bought my climate bibs friday.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:45 AM »
I know this is going to sound stupid but if you went all the way in have only float bibs wouldn't you tend to get upside down?

I'm not in a position to upgrade a suit because I like the one I've got and it's still in excellent shape. I did bite on one of those auto-inflate vests to use in my boat but it will do double duty early and late ice. Got into that for <$80.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:57 AM »
I know this is going to sound stupid but if you went all the way in have only float bibs wouldn't you tend to get upside down?

I'm not in a position to upgrade a suit because I like the one I've got and it's still in excellent shape. I did bite on one of those auto-inflate vests to use in my boat but it will do double duty early and late ice. Got into that for <$80.

With just my SI Climate bibs on ...I walked off a floating raft in 8-9 fow...popped up EZPZ ..I did touch bottom briefly..they floated me on my back..it was difficult to turn over to simulate an ice escape ..once flipped over it floated my legs w/o effort . Note with both parka and bibs on I did not touch bottom at all ...the raft was appox 2 ft above the water ...so my walk off added extra forces not typically found during a ice break through.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply diehard. It really was a serious question as my experience with flotation wear is zero. That's neat you gave it a road test, surely have to have some confidence from that.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply diehard. It really was a serious question as my experience with flotation wear is zero. That's neat you gave it a road test, surely have to have some confidence from that.

I did have the liner removed on both the parka and bibs during my test ...I also tested the parka of my Predator also ...they all drained fairly quickly to boot . I wanted to test the bibs alone ..I looked all over for a video of that to no avail..so did my test .Most of us will always have the bibs on...the parka not so much. 

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2017, 11:20 PM »
I would recommend either the Ice Armor Ascent Bibs from Clam or one of the Striker bibs. my first ever float suit(parka & bibs) was the first year Striker Ice suit when they brought them to the market. now along with my Striker suit I also run the Ice Armor Lift Suit (had this since they came out) and new this year I picked up one of the Ice Armor Ascent Suits(Lift was discontinued and redesign and renamed to Ascent). I have decided that they each have their time and place. Lift for warmer days, Ascent for the cold days, & the Striker for the really cold days. both are good brands so it really comes down to personal preference of what you like and how you fish (run & gun or sit in one place, in a house or out on the ice without a house).
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:50 AM »

I went through the ice in deep water 2 years ago during a machine rescue, had a full Climate suit on, it held me up with no problem.  The Striker bibs have adjustable leg length, don't know about the other brands, but it is a nice feature.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I don’t know for a fact but I am thinking the new Eskimo bibs are just Strikers with and Eskimo logo.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:51 AM »
I don’t know for a fact but I am thinking the new Eskimo bibs are just Strikers with and Eskimo logo.
.       Do they float ?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:11 AM »

Believe only 50 or 60g of insulation..so SI Guardian compares ...BRRRRRR

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2017, 12:54 PM »
I have the Hardwater bibs, I like them a lot and haven't had any issues with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.