The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Let’s talk flipovers!  (Read 1920 times)

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
Let’s talk flipovers!
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Hey guys and gals,
I have been doing some research on the clam flipovers and have been pondering quite a bit about selling my popup and switching to a flipover. Here is my questions,
1) how do they do in wind over 10 mph? Do you have to stake them etc? My pop up clam that I have is in dire need of a good stake job if the wind is blowing or else I’m ice sailing down the lake holding onto my pop up.
2) how is the fishing room for two guys? I usually have the niece, or a buddy fishing with me and usually drill 4 holes in my pop up. The pop up I have now is 8x8. With that said, I drill 4 holes, two jigging and two dead sticks, one in each corner. Then I have plenty of room for two guys and gear.  Do they make a flipover, preferably clam, that allows for this kind of room to fish 4 rods and still be able to be mobile to reach the dead sticks while jigging for instance?

3) transporting all of your gear. How is it? I carry a fish finder, buddy heater, rod bag, gas auger, ice scoop, and pop up all in my sled. Do the flipover two sweaters have enough room to store all of my gear (excluding the pop up of course) convienantely in the built in sled?

Many questions about these flipovers and have thought hard about buying one. If anyone has a preference and any input it would be greatly appreciated!

Tight lines and stay safe out there
-MTF

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Let’s talk flipovers!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:54 AM »
I forgot to add into the post. Montana’s three biggest lies. THE WIND DON’T BLOW, the truck is paid for, and I was just trying to help the sheep over the fence! Wind is a major factor to whether or not I go out on an ice excursion. Let me know what your thoughts are about these flipovers!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:14 AM »
I will give you some feedback from my experiences on the ice (in a shack) and in the wind. I have fished in a large flipover, 2-man flipover, and a large pop up. In windy or bitter cold conditions I much prefer the large pop up that has been properly staked and has outrigger lines that are also staked down.

You mentioned that u like to fish 4 holes. U will not be able to fish 4 holes in a 2-man flipover (only 2). That being said in a large flipover you are able to comfortably fish 3-4 holes depending on hole placement.
As for fishing in windy conditions you should ice anchor the flipover on 3 sides. The downside to a flipover is that the fabric really never sucks down tight around the poles and will flap sometimes violently in the wind. When fishing in high winds I much prefer the jason mitchel thermal. It has ice anchors from the inside on all corners and additional outrigger anchors from the outside on all corners. I have tested this product in the coldest and windiest conditions in Montana/Wyoming and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it performed. Before making a decision you may also want to factor in weight, unless of course you fish exclusively with a machine to drag your gear.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:27 AM »
That’s another factor I did not think about. I drag all of my gear behind my feet and have never used a machine on the ice. I don’t mind pulling the extra weight behind me if I can effectively fish 4 holes in my flipover. I will have to do some more research on weight and such and “weigh” my options. Thanks for the input!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:29 AM »
I have fished 4 holes in a flipover so yes you absolutely can.... The clam Denali you could fish 4 people in let alone 4 holes..... Look at the info of each shanty and look for the fishable area
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline jasburrito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:41 AM »
 Seems the biggest advantages of a flip style is having all your gear in 1 unit.and being able to move faster. Less waste. Biggest disadvantage is no floor. Best to have both styles. add quad and snowmobile.
Love watching youtube videos of ice fishing. Dave Genz is the best. Mark Martin and jason Mitchell are great too. Fred Trost  is the man.

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Next question, besides the Denali, what other forms of flipovers do we recommend to look into?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:06 AM »
I have a suitcase style blind and it fishes 2 people 3 if you cram in.... I also want a flip.... So I can put my suitcase on top and fish more people... Have more elbow room and be more mobile.... But the downside is they are heavier unless you get a single and the more options you get the heavier they get... In deep snow they can really wear you out dragging a long ways.... But you can put it in top of a Smitty sled and create less surface area on the snow and make that less an issue... Really all depends is how deep into it are you gonna get.... I like the Eskimo Evo 2 by look alsthough I've never used it.... Also Eskimo quick flip 3 would be a good choice.... I've read somewhere the Evo had issues with poles breaking, and it is a new unit so may wanna wait until they figure it out.... I personally would choose a shanty with bench style seating like the quick flip instead of swivel seating. Just adds the option to put another person inside if you really wanna

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:49 AM »
X 2 what double haul said. I used an Eskimo Quick Flip for years. Now I have the Quick Fish 3 hub. Honestly, I liked the flip-over better. I found it was easier to unload from the pickup with everything inside and go. It just seemed more mobile. I could stop and fish for a while, and pack up and go quicker if I wasn't catching fish. Now, I no longer run-and-gun anymore. It's just too much of a hassle with the hub. You have to take everything down and load it up in the sled. The hub ends up being more heavy than the flip, because I now have to use an Otter Magnum sled, to haul everything in, including the hub and extra chairs that I never needed with the flip. The hub does better in strong winds IF everything is guyed-out and anchored to the max. But you have to anchor at least one or two corners at all times, because if any kind of wind kicks up, that hub is going sailing. I never needed to anchor the flip in anything under 15 mph, because the weight of the sled with stuff inside weighted it down. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the back corner of the flip sled and tied a short rope with a loop to anchor. On the front end, I anchored with the pull rope. Most of the time, I didn't anchor. If a wind kicked up, I left my son on the bench and went out and anchored the back two corners, with the rear facing the wind. I have had it in storms up to 30 mph winds. The disadvantages: you cannot fish four holes. I drilled two jigging holes inside and used a tipup or two right next to it outside for a deadstick; not a big deal. The hub is also a lot easier to store at home, especially during the summer. I had to disassemble the tent from the sled and store the tent inside, so the mice wouldn't chew holes in the fabric. The sled got stored in a shed. The hub is also roomier inside. The Cabelas ice chairs are more comfortable than those bench seats. Everything is a trade-off. I am sticking with the hub, because I don't feel like buying a new flip anytime soon.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:18 PM »
I picked up a Clam Nanook Thermal last year and love it. I rarely drill more than three jigging holes at a time inside but there’s certainly room for a fourth in this two-person rig. I won’t speculate on space for your gear since your mileage will vary. I’m not one who needs to fish while only wearing a t-shirt, so the biggest weight factor for me with a flip-over is the seating type. Love the bucket seats but they are darned heavy.  I’ll leave one behind when going solo and both behind if hiking a long distance. A folding stool makes a fine alternative. Speaking of saving your back, I highly recommend wearing a harness for comfortable long distance pulling. A final consideration is if you plan to leave all of your gear in the flip, you’ll need to consider how to load it in your truck when solo.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:37 PM »
One more thing to consider: I'm not knocking Clam. They make a great product, or at least used to. But, I prefer Eskimo. Clam has permanently stitched Windows. Eskimo has removable Windows with Velcro. Not if, but when your window splits, you can replace with an Eskimo. With Clam, you will have to patch with clear packing tape.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:43 AM »
Not a flip but... Clam 5600 and a good sled...

Six holes if you want..

<°)))>{

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:49 AM »
Thanks guys for all of the thoughts and tips, I found a Older Eskimo quick flip 3 last night on the good ol craigslist for $100. Gonna give her a try for the season and see how she holds up before I drop the big bucks on a new one.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Look at an Evo before you make up your mind,if the extra weight isnt an issue I dont know how you could beat it.
http://www.geteskimo.com/evo-2it-crossover-shelter
Dont ask

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2017, 01:32 PM »
I've fished out of my Otter Cabin Insulated flipover for four years. I fish in wind up to 40mph. I almost always anchor. You never know when a gust might come up. I only anchor in one location in the middle/ rear of the flipover with a 2 foot 2x2 through the hole attached to a stout length of rope. The comfort factor goes down with winds over 30, and a guy has to think through the fold up process in the wind. Things can get torn up. We also have a piece of closed cell foam that goes on the ice under the feet to keep them from getting too cold.  built a little smitty sled for pulling through snow though.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:56 PM »
I've been fishing out of a Clam Yukon for a dozen years and love it.  I did put a new tent on it after 10 years.

I typically only drill two holes in the hut.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:03 PM »
I've fished out of my Otter Cabin Insulated flipover for four years. I fish in wind up to 40mph. I almost always anchor. You never know when a gust might come up. I only anchor in one location in the middle/ rear of the flipover with a 2 foot 2x2 through the hole attached to a stout length of rope. The comfort factor goes down with winds over 30, and a guy has to think through the fold up process in the wind. Things can get torn up. We also have a piece of closed cell foam that goes on the ice under the feet to keep them from getting too cold.  built a little smitty sled for pulling through snow though.

I like my cabin too - heavy SOB if its loaded, but usually try to roll one seat and keep it light. Interested in that smitty sled....

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:25 PM »
I like my cabin too - heavy SOB if its loaded, but usually try to roll one seat and keep it light. Interested in that smitty sled....
There is a build thread on here somewhere if you search it for the Smitty.... I'm looking for some skis right now to do my own

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Bought a pair today at the good sam for $15
Dont ask

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:54 PM »
What do you want to do? Hub houses are a huge pain in the ass to fold up and move, lots of work. Usually use Hubs to stay in one place or move once. I am going to a flip house soon. Reason, is I like to move around a lot. I currently walk and not pull with wheeler. So I am going with the new Clam Kenai 1 man flip. it is 48 LBS and 900 denier. 900 denier with little buddy heater and anchors you are good in 10 degree weather with some wind. Ice fishing in 0 degree and wind, just stay home. to much crap breaks.
NorthernAnglers - "You Catch It, I'll Put It On The Wall"

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:53 PM »
The biggest problem I have with my flip over is something I initially thought would be a convenience, I figured having every thing stored in one package would be great. When you load all of your gear into the flip over for transportation you have to take it all back out to set up and vice versa when it comes time to move. Anymore I mount most of my gear on the 4 wheeler to keep things more organized. Last year was my first with a flip over, before that i used a pop up hub shelter for several years. I may eventually migrate back to a hub.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:08 PM »
Personally I like the shappell dx4000 cabin style shelter.... Very roomy and tall for big guys... Plus has pop-up skis that make it awesome to drag.... Wish I could find someone that wants a vex and would trade a dx4000 for it I would swap right now.... Or a 2 man flip

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Here's a link to a Smitty sled thread.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?action=search2

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:42 AM »
There is a build thread on here somewhere if you search it for the Smitty.... I'm looking for some skis right now to do my own

Here's a link to a Smitty sled thread.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?action=search2

Thanks bros - I've read up a lot on them in the past and have been wanting to do it, but just been too lazy to actually get it done. Don't really start thinking about it hard until I'm lugging that thing through snow  ::)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:53 AM »
get the skis and build it:)
It makes hauling gear on and off the ice so much easier.
No more frozen slush stuck to the bottom of your sled making a hundred pounds of gear feel like 500....

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:13 PM »
This is a little video from last year with about a 30 mph wind in my Otter Cabin flipover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8HOpLLd7Fg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.