Author Topic: Manosteel00's 8x12 Shanty Build  (Read 47147 times)

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The Glory Hole - 8x12 Shanty Build
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Installed remaining siding and roof rafters:

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 08, 2015, 05:40 PM »
I'm about to run the electric and had a quick question.   I'll be attaching 3/8" pine panels to the interior.  I have lights that will require screws for mounting and was wondering how to do this since the paneling will not be strong enough to securely attach the fixtures.

Any ideas on the best way to do this?  Not everything will be able to mount to the studs.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 08, 2015, 06:51 PM »
You could glue a furring strip or chunk of 2x4 on the inside of the paneling where the light will be screwed.  Or a shallow electrical box to the stud.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Now is the time to think about where you want to mount anything with any weight on your wall/celling ext.  You can reinforce any areas you want with more 2x2 and plywood before you sheet it.  I took a pencil and marked the floor and ceiling where all my studs and reinforced areas where at and used a level to follow the stud up.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 08, 2015, 07:06 PM »
I first want to say -Awesome job so far!!! Can't wait to see more pictures as you get farther on it! I am wondering though, where did you get the UMHW you put on the runners? That looks like some good stuff.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 08, 2015, 08:16 PM »
I first want to say -Awesome job so far!!! Can't wait to see more pictures as you get farther on it! I am wondering though, where did you get the UMHW you put on the runners? That looks like some good stuff.

Thanks!  There is a company in the Wisconsin Dells that lines dump trucks with UMHW.  They have recycled product for dirt cheap.  Email [email protected] he was great to work with and super cost effective.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 08, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Now is the time to think about where you want to mount anything with any weight on your wall/celling ext.  You can reinforce any areas you want with more 2x2 and plywood before you sheet it.  I took a pencil and marked the floor and ceiling where all my studs and reinforced areas where at and used a level to follow the stud up.

Great idea, thank you.  I may put some reinforced 2x2s around for possible future additions as well.  Good call.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 08, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Thanks!  There is a company in the Wisconsin Dells that lines dump trucks with UMHW.  They have recycled product for dirt cheap.  Email [email protected] he was great to work with and super cost effective.
Thanks!!!! I appreciate it!
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 10, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Roof finished.  Insulation and Electric started.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #39 on: Nov 10, 2015, 02:25 PM »
Looking really good! Keep up the good work, you should be on schedule to be ready when the ice is  :tipup:

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 10, 2015, 03:39 PM »
 Lookin gooooooood !    :woot: :thumbsup:

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Nov 17, 2015, 09:34 PM »
Here's a few more update pics.

Finishing up insulation and wiring.

Gotta rock the solar panel.

Ceiling insulation finished and paneling starting to go up.

William's 14000 BTU heater installed.  This thing is awesome!

Rest of the paneling going up.

RV lights used over holes.  Pretty slick!

Party time lights!

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Manosteel00's 8x12 Shanty Build
« Reply #42 on: Nov 24, 2015, 09:52 PM »
Most of the interior finished and started working on windows, door, and trim.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 29, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Hey guys - couple quick questions.  I should have figured this out right off the bat but I wasn't sure what to do at that point.  I need to figure out the ideal way to tow this thing around the lake as well as figure out a way to load it onto a tilt bed snowmobile trailer.

1.)  I have a 12' single axel wide snowmobile trailer that is pretty much brand new.  I was thinking of winching it up with two come-alongs to load it.  Do you think that the trailer could handle that type of weight?

2.) I attached a picture of the runners below.  Due to the size of the plastic I was working with, I could not make the runner ends extend as far as I would like.  After I notched them I feel like the very front points are weak and should not be bearing that type of load. 

I am thinking of doing the following.  I would like to mount a 2" adjustable trailer tow bar on one side through the 2x4 floor framing and eye-bolts through the other side.  This will allow me to tow it easily with a truck or ATV on one side and provide a way to winch it up the trailer and let me move it with my snowmobile on the other side.

I am scared of doing it this way since it is a lot of weight and I don't want to rip anything apart before I actually get to use it.  If I use steel backing plates across the entire 2x4 do you think that will be ok?

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:04 PM »
I'm not sure about where you can hook up to it on your set up, I have an 8'x10' my runners are 4"x4"pt with an eye hook on each front outer side. I use 2 come-a-longs to drag it up the tilt snowmobile trailer, one on each side. I start by winching hooked to the trailer, then as it gets close, I hook to the truck itself to get the last couple feet. That's the easy part... I have a 101"x10' trailer and it is definitely overloaded. The tires hit the deck over bumps and at higher speed from the wind load.  And it's much lighter looking that your build. I do believe it'll work, but its not gonna be an easy trip.
Sounds like your tow bar idea is the best bet. But, you look low to the ground as far as clearance. That was a huge mistake on my first build. If that gets stuck in the snow, you run the risk of damage, no matter how you hook up. I broke a 4x4 runner in half last year, trying to free my severely stuck shanty.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Hey guys - couple quick questions.  I should have figured this out right off the bat but I wasn't sure what to do at that point.  I need to figure out the ideal way to tow this thing around the lake as well as figure out a way to load it onto a tilt bed snowmobile trailer.

1.)  I have a 12' single axel wide snowmobile trailer that is pretty much brand new.  I was thinking of winching it up with two come-alongs to load it.  Do you think that the trailer could handle that type of weight?

2.) I attached a picture of the runners below.  Due to the size of the plastic I was working with, I could not make the runner ends extend as far as I would like.  After I notched them I feel like the very front points are weak and should not be bearing that type of load. 

I am thinking of doing the following.  I would like to mount a 2" adjustable trailer tow bar on one side through the 2x4 floor framing and eye-bolts through the other side.  This will allow me to tow it easily with a truck or ATV on one side and provide a way to winch it up the trailer and let me move it with my snowmobile on the other side.

I am scared of doing it this way since it is a lot of weight and I don't want to rip anything apart before I actually get to use it.  If I use steel backing plates across the entire 2x4 do you think that will be ok?

I use to haul my 8x12 on a 12' tilt trailer a few hundred miles and never had a problem.  I would jack the shack up and block it near the middle, but a little forward.  This would keep the front of the shack a few feet in the air and the higher the better.  I would back the trailer under the shack with the trailer tilted and then jack the back of the shack up and with four guys we could push the shack on the trailer.   All hitch set ups I have had were steel tubing or round pipe.  I like my skis to be a few feet longer than the shack so I have plenty of "meat" to attach a hitch too.  I would rather pull on the skis then pull on the shack frame.  The hitch serves as a great jacking point also.  You may have to run a piece of flat steel maybe a foot long on the inside of each ski and make it come out further and maybe even slightly above your ski and attach your hitch to the flat steel.  You could even sandwich each ski with the flat steel running bolts through your skis and it would be stout.  Just an idea.  Your hitch needs to be rugged or it will not last hauling an 8x12.  Good luck!

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Nov 30, 2015, 11:21 AM »
I'm not sure about where you can hook up to it on your set up, I have an 8'x10' my runners are 4"x4"pt with an eye hook on each front outer side. I use 2 come-a-longs to drag it up the tilt snowmobile trailer, one on each side. I start by winching hooked to the trailer, then as it gets close, I hook to the truck itself to get the last couple feet. That's the easy part... I have a 101"x10' trailer and it is definitely overloaded. The tires hit the deck over bumps and at higher speed from the wind load.  And it's much lighter looking that your build. I do believe it'll work, but its not gonna be an easy trip.
Sounds like your tow bar idea is the best bet. But, you look low to the ground as far as clearance. That was a huge mistake on my first build. If that gets stuck in the snow, you run the risk of damage, no matter how you hook up. I broke a 4x4 runner in half last year, trying to free my severely stuck shanty.

Thanks!  We typically don't get a whole ton of snow around here but I did use 2x10's and notched them out, so it's standing 7" off the ground.  Just looks low due to the black paint.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 30, 2015, 11:43 AM »
I use to haul my 8x12 on a 12' tilt trailer a few hundred miles and never had a problem.  I would jack the shack up and block it near the middle, but a little forward.  This would keep the front of the shack a few feet in the air and the higher the better.  I would back the trailer under the shack with the trailer tilted and then jack the back of the shack up and with four guys we could push the shack on the trailer.   All hitch set ups I have had were steel tubing or round pipe.  I like my skis to be a few feet longer than the shack so I have plenty of "meat" to attach a hitch too.  I would rather pull on the skis then pull on the shack frame.  The hitch serves as a great jacking point also.  You may have to run a piece of flat steel maybe a foot long on the inside of each ski and make it come out further and maybe even slightly above your ski and attach your hitch to the flat steel.  You could even sandwich each ski with the flat steel running bolts through your skis and it would be stout.  Just an idea.  Your hitch needs to be rugged or it will not last hauling an 8x12.  Good luck!

Thanks Jiggin!  I'm going to try this method.  Do you end up jacking and blocking up one side at a time or do you use four jacks in each corner?

I was talking to my friend who is a professional guide around here and he really suggested using rope.  He said small amount of stretch in the rope can allow you to jerk it if you get it stuck in snow, etc and is not as hard on the shack as a rigid bar will be.  I thought that was a good point.  I think I will either run a 1" pipe through the skid about a foot in from the end of the wall and terminate it with a floor flange, then connect the rope to each side.  Do you think that would do the job?  I don't want to get into the business of getting steel fabricated for this or having to spend a lot of time working underneath the shanty at this point.  I'd say this is probably the one important thing I missed when I started doing this...should have been the first step instead of the last!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Thanks Jiggin!  I'm going to try this method.  Do you end up jacking and blocking up one side at a time or do you use four jacks in each corner?

I was talking to my friend who is a professional guide around here and he really suggested using rope.  He said small amount of stretch in the rope can allow you to jerk it if you get it stuck in snow, etc and is not as hard on the shack as a rigid bar will be.  I thought that was a good point.  I think I will either run a 1" pipe through the skid about a foot in from the end of the wall and terminate it with a floor flange, then connect the rope to each side.  Do you think that would do the job?  I don't want to get into the business of getting steel fabricated for this or having to spend a lot of time working underneath the shanty at this point.  I'd say this is probably the one important thing I missed when I started doing this...should have been the first step instead of the last!

If you have a rigid steel hitch you can still snap it and pull it with a rope if you need to.  The steel hitch is nice because it keeps the shack behind your machine, not going where the shack wants to go and that is a pain and may get you stuck more often then not with a big shack.  When you turn the shack will turn ;)  The UHMW will slide all over if you don't have a runner strip down the middle.  If you go down any hills maybe a boat landing to get on the lake ext.  then the hitch will keep the shack from running into your sled.   I made my last hitch out of casing and drill pipe because it is rugged and free.  I could jack any where on that hitch and it never bent.  Im using schedule 40 pipe on my new hitch because it is free and will be strong enough, but not as strong as my last hitch.  I use a high lift and will jack one corner at a time because my shack is heavy.  I probably hauled my 8x12 a few hundred miles and would never build one without a steel hitch. 

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2015, 01:45 AM »
Anyone have any recommendations for wall mountable LP 20# tank holders? I've only found one online that looks flimsy and would like to mount two on the outer wall for the furnace

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:05 AM »
This looks cool, or fab up something similar.

http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1539
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 16, 2015, 10:43 PM »
Thanks I'll check it out!

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 16, 2015, 10:47 PM »
Here's a few more updated pics.  Finished the trim and just have a few odds and ends to wrap up.  I'll post a video walkthrough since it's tough to take pictures in the barn once I have it on the ice...which seems to be never at this point!

Wrapping up the trim

Light show, covers installed with silicon

Making a battery cabinet and cooktop.  Will be putting resin on the countertop.  So nice to have heat with a thermostat while working!

All painted up

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:44 AM »
Awesome build, any idea what the weight is?
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 17, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Awesome build, any idea what the weight is?

No clue.  I would estimate under 2000 pounds since I tried to use lightweight materials as much as possible. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Dec 17, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Boy it sure looks great...
Cant wait to see pictures of it on the ice....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 17, 2015, 02:49 PM »
When are you going to start the attached garage???   ;)2 :whistle: Just kidding, but that's a HOUSE!!!  ;D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:55 PM »
How many busch lights did that build take you? Awesome!!!
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Wow! Nice job man! That thing is awesome. Make sure you get some pics up of it on the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.