Author Topic: Manosteel00's 8x12 Shanty Build  (Read 47148 times)

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
Manosteel00's 8x12 Shanty Build
« on: Sep 25, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Today I started on my new 8x12 ice shanty.  I have very limited carpenter experience so I've spent dozens of hours the past few months researching best ways to build this 8x12.  I got to a point where I was comfortable with a plan in what to do and think it's going to turn out great!  Here's my materials list:

Runners: 2x10" notched for 2x4 framing.  I used untreated wood as I wanted to try to save on some weight and will be applying herculiner (a roll on bedliner) in hopes this will prevent any rotting. Runner bottom material is made of 3/8" UMHW that is 8" wide which will hopefully make this fortress slide rather easily.

Floor: I used 1/2" ply for the base and sandwiched in 1/2" rigid insulation and will cover with 1/4" ply.  I will be using the roll on bedliner on both the top and bottom of the floor.  I may cover with marine carpet to finish it off.  I will have 6 holes and will use catch covers.

Framing and sheathing: I am using 2x2 framing with 2x2 top plates.  I will have four 24x24" windows and a 30x80" door.  The door is going to have a key pad so friends on the lake can use it if I'm not around.  I purchased a product called LP Smartside from Menards that is weather resistant and primed.  It weights 40lbs per panel which isn't terrible, though I didn't want to fork over the money for aluminum and I didn't like the looks of steel siding. 

Heating:  I purchased a Three Dog Stove from a company called Four Dog Stoves.  They seemed to make the best quality for the money without being overly heavy.  I plan to vent the stove out of the side wall. 

Interior:  I plan to wire 12v power for LED lights, fans, and a few odds and ends on a panel.  I want to fabricate two fold down benches on each 8' side that will double as beds.  At the moment I am not going to insulate anything except the floor since I don't want to get cooked out of the shanty and can always add it later.

Where I'm fishing: Primarily Big Green Lake in central Wisconsin.  I may move it to some surrounding lakes like Winnebago, Little Green Lake, or Lake Puckaway depending on fishing conditions.  Lake trout jigging, northern tip up fishing, and panfish are the primary fish targeted.

Transportation: I have a studded 1100CC snowmobile that I want try to use.  If not it can always be pulled around with a truck or friends vehicles.  I don't plan to move this much since I will have portables available to hole hop on my sled if needed.  I plan to winch it on a tilt snowmobile trailer to get it on and off the ice. 

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The Glory Hole - 8x12 Shanty Build
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Got lumber around noon and wasn't planning to start until Monday, but I started messing around and by the end of the afternoon I had most of the skid framed out. 

Thanks to my friend Jake for letting me use his pole barn...big help.

Notching 2x10's

Framed up for fun.  This thing is going to be a beast!

Does anyone have a good recommendation for attaching the 2x4's to the notched 2x10's?  I was planning on using joist hangers on the sides of the 2x10's to make sure its secure and also putting a few screws on the top of the 2x4.

Offline phil.from.cassopolis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2015, 09:48 PM »
That's pretty sweet man great start

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2015, 07:54 AM »

Hurricane clips should hold 2x4's in ok I would think. Nice start!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2015, 11:09 AM »
How do you plan on fastening the UHMW to the runners?  I used 1/4'' x 2 1/2'' aluminum and bolted it to the inside of the runners and then bolted the UHMW to it.   If you use a solid hitch I would attach it to the skis and use it for jacking so your not jacking on the frame of the shack.  Looks good and you should have no problem hauling it with your sled, just pack a trail and go. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2015, 03:06 PM »
If you don't have a lot of slack in the slots, you will be surprised at how much hold wood glue and a screw will give you.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2015, 04:54 AM »
I'm wondering what made you decide to notch?
If I were to do that, it would be for added strength because I intended to glue and screw. There would have to be a benefit for giving up 3-1/2" of ground clearance.
Otherwise why not just put em on top if you're gonna be using hurricane clips anyway?

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2015, 06:27 PM »
How do you plan on fastening the UHMW to the runners?  I used 1/4'' x 2 1/2'' aluminum and bolted it to the inside of the runners and then bolted the UHMW to it.   If you use a solid hitch I would attach it to the skis and use it for jacking so your not jacking on the frame of the shack.  Looks good and you should have no problem hauling it with your sled, just pack a trail and go.

I have 1 1/4" SS screws that I will be screwing in every 6-12" that will be countersunk.  I saw the aluminum you used and thought it was a good idea, though I think between notching, ties, and screwing into the runners there will be more than enough strength. 

I'm really interested to see how your hitch turns out.  I'll likely save that till the last part since I'm still trying to figure it out.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2015, 06:29 PM »
I'm wondering what made you decide to notch?
If I were to do that, it would be for added strength because I intended to glue and screw. There would have to be a benefit for giving up 3-1/2" of ground clearance.
Otherwise why not just put em on top if you're gonna be using hurricane clips anyway?

I wanted to go for added strength, reduced weight, and not have it be sitting too high off the ice once I block it up.  I decided to go with joist hangers and I'll also be using some screws and wood glue just to be overkill.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2015, 08:41 PM »
I wanted to go for added strength, reduced weight, and not have it be sitting too high off the ice once I block it up.  I decided to go with joist hangers and I'll also be using some screws and wood glue just to be overkill.
I LIKE IT!!!! A man after my own heart...... If its worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2015, 04:58 AM »
Looks like a great start.  Look forward to seeing this one evolve.
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Ripped all of the 2x2's today and put the skid together. 

Quick lesson learned, don't skip pre-drilling in crucial areas or you'll end up starting all over.

Joist hangers seemed to work very well.

All put together.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2015, 06:21 AM »
Great start! That is wicked rugged, keep up the good work  :tipup:

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Put the floor together this morning.  I sandwiched 1/2" rigid insulation between 1/2" treated ply and 1/4" ply.

Here is my likely hole layout.  Red box is the wood furnace.  Benches on each 8' end.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2015, 06:56 PM »
I also got the UMHW runners on and they are awesome. 

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Hey Guys - quick question.   I am about to paint the bottom of the skid along with the floor.  I was planning on using bedliner but I'm worried that this might not be the best idea.  It's kind of a once-shot deal to get this right - especially on the bottom since I will not be able to paint underneath it once its built - so I started to question if bedliner is the best solution. 

Am I on the right path or should I be looking at an epoxy or waterproof sealant?  Or even a quality exterior paint?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2015, 04:05 AM »
Painting the bottom with bedliner would definitely keep it water tight and last a long time.  If it was me I'd paint the bottom of the skis with the bedliner and then cover them with aluminum because the bedliner is rough and doesn't slide easily because of it's rough texture.  Putting the aluminum on there would make it slide a lot easier and last a lot longer.  For the aluminum you could get a roll of coil stock to use

luv2fish2

« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2015, 04:35 AM »
i'm a painter by trade and i would prime it with oil based primer and 2 coats of good latex exterior semi gloss i personally like  home depot's behr brand.  like you said if ya don't get it right the first time you're gonna have to wait till next year . nothings gonna be infallable but that's the best protection . bedliner is not made to go on bare wood at least prime it if go that route 

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Put bedliner on the skid today

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2015, 06:19 AM »
WOW! Even caulked all the floor joists to the floor sheathing, 5 star construction!

Thanks for the update and pics, looking really good  :tipup:

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Thank you!

Do you guys have any recommendations on the interior/hole layout?  I was thinking of going with 8' benches on each side but with 28" jigging poles, it gets kind of tight in there with the furnace in the middle. 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2015, 12:35 AM »
I had a similar layout to what I think you are planning.  Door in the middle of 12' side with heater across on opposite 12' wall.  I had two 8' bench/beds on each end that slid out to a full bed that could sleep four.  I put four holes in, one at the head and foot of each bed.  I had plenty of storage under each bed.  This shack was a sleeper, we stayed three or four nights every trip.  Mounted the rods over bed so fish would wake me up easy, I also put a picture of the drying rack that worked awesome.  Hung boots by heals upside down and all gloves, hats ext went up top. The pictures are not the greatest, but they may help.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2015, 01:12 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing those details. That's exactly what I'm planning on doing.

Did you find that layout worked well? Would you have done it the same way had you built another 8x12?

I liked the duplicate sides and the amount of room you have walking in. The only downside is not having a card playing table...lol.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2015, 07:49 AM »
Congratulations on making a great shanty. 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2015, 08:13 AM »
Your welcome, glad the pictures helped.  I wish I had put a table in, but my buddy had a table and we played cards in his shack.. This shack was a good fishing, cooking and sleeping layout.  With four hole options, I always had a camera hole, and with two guys  each one had their own holes and bed.  When the wife and kido came they slid the bed extension out and were cozy as could be.  I still had my holes to fish all night and they could sleep in.  I'm not a big fan of the table/bed, so my new shack will have a dedicated table.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 13, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Decided to change up the hole layout.  One of my buddies is a guide and gave me some feedback that was really helpful.  Ultimately I had to decide whether I wanted to build a party shack or something that we could catch fish out of. 

I'll be able to fish with this layout and I will just be using folding chairs.  I found with a bench that it was very difficult to be able to switch between panfish and lake trout fishing because of the size of the rod. 

The door will be in the upper left corner, the wood furnace is the paint tray, and windows will be along the right long side and 8' side. 

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Finished the floor last night.  Purchased recycled rubber mats from menards for $30 each.  They seemed to work really well though I may put some aluminum down to fully cover the seams.  Catch covers are expensive but really make things look nice.

Started framing the long walls tonight.  I should have the entire shack framed up by this weekend.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 19, 2015, 10:45 AM »
The old man came to help out and we framed up the rest of the shanty.  I made the mistake of buying a door taller than my wall framing.  It was such a dumb mistake I couldn't help but laugh.  Guess I'll be picking up an RV door.

Offline Webby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2015, 07:47 AM »
Looks GREAT!
"The best two times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not raining!"

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 03, 2015, 12:12 AM »
Been spending too much time chasing smallmouth and ducks lately. I managed to house wrap and sheet the shanty. The LP smart side is really nice to work with.

Girlfriend helping out

Panels on

Exterior

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.