Author Topic: Ice shack build  (Read 33693 times)

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice shack build
« on: Sep 08, 2015, 08:19 PM »
I'm building a new shack to fit the family and always enjoy posts on shanty builds, checking out others ideas ext.  I figured I would post my build since we don't have ice yet.  Hopefully this gets the blood flowing I know I'm wound up for fishing :o  I sold my 8'x12' and decided to go bigger building and 10'x16'.  I'm building it as if it was a cabin, because hopefully some day I can get land on the lake and then clear an area and it will be a summer cabin and winter ice shack. 
I built the skis out of 20' 2x8's used 1/4'' aluminium angle iron to hold the 1/2'' uhmw to and to help save weight.  Ran 1/2'' all thread to hold ski sections together and glued all together as well.

If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice shack build
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2015, 08:03 PM »
I used 1/4'' on the bottom of floor to hold the 3 1/2 '' of insulation and 3/4'' T&G for the floor.   I went with 2x3's for the walls.

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2015, 10:31 PM »
Nice, I'm following.

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:57 PM »
That's a awesome start
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Holy Moses that is a huge shack! I am tuned in, thanks for sharing! Looking good so far  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Love the skid setup! Just my opinion, but if you building the shack for the long haul, I would suggest putting headers over the doors and windows.

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Love the skid setup! Just my opinion, but if you building the shack for the long haul, I would suggest putting headers over the doors and windows.

Why?

Offline Bits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2015, 09:02 AM »
Wow! big shack!--looking good!--but, I would agree, it might be a good idea to put a header above the windows & door, for reinforcement--you could have problems in a few years with distortion from moving it--then the windows might not slide freely (depending of course on what type you would install) & the door might bind, due to the larger opening in the side structure--have built a couple of small sheds, & had door binding (no windows in sheds) from settling--doesn't take to much to bind things-- :) :)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2015, 09:45 AM »
WOW that's going to be huge.  Good luck with it.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Thanks!  I put a lot of time and thought in the skis for sure.  The only way to haul a shack this big is with good skis and 12'' wide skis will help spread the weight out.  I will be putting headers to help when jacking and hauling the shack.  I tossed the walls up so see how they looked because I had to jump on the bird and head to work for a few weeks.   This work thing is no way near as much fun as building the shack.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Why?

Just like in a house... the headers transfer weight to the studs and also reduce sag.

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Just like in a house... the headers transfer weight to the studs and also reduce sag.

There is no weight to be distributed.  He's not spanning much of anything (ok...I do see one window opening).  I can see a single 2x3 warping, but beyond that, it's not supporting anything.  The sheathing should give it rigidity.  Many old houses were built without headers in certain areas...I believe in stick construction.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2015, 11:11 AM »
There is no weight to be distributed.  He's not spanning much of anything (ok...I do see one window opening).  I can see a single 2x3 warping, but beyond that, it's not supporting anything.  The sheathing should give it rigidity.  Many old houses were built without headers in certain areas...I believe in stick construction.

To each their own I guess... Just a comment. Anything else you would like to debate?

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Seems about this time every year, I start my way back to this site.........love the shack/cabin, I will be checking for updates, really appreciate the pics!

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2015, 11:59 AM »
To each their own I guess... Just a comment. Anything else you would like to debate?

Thanks.  Trying to stay on topic, I was wondering how much the 1/2'' uhmw cost.

Offline ML Crappie King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2015, 01:08 PM »
A 4' x 8' sheet of one half inch thick uhmd is around $350.   Google Plastics International for more specifics.
Ottertail County - Most lakes of any county in U.S.

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2015, 01:12 PM »
A 4' x 8' sheet of one half inch thick uhmd is around $350.   Google Plastics International for more specifics.

Ok, I was looking at another site that had (quantity of 1) for twice as much.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2015, 06:58 PM »
It is not cheap, but without it I would be hard pressed to move the shack.  I wanted one solid piece with no splice, but the quote was $1,200 to do the skies.  I opted to go with 3/8 and when I went to pick it up they just got a bunch of 1/2'' 4x10 sheets in at a great price and they sold it for $250.   I checked online for the same UHMW that I got and it priced out at $884.  Great deal.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2015, 07:11 PM »
Looks like a great project!

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Nice looking shop you have there!!!  I could use one.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Looks good dude should be nice and cozy at 50 below.  What's your plan for the hitch are you going to set it up to pull with two sleds or do you think your swt will pull it?  How is Dubes coming along haven't heard from him all summer? 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Looks good dude should be nice and cozy at 50 below.  What's your plan for the hitch are you going to set it up to pull with two sleds or do you think your swt will pull it?  How is Dubes coming along haven't heard from him all summer?

I think the skandic will haul it, but I bought an argo from a guy at work and I'm sure it will haul it.  Took it out the second day of moose season and shot a cow, it swam across the river with a moose in it...awesome rig.  Worked out perfect, done with moose season so I can work on the shack :)

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Off topic, but we have snow on the ground and ice forming up north ;D

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Off topic, but we have snow on the ground and ice forming up north ;D

Oh, quit bragging :)

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 13, 2015, 08:33 AM »
I'm so glad your building this... I've been toying with a similar ski design.
The only thing I'm worried about is if moisture and water builds up inside the cavity of the pontoon, it won't be able to escape. Is it possible to make it completely water tight, even through the abuse it will see?
Thoughts on that?
My design is a little different, a much smaller shack. I'd like to build a 4'x10' and use big wide skis so I don't have to build it real high in case of deep snow. I'm hoping it will "float" on the snow. I'd like it nice and low.
I was going to use plywood for the sides/risers, and 2"x blocking in between. Bend plywood for the bottom and 2 strips on uhmv on each for the sliders. So the poly strips will contact the ice/trailer, and if I have deep snow the plywood will float on it.
How on earth are you going to transport that thing...? It's wider than any trailer I can think of.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 13, 2015, 11:27 AM »
I'm so glad your building this... I've been toying with a similar ski design.
The only thing I'm worried about is if moisture and water builds up inside the cavity of the pontoon, it won't be able to escape. Is it possible to make it completely water tight, even through the abuse it will see?
Thoughts on that?
My design is a little different, a much smaller shack. I'd like to build a 4'x10' and use big wide skis so I don't have to build it real high in case of deep snow. I'm hoping it will "float" on the snow. I'd like it nice and low.
I was going to use plywood for the sides/risers, and 2"x blocking in between. Bend plywood for the bottom and 2 strips on uhmv on each for the sliders. So the poly strips will contact the ice/trailer, and if I have deep snow the plywood will float on it.
How on earth are you going to transport that thing...? It's wider than any trailer I can think of.
I built the skis pretty tight, but not sure they will be completely water tight.  A buddy mentioned drilling holes so water could get out, but that would be counter productive letting snow and water in.  I treated the skis inside and out and the caulked the seams. 
If you want your shack to float go with the wide skis, but I wouldn't make it too low because you will plow snow and have problems.  All the other shacks I built have 6'' wide and 6'' high skis lined with uhmw and they tended to plow snow.  My hitch was mounted on the inside of each ski, so it was the first part to drag on my 8x12 shack.  The hitch on this shack will be mounted on the top of the 8'' high ski.  I bet I hauled my 8x12 shack a few hundred miles with a snow machine over the course of 8 winters and learned a few things that I will be doing differently with this shack.  #1 wide skis, #2 8'' tall skis, #3 hitch mounted on top of skis.  I will be hauling it up to the lake on an dovetail equipment trailer and will need a permit , flashing light and wide load sign.  I pay to leave the shack at he lake, so I don't have to haul it again.  One road trip ;)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 13, 2015, 04:08 PM »
That Argo is the way to go right there I'm thinking now I need to build a big shack and hire you to drag it out for me.  Congrats on the cow I arrowed a spike last tues, it is a great feeling to know your freezer is full and ready for winter.  I think your little girl is digging the Argo to.  Can't wait to see you guys on the ice this year it's going to be a good year.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Sep 13, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Ya the argo will be nice keeping the kids warm and hauling the hole family.  Last year when I took Maddy up the temp dropped to -40, she did good, but not great conditions for a 3 year old.  I'm going to set up a tarp garage that I can attach to one side of the shack, roll out set a few post in the ice and use a propane heater to heat an area up for the machines on the cold days.  I going to check with Alaska tent and tarp to see what they can make with a zipper for the door.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 14, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Do you think 1/2" is the way to go for the uhmw or would thinner have been durable enough? Was it easy enough to bend? I've never worked with that stuff.
What did you treat your wood with?  A deck stain or something?
That's awesome you found a place to store it. 
Your build has my head on fire, makes me wanna jump in. My 8x10 is tired, I'd rather not try to get it back out there this year.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Sep 14, 2015, 08:03 AM »
This is the first time I have used 1/2 ".  I used 3/8" before and never had a problem splice and all.  1/2 " is better, more meat for the screws for sure.  I used a heat gun to slowly heat the uhmw and worked it onto the ski.  I used a deck stain on the skis.  I'm away from home working and it is killing me not being able to work on the shack.  This site eases the pain a little.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.