Author Topic: ice anchors?  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ice anchors?
« on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Eskimo, ice angels or climbing anchors? Leaning toward the ice angels or the Eskimos because I can't justify the cost for climbing anchors because I don't think I would use them enough. I also like the idea of put the ice angels in without having to screw a lag in. Any suggestions?
Fish on!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ice anchors?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:07 AM »
Eskimo.....I tried them all just got the Eskimo's this year  ... had the drill adapter etc with all the other brands ...hands down Eskimo are the way to go ....will not bend ...go in real easy ....no huffing n puffing n 4 letter words ...in and out like a dream .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:14 AM »
So you did use the adapter or not to install them hardwater?
Fish on!

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Just bought a clam shelter along with the clam ice anchor tool for the drill. It snapped in half installing the 4th anchor.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2014, 12:54 PM »
I have heard guys dipping a rag or a towel in water then throwing it on bare ice so it frezzes down. I personally always tie down to my truck rim. then shovel snow around the bottom.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Just bought a clam shelter along with the clam ice anchor tool for the drill. It snapped in half installing the 4th anchor.
Oh boy! Sounds like a  made in China issue. If they screw in easy im not getting the adapter. Cause that is just more $=-9 to take out on the ice that you won't really need unless your drilling ice with it too.
Fish on!

Offline jimmythegreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I jsut got a pair of HT red T-handles and they go in SUPER easy.  I have 2 holes in the corner of my nanook 2 man and one in the center.  I use the center for normal days and the corners for windy days, the shanty doesnt move at all.......Im talking the back corners BTW

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:22 PM »
The clam tool also doesn't work for Eskimo anchors. I built this little gem from a weed burner end, spark plug socket and a little plasti-dip for tools

Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Thats a nifty little tool you made yourself,I am going to make one  with just a socket,also just some first hand info, if you try to use lag bolts like some guys have said you need to pre drill in order to get them in,so after finding out lags didnt work for me I tryed useing some 3 1/2" self tappers and fender washers and they dont go in either,so I made a quick change bit I just found a socket that fit  my drill bit for pre drilling and welded it in I drill my hole pop off the drill bit and pop on the socket and drill them in,I had no other options because I couldnt get any ice anchors locally and allready spent the money on all stainless lags and fender washers so I had to make them work,I havent tryed tapcons yet but I plan to they have a differant thread pattern any might just work with out pre drilling I will find out tomorow

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:33 PM »
It seems like the one thing most shelter owners, no matter what brand they have, agree on is Eskimo has the best anchors hands down.  I saw the other day that Korky's had them, a two pack for $11.95.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:27 PM »
From everything i read im leaning toward the eskimo anchors but they seenm to be running out.
Fish on!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:32 PM »
So you did use the adapter or not to install them hardwater?
     no adapter needed for eskimo ....would not fit any way....very thick/heavy metal  unlike no other I have
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Oh boy! Sounds like a  made in China issue. If they screw in easy im not getting the adapter. Cause that is just more $=-9 to take out on the ice that you won't really need unless your drilling ice with it too.

I finally got an email back from their CS dept after 5 days and was told they do warranty the adapter but they are out of stock for the season so I should check back with them after the season and they would send me a new one. Sheesh, I need it now. It isn't going to do me much good to get a replacement in July.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:59 AM »
I have used both the Clam and the Eskimo anchors and have mixed reviews on both,  The Clams were hard to start so I had to make starter holes in the ice with a screw driver in order to get them to work.  The very tips of the Eskimo anchors were so thin and flimsy they would start well if I had a crack in the ice in the right place to start them.  If not and I had to put any kind of weight behind them to get them started the tips usually bent over and I had to break them off to get a good tip on them again.  Then it was back to using the screw driver to start a pilot hole with them.

I did get the clam anchors and driver to work the best.  I put the driver in an old brace and bit and was then able to put enough pressure behind it to ease them in.  Worked pretty well.

Offline justfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where should I fish today??
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:41 AM »
A friend at work welded a nut on top of the anchor and then just use a socket and brace. May do it myself.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:24 AM »
i have 8 of the eskimo anchors and they work great. a couple taps with your hand and they start right in.

Offline FiveOFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Never had a problem with my eskimos, and we were in 40mph winds a couple weeks ago. I bring a drill with me and drill a small pilot hole first to get them started. I found when I first got the shack it was a pain to get the anchors in. Once you started cranking them down, it would turn a couple turns, and then break off chunks of ice. Drilling a small pilot hole fixed that problem and I can have 4 anchors in the ice in a matter of a few minutes.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Here's mine

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Couldn't find the eskimo anchors but found ice angels on e-bay for $15 shipped so I went that route. Next year I might look for them again.
Fish on!

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:01 PM »
I bought this cheep hut it's ice cube that thing has the best ice anchors I used.  They are a t handle and just like an aggressive lag bolt but I just rap it with a hammer twice and screw them right in way better than the ones that came with my clam. My dad looked and can't find an they have a red rubber on the t handle part. Been working on my own to mock them

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:09 PM »
It sounds like you have the HT Ice Anchors.
You can purchase them for about a buck each so its hardly worth trying to mock them.
I also have the Eskimo Ice Anchors and they are the best in my opinion.

Here is a pic of the HT ones.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Yup that's pretty much it nine font have that ring but works awesome best I have used. Bites right in with a wack or hammer nice sharp deep grooves.  Do you know where I can buy them at? A buck each hell that's cheep my dad wants a set

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Here is a place to start.  http://htent.com/catalog/item.php

Up here is Canada we can buy them from Canadian Tire and they are two for $2.99. I am sure they are cheaper in the lower 48.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:41 PM »
That's seems like a really good place that link don't seem to be working.  As in no pic and I looked through there stuff can't seem to find them on there

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Click on Shelters/Sleds and then Shelter Accessories...that should get you to the correct place.

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Thanks that worked I found an 8.50 for two I wonder how much for shipping im gonna shop round.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Thanks that worked I found an 8.50 for two I wonder how much for shipping im gonna shop round.

Check Fishusa, I just ordered some for free shipping. I think they are the same anchors?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.