Author Topic: Indiana Ice Shack Build  (Read 16049 times)

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
Indiana Ice Shack Build
« on: Dec 03, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Since we live in the land with little ice, we travel far to find it.  Alot of our expense is tied up in fuel and lodging so i decided to try and build a shack that we can rough it in for a few nights.  I attached a picture of my bottom 1/4" aluminum tee runners that will attached to 4x4's.  I also have a preliminary sketch showing a plan view and section of the idea.  I am using 2" foam panels that are white painted light guage steel.  This shack will ride on the trailer with an atv as well.  Hopefully the atv can pull it with the runners being like ice skates rather than skis.  I wanted to load the front end with weight so the front 2 skis transfers load to the atv, like the weight of an engine loading the front 2 wheels in a truck.  Thought about using crawlspace vents for my top vents.  Also saw a link on here about using a fan to circulate heat form the top down a duct toward the floor.  Our bottom bunk also acts as the fishing seats and the top bunk will hinge for storage.  The load from the bunks is transfer into a center ski.  Shelf on the opposite side is for whatever plus camera and flashers.  Any thoughts commetns?  Going to start soon.

Floor Plan

Section

Ski tee runner

Panel and tee ski

Very excited

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Re: Indiana Ice Shack Build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2012, 04:10 PM »
 Build It Says I .... Sounds Kool     :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2012, 10:00 AM »
looks like it will work out great for you keep us posted cant wait to see the finished project.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:14 AM »
I will keep up with pictures.  Had a few design tweeks.  Like we just figured out the atv won't fit on the trailer with the shack on it.  So...  putting the atv inside the shack.  Also realized I have to good way to transfer weight to atc for traction.  Anyway, I'm just going to start building tonight anyway.  The cool thing about these panels is that you can thermally break the metal and make it non condensating.  None of the inside facing will hit the exterior elements so it won't, or at least shouldn't, condensate.  We'll see...

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Looking forward to the updates Limit_Out, always exciting to see new ideas and a plan that comes together. Have fun ;)

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Cut the panels to length today.  In one picture you can see a small cut which provides a thermal break to the exterior.  All of the perimeter gets this cut to prevent condensation.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Got some cheap labor today and we spent a few hours working on the shack.  These panels are discards from a demolition job so they needed quite a bit of prep work.  Had to remove the caulking from all of the tounge and groove joints.  The little man was a troppers washing the panels as I scrapped witha razer blade.

Got all the wall, floor and roof panels clean up so I nailed down a cedar cleat and laid out the floor pieces.  Put a bead of NP1 in the goove and used foam to bond the joints.

Used a tie down strap to pull joints tight until framing angle was installed.

Got the framing angle installed and called it a day.  Lots of rain tomorrow so this may be it for a few days.  We had a lot of work to get this far, should speed up now.

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Man thats awesome Mike... Looks like some great plans and it's starting to come together.... Can't wait to see the progress and I will have to stop by and check it out in person.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Thanks - Casey your shift starts around 8 pm Thursday night.  The cheap labor needs the rest then.  Teaching the boys to create something with their hands when I can.  I'll hit the OB and fill up some growlers before you arrive lol

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Put a few walls up tonight

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Looks like its taking shape....as far as my shift...I could definitely do quality control on the growler but as a handy man your boys would probably put me to shame....but if you need someone to hold a wall or tighten a screw I can earn my keep with the best of them...lol...do give me a shout if you need some muscle or an extra hand.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Work on the skis a little today.  Cut some 1.5" stainless angle on 22.5" angles and welded them up.  Drill some pilot holes to attach into wood skis.

Got all the walls up and my son had a blast filling up the joints with the foam

Trimmed out the inside and ready to add roof panels and dry it in.

Turning out pretty nice so far.

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Coming together nice...man those boys seem to be growing like weeds...looks like he is having a blast building and helping Dad.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:23 PM »
After having installed the a few times at various places...I've often thought that walk in cooler/freezer panels would make an awesome ice house!  I've even seen a lot of them made out of insulated garage doors.  Looks awesome!  Should be fairly light too!

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Thanks guys.  My boss is cool....  The thermal breaks are made by cutting the the metal on the interior panel within the wall thickness or ceiling thickness.  It does not allow the metal to extend all the way to the exterior, thus breaking the route of cold temps into the shack.  Got it all seal up on the exterior side.  We turned on the lantern and immediately melted out the snow.  I think it's going to be extremly effecient.  It weighs almost 1,200 lbs without gear inside according the lbs / sf of the material used.  Boys are having fun helping.

I lifted it off the deck and blocked it up.  Floor is sturdy.  Started wrapping the corners with flex flashing before I trim out the metal.  Working on the 5'x4' door today and tonight.  It's big enough to drive the atv inside for hauling down the road.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:45 PM »
These are 2" panels and what you see is the hinge side of the door.  I took a jig saw and ran it down the side to demlaminate the foam from the metal sides.  Used my claw hammer and roughy dug it out to accept a 1.5"x2" buck.

Used some foam to fill voids and bond in back together

Fasten in the blocking for the hinge.  The jamb on the shack was done the same way.  No sure yet it I can use standard hinges or if it's too tight and have to use a piano hinge so I ran full blocking.

Door is trimmed out ready to dry fit for hinges.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:23 AM »
nice looking job! been checking on your build a couple times a day.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Got the door hinged up with spring loaded hinges.  Left it shy about 3/8" all around to allow for some movement over the season.  I will add some weather strip to the inside of the trim.  Got the exterior corners and panels joints all secured with some scrap trim inside out.  If it didn't start to mist I would have flashed it out today.  2 move trips out and the exterior will be flashed and trimmed out.  Almost ready to start the inside holes and bunks.  Then skis and done.  Few more days, when I get the time.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2012, 02:05 PM »
We have winter finally in the forecast tonight so I needed to get the exterior done.  Got all the seams caulked in and all of the corners flashed.  It's not weather tight, all that the exterior needs is some cosmetic base trim and outside corners to hide the flashings.  Very pleased that I beat the weather and got all my garbage and tools put up.  I need to start the fish holes, skis and bunks next.  This thing is really strong and tight.  It's on 12" long blocks and the floor does not flex at all with 3 people standing in the center.  Very happy with the progress.  I have been dead set on selling it wherever we end up fishing to the best offer.  I wanted this to be my test build for my next one.  I might not even try to sell it I getting so attached to the thing.  The caulk joints on the roof are ugly, but they hide.  In a hurry and used some really crazy all weather gum type caulking that is difficult to apply.  The vertical joints on the sides are done with time and look sweet.  Door is still swinging good and the margins around it seem perfect for some play if needed.  Now it's back inside and ready for some more family time.  Merry Christmas everyone.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2012, 02:07 PM »
The walls and ceiling are R13 and the floor is R27.  These foam filled panels might be the ticket....

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Looking good ...come on ice...thanks for keeping us updated with the build and with pics...merry christmas.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Very nice looking! keep up the good work.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:44 AM »
Got up before work and ripped down my window mullions out of HDPE white material.  I plan on (4) 8"x8" double pane windows with a 1/2" air gap in between panes.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2012, 03:04 PM »
I made part of the windows today.  I cut 1/8" plexiglass into 8"x8" squares and laminated 2 pieces onto 1/2" HDPE stock, creating a 1/2" air gap between panes.  Stacked them for curing overnight.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Cut out all 4 windows and the 2 floor hatches.  The windows should allow you to see tip ups and the 4th window is higher over the cook top stove.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Windows worked out nicely.  They adhered well and are extremely light.  Next I framed 2 bunks our of 2x4 and 1/2" cdx.  30" wide and 7' long.  The bottom bunk is also the fishing seat.  They will both hinge and be able to stow against the wall to allow atv to fit inside.  Used spray glue to add 1/2" foam for some cushion.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2012, 06:29 PM »
nice build

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Finally got back after it and worked on the skis.  I roughly cut down the skis to accept the stainless shoes.

Installed 2x4's inside the shack on the floor and lagged through them and the floor into the skis.  Bolted up the eyes for towing.

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:41 PM »
it's coming along great Mike... great job... that thing is even more impressive in real life... should make for a nice unit for your trip...tight lines ;)

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Made the wife happy and loaded the shack up and out of the back yard.  Going to drop it along side the house and trim it out over the next week.  Still have to mount bunks, trim out fish holes, install windows, install vents, carpet, exterior trim and lighting.

It loaded up pretty easy with the trailers winch.  Pulled the pin and slide it back off once I moved it.  Very pleased.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.